+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon Itemization Concerns

Rift Team

Default Dungeon Itemization Concerns

I wanted to stop by real quick and fill people in on some of the things we are working on for rewards in our end game content. First off let me put to rest a major concern people have expressed, we donít intend to make RIFT a grind to progress. That being said weíre not terribly fond of handing things to players on a silver platter either.

Recently we made a number of changes to plaque drop rates, this change was targeted at some of the heavy grind groups that were taking full advantage of the fact we originally tuned those reward numbers for more casual players. It was also fueling the misconception that gear was intended to be earned primarily through the store, which is also un-intended. Ultimately the store is intended as a supplement to more traditional reward mechanisms (loot drops, crafting, etc). Goal wise we want to see most players have a reasonable split between store and dropped items. That being said different types of players will skew this one way or another. For example heavy hardcore dungeon grinders will rely more on drops b/c they donít want to slow their pace up to take full advantage of dungeon dailies, whereas more casual players will likely have more store items b/c they tend to play less frequently and will accumulate more plaques over time b/c of it.

With that being said lets go a bit deeper into specific things people will be seeing very soon (probably in 1.1 or shortly thereafter)
    1. We will be retiring plaque rewards from Expert dungeon zone quests entirely, and replacing them with a series of daily quests with larger reward payouts.
    2. Players can complete both T1 and T2 expert dungeon dailies, giving players that are further along a reason to go back to earlier dungeons and do a run or two.
    3. We are adding upwards of 100+ items into expert dungeons to help fill in a number of itemization gaps players have helped us identify

Ultimately those players who choose to grind out as many dungeons as possible every day will see improvements mostly related to the new item drops. Whereas players who choose to run dungeons at a slower rate will see a pretty decent uptick in rewards via plaques of achievement.

In addition to this we will also be looking a bit deeper into the rewards granted by our raiding content. There will be a number of adjustments going live in 1.1 with more to follow. I donít have final details to share with everyone, but I can say some of the rewards from Greenscale will see a noticeable improvement over what is currently dropping for example.

As always weíre dedicated to bring our players the best experience possible while still retaining a sense of challenge and accomplishment, and we will continue to monitor these changes and adjust accordingly over the next few patches.

- Gersh

Soulwalker

Very happy to see this coming down the pipe. Can't wait to see what y'all have cooked up.

Banned

wow very cool indeed. Any more dungeon forum qq that was not addressed there? He basically just answered everyone.

Gersh who do you think was #1? Addiction or ssN? Only question I did not see answered.

As someone who has very limited time to play the game but wants to play in the high-end, I like the idea of dailies. Need a little bit of time to digest it all.

So, at the beginning of the (server) day, there will be a new T1 and T2 dungeon randomly picked out that players can go through and get their "daily plaques"?
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Sounds great, I look forward to it!

Soulwalker

Couldn't be happier, thrilled that you guys are listening to your Community. Looking forward to getting a few drops on my Justicar in T2 ;) Thanks Trion!

Plane Touched

From grindfest to dailyquestfest.

Hopefully you will increase the number of quests you can take at once, in the quest book.
    Last edited by Fufy; 03-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks for the 2 updates tonight, such simple things as a few paragpah post like this, giving us your plans and/or direction, puts the players at so much ease. Compared to my last MMO (eq2) Where the players haven't had a clue the direction devs were taking in years. If you keep posting stuff like this I will be one happy rifter.

Plane Touched

Oh, and if you want to see most players have a reasonable split between store and dropped items, maybe start to fix items that are not available (Foe-Slayer Barbute says hello!, reported many many ...many times, still not in game). Also, make store items interesting because there's always a better drop version than the ones in store and half of the armor you can get in store is just garbage. (+hit everywhere, so much that you're over-caping, lack of crit, etc...), i won't talk about weapons, rings or neck, as they are completly useless (blue crap weapons) and accessories are non-existant.

Plane Touched

I'm excited for this change. I figure in 3 or 4 months, as more and more people hit 50 and start to get gear, at least we'll be able to run more raid rifts, raids, and such. Just because a player hasn't been 50 long doesn't mean their a bad player after all ^_^.

I think store items should be just slightly under drop items. Reading the post above. Gives incentive to continue doing dungeons. Plaques should be a leg up not a crutch.
    Last edited by Crimsonkirie; 03-22-2011 at 10:04 PM.

Could it really be possible we found the perfect developer in Trion?
    Seriously...

Telaran

And what about fixing the scripting issues of most of your T2 bosses that are either too easy and does nothing or are bugged like plutonus and does no damage at all or the final ***** in caldera that have her animations broken. And add more 5 10 man content fast nothing to do already in this game and i play only 5 hours a day

im glad i didnt rush to 50
    "Go to heaven for the climate, go to hell for the company"

(sig made by rabb1t)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyeli View Post
    im glad i didnt rush to 50
    why ? if you had rushed you would have enjoyed the 15 plaques per completion all the progress guilds did ending upp i near full t2 armor within a week.

The change to 4 plaques only hurt the rest of us.
    Harkain:.
    .:Admin | Precept
    www.precept.cc

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Harkain View Post
    why ? if you had rushed you would have enjoyed the 15 plaques per completion all the progress guilds did ending upp i near full t2 armor within a week.

The change to 4 plaques only hurt the rest of us.
    Um, no. The original quest completion bonus was 5 plaques per T2 and with each boss giving 5. They nerfed the per boss plaques down from 5 to 2 and increased the reward from completion.

And in all honesty, the plaque reward gear is meh. Much better gear drops in the dungeons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast