+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AOE role a problem in dungeons or switch to single target role?

Soulwalker

Default AOE role a problem in dungeons or switch to single target role?

Sorry for the noob question but I haven't yet attempted any dungeons. I am fast approaching 50 and currently enjoy a heavy reaver spec which of course has a lot of AOE dots.

My question as the title says is; does an AOE role like Reaver cause too many problems in terms of pulling adds? Would I be better changing my role for dungeons to a single target orientated spec?

Thanks.

Soulwalker

You can aoe pull and aoe down most pulls in most dungeons.

Shadowlander

i am confused. What you trying to get at? that you would pull too many ads? or you pull of tank? kinda confusing what you wanting a reply too.

because

a) You aoe pull to get aggro on yourself better. and use the dots to keep aggro aswell.

b) Reaver is a defensive soul so best used when tanking.

make sure you not specced into any abilties that give more aggro when using certain moves if your not tanking. Tanks should have aoe taunts so to aoe mobs down should be fine. I use aoe all the time as champ and i never pull aggro.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Canar View Post
    i am confused. What you trying to get at? that you would pull too many ads? or you pull of tank? kinda confusing what you wanting a reply too.

because

a) You aoe pull to get aggro on yourself better. and use the dots to keep aggro aswell.

b) Reaver is a defensive soul so best used when tanking.

make sure you not specced into any abilties that give more aggro when using certain moves if your not tanking. Tanks should have aoe taunts so to aoe mobs down should be fine. I use aoe all the time as champ and i never pull aggro.
    Thanks for your reply as it answers my query. Sorry to confuse you - what I meant was more in terms of the aoe's causing a problem for the tank maintaining aggro but it seems not to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Thanks for your reply as it answers my query. Sorry to confuse you - what I meant was more in terms of the aoe's causing a problem for the tank maintaining aggro but it seems not to be the case.
    It's not an aggro problem, but you may pick up some extra groups in more tightly packed areas. I saw a rogue who was poorly positioned do that twice this morning. Yes, you can aoe. No, it's not necessary. The safe route is to mark and kill in order. Maybe it's a little slower, but it's effective and you'll still get done in a reasonable amount of time.

50 experts are not like the /faceroll leveling dungeons. If the entire group's not working together ... really working together, you're most likely going to wipe and it only takes one weak link.
    Last edited by HighFive; 03-23-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Sticky some #$%#^$# guides so that people stop asking the same question for the 100th time or posting information that is clearly wrong.
    "Death to the dragons!" -
    Defiant NPCs
    "I will do my part, but I have no desire to play the hero" -
    Kira during Unseen Agent quest chain
    "Death is the best interrupt" - Guildie one night when we were doing expert RD
    Saga of the Endless guide: http://www.unseenagent.net/guides/qu...of-the-endless

Plane Touched

If you're AEing as Reaver, you're definitely gonna cause issues for your tank if you're DPSing. If you're tanking obviously it's fine, but reaver abilities tend to generate additional threat, it's a tanking soul.

Rift Disciple

CC is rarely used in dungeons and mobs stick to tanks like glue so spam AoE as you see fit. The only way I manage to pull aggro is with an archon buff during the pull, apparently mobs hate that way more than being burned alive...
    Last edited by Fooba; 03-24-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Soulwalker

I had a problem with a Reaver pulling aggro off of me the other day. I just started tanking a little different and he wasn't pulling them off of me as often. Mind you we did have a problem with him picking up adds that we had not expected.

Champion of Telara

aoe is fine in t1/t2s, just make sure tank has agro and atleast 9k+ hp for t2s and rotf so they don't get wtfpwned in half a second
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

+ Reply to Thread