+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is there no enrage timer on bosses?

Default Why is there no enrage timer on bosses?

I am just asking.

Why are most of the bosses without some kind of dps check.

I am not talking about some really high dps needed. Just so you can't do most of the bosses with tank+healer+bard.

Why is it like that?

Soulwalker Swagger McStrutprance's Avatar

Kill the boss before the cleric runs out of mana, kind of a damage check

Quote Originally Posted by Swagger McStrutprance View Post
    Kill the boss before the cleric runs out of mana, kind of a damage check
    Yeah, especially when you have a bard that gives the cleric back 25% mana every 2 min.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post
    I am just asking.

I am not talking about some really high dps needed. Just so you can't do most of the bosses with tank+healer+bard.

Why is it like that?
    There are enrage timers (Frenzy, I think they're called) on a lot of bosses, but they're very very generous timers. I think they could probably use some tightening up.

ssN's Boss Video Repository.
    Every boss in the game.
    1080p.
    Multiple POVs.
    What more could you want?

Yeah, especially when you have a bard that gives the cleric back 25% mana every 2 min.
    Most of the fights I finish correct (not superb dps, just no deaths) results in cleric having 80% mana (with bard). Tier 1 speaking.

This early on they're focusing on making the game fun for the average player.

Who cares if they're not aiming at making your epen feel bigger, WoW's already doing a fine job of that with failcatlysm.

I am just asking.

Why is it like that?
    I can't imagine doing T2 content having 2 mages as dps if there were fast enrage timers given the current state of the game. Being fully decked out in T 1.5 gear and doing blue rogue dps is all kinds of fun and would be even moreso with enrage timers.
    One by one... they take aim at themselves and fire. This is like letting your opponent beat themselves...

Prophet of Telara

I am just asking.

Why is it like that?
    And the problem with being able to do it wth T+H+B is ... ?

Rage timers are an artificial means of making a fight 'harder' when the designers run out of meaningful mechanics: if a fight needs a rage timer it's a fail of a fight.
    Last edited by Kragorn; 03-21-2011 at 06:52 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    And the problem with being able to do it wth T+H+B is ... ?

Rage timers are an artificial means of making a fight 'harder' when the designers run out of meaningful mechanics: if a fight needs a rage timer it's a fail of a fight.
    Yeah I've never seen much point in Enrage timers. If the fight is manageable enough to go on for so long that one would be needed the fight itself should probably be retooled to either kill the group through normal mechanics eventually, or to die. Though I do enjoy fights that are built as DPS races, just not ones that are straight up 'After X minutes, Boss does uber damage and everyone dies within 10 seconds'.

Champion of Telara

Enrage mechanism basically says 'this is guy is so easy that you can fight him indefinitely without running out of mana, so it has to magically end after X minutes to be of any challenge.'

Quite a few mobs have ramping mechanism the longer the fight gets that will prevent you from delaying the fight forever. I assume they're just there to make sure you don't have 4 healers in a group and just bore the mob to death as opposed to punishing low DPS.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
    Enrage mechanism basically says 'this is guy is so easy that you can fight him indefinitely without running out of mana, so it has to magically end after X minutes to be of any challenge.'
    Actually: the idea is to force you to take geared DPS to the raid. Without an enrage timer, bosses depend entirely on the quality of tank and heals/support.

If given infinite time, a size N raid with 1 tank and N-1 heals/support can't fail.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Kalos View Post
    Actually: the idea is to force you to take geared DPS to the raid. Without an enrage timer, bosses depend entirely on the quality of tank and heals/support.

If given infinite time, a size N raid with 1 tank and N-1 heals/support can't fail.
    That's only if there are no ramping mechanism of any kind. For example if there are adds that spawn as a function of time, they'll most likely overwhelm a 1 tank + all defensive configuration unless the adds have so few HP that DPS is not needed.

If a fight can kill someone faster than the collective rate you can battle rez someone, then you do not have infinite time to complete it.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Astarica View Post
    That's only if there are no ramping mechanism of any kind. For example if there are adds that spawn as a function of time, they'll most likely overwhelm a 1 tank + all defensive configuration unless the adds have so few HP that DPS is not needed.

If a fight can kill someone faster than the collective rate you can battle rez someone, then you do not have infinite time to complete it.
    Or something like the last boss of Fall of Light Hook - there's no set amount of time you're limited too, but eventually you run out of space to move the boss and die to the crystals. You can extend how much time you do have through proper planning and strategy, but there is a point where you will fail not because of an enrage, but because the standard mechanics of the boss caught up with you.

Rift Disciple

There are lots of dps-checks in game. They dont have to be based on an enrage mechanism to exist.

In fact t2 CC is just a great dps check.

Rift Disciple

Default This isn't WOW

Bosses get tired like everyone else. After 10 minutes, they are too tired to enrage and swing harder, its an endurance fight.

Gotta agree with the poster above about those timers being an artifical difficulty mechanic. If its a difficult fight and your group cna dance the dance for an hour, congratulations, you win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast