+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternate tanking gear

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

Default Alternate tanking gear

I know a lot of people have probably already said this but that is a major lack of alternate tank gear in expert dngeons. And with alternate tanks gear I mean Cleric and Rogue tanks. I have done every expert now multiple times (with the exception of expert Deepstike mines) and have not seen a single non-plate gear with toughness or avoidance stat. This mostly comes into play when doing T2 experts because the gear is significantly more expensive to buy from the vendor then there T1 brothers.

The biggest problem with this is that as a cleric or rogue tank you will have to spend 650 plaques (elder relic vendor) just to get the 4 slots with toughness on them (shoulders, chest, legs and boots).
    However it doesn't end there there are still the other slots to be filled which consists of head, belt and gloves. Which also drop with tanking stats on plate gear in experts but there are no drops with dodge/parry/block on chain or leather. So we will have to also buy those slots from the vendor which is another 350 plaques.

So a rogue of cleric tank will have to spend a 1000 plaques to get a full tanking set at T2 quality where a warrior tank could get every slot without spending a single one (obviously they will buy some slots unless they are very lucky with drops). Now at 25 or 27 plauqes per T2 run (5 or 6 bosses) you will have to do 38-39 complete runs to get a complete tanking set. A warrior tank will probably be done after about 20-25 depending on his droprate luck.

Another lack I found was the low amount of 1H spellpower maces (only seen 1 blue in expert RD from first boss). A cleric tank could use a spellpower dagger but most of there attacks are still (partly) dependent on weapon damage and a dagger is faster then a mace which results in a lower amount of threat.
    Last edited by Radak; 03-18-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Radak View Post
    I know a lot of people have probably already said this but that is a major lack of alternate tank gear in expert dngeons. And with alternate tanks gear I mean Cleric and Rogue tanks. I have done every expert now multiple times (with the exception of expert Deepstike mines) and have not seen a single non-plate gear with toughness or avoidance stat. This mostly comes into play when doing T2 experts because the gear is significantly more expensive to buy from the vendor then there T1 brothers.

The biggest problem with this is that as a cleric or rogue tank you will have to spend 650 plaques (elder relic vendor) just to get the 4 slots with toughness on them (shoulders, chest, legs and boots).
    However it doesn't end there there are still the other slots to be filled which consists of head, belt and gloves. Which also drop with tanking stats on plate gear in experts but there are no drops with dodge/parry/block on chain or leather. So we will have to also buy those slots from the vendor which is another 350 plaques.

So a rogue of cleric tank will have to spend a 1000 plaques to get a full tanking set at T2 quality where a warrior tank could get every slot without spending a single one (obviously they will buy some slots unless they are very lucky with drops). Now at 25 or 27 plauqes per T2 run (5 or 6 bosses) you will have to do 38-39 complete runs to get a complete tanking set. A warrior tank will probably be done after about 20-25 depending on his droprate luck.

Another lack I found was the low amount of 1H spellpower maces (only seen 1 blue in expert RD from first boss). A cleric tank could use a spellpower dagger but most of there attacks are still (partly) dependent on weapon damage and a dagger is faster then a mace which results in a lower amount of threat.
    I agree, I somehow thought this would be different since I had the understanding that a cleric went for chain, that simple. Now I find out we need different stats at endgame IE toughness, and no loot or gear that gives it to you (or not much) is kinda pathetic

RIFT Community Ambassador Radak's Avatar

It just became even worse for alternative tanks.
    With the change of 15 to only 4 plauqes for a T2 dungeon completion you are now look at 66-67 runs to get all the available tanking gear which is pretty insane compared to what warrior tanks will have to do.

Plane Walker

Indeed, this change was a heavy blow to Riftstalkers and Justicars since the vendor is pretty much our sole source of gear. Only piece I ever saw dropped we're some kind of tank spec leather pants from Fetlorn in IT.

I can understand this partially, and I didn't even mind not getting drops in instances but buying them instead, but this just made my way to Greenscale ALOT longer.

Soulwalker

Agreed. They couldn't think of (many) worse changes to discourage people from playing Rogue/Cleric tanks. I'm not asking for free gear, like nearly every mage I've ever grouped with gets. I just want to get my purely bought tanking set (which is my main role, and 3/4 of my roles total) in a reasonable amount of time.

Actually making our tanking pieces, and adding them to loot tables seems to be the best solution if they intend on sticking with this plaque change.

It's a bit frustrating to watch 4-5 warrior tanking pieces drop in the same run knowing that if I hadn't rolled a cleric I might actually have a decent set of gear on.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Radak View Post
    Are you sure about this part? I recall in beta they normalized the damage to the weapon speed, so an ability with a 30dps 2s swing weapon should deal the same damage as a 30dps 1s swing weapon, all other stats being equal. I haven't done any testing of this, just my understanding of the patch notes at the time.

Though daggers are usually worse anyway with the lack of tanky stats and emphasis on Int and spellcrit instead of Wis and End

I am pretty much starting on gearing in T1s, and am definitley sad to hear I'll have to spend a while in T2 before I have the gear necessary to be useful tanking past it.

At least 150 focus is easy enough. Can always be support justicar healers!

As a 49 Riftstalker right on the edge of 50 to hear that my tank gear is scarce is very discouraging =/ I dont want my guildmates all getting geared up and through content leaving me in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Reklis View Post
    As a 49 Riftstalker right on the edge of 50 to hear that my tank gear is scarce is very discouraging =/ I dont want my guildmates all getting geared up and through content leaving me in the dust.
    There are drops in T1 for rogues, though they are pretty rare. You'll get some good weapons and I got a nice helm the other day (sniper's hood) with 403 armor on it and some good (albeit geared towards DPS) stats. I also have almost all of my T1 set (I'm 3 plaques from the helm) and I'm using a chest I bought from a player (crafted) that has 25 toughness on it and 435 armor (along with the rest of the stats).

Gearing up in T1 isn't that hard. You'll spend a bit of time doing it, but it'll go fast. Doing T2's is going to be an exercise in frustration though as they take longer to complete and even trash mobs take a while to kill sometimes as some of them can have around 74k hp each in a pack.

I wouldn't give up on RS, though. With as many complaints as there's been on drops I'm sure we'll see some more leather added and the drops fixed here shortly.

Plane Walker

Gearing up for T1's, and gearing up for T2's is not a issue. The next step however, from T2 to the raid segment, the gear for Justicars and Riftstalkers is harder to come by then plate for sure.

Soulwalker

agreed regarding to the Justicar gear issue...

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Reklis View Post

This will pretty much never happen, also if your guild bails on you and leaves you without a group you might want to think about finding a guild that wants you there.

Each faction has either DPS gear or Tanking gear for each class, not every faction may have what you need. But you can obtain at least 3-4 pieces of gear by grinding rep from normal instances, (takes about 8-10 runs on normal to max out a reputation), really not that hard. Also, you can buy gear from t1 vendors that will help as well. There is also 1-2 pieces of gear that can be crafted for tanking for your class.

Yes, not having gear in instances drop for you is a pain but it doesn't change the fact that there is other gear out there you can obtain to keep you in the loop of the rest of your guild.
    EOIGaming Community Manager
    www.eoigaming.com

I would like to add my support to the call for more alternative tank armor and weapons in t1 and t2 dungeons and or vendors. I am a cleric and gearing up has been hard and costly yet I saw a guildie get lvl 50 with his warrior and start tank 10 minutes later. His main was a cleric and he had tanked quite a lot and he basically said cleric is harder to gear and harder to tank with and that warrior was just plain fun to tank with.

Doesn't seem fair we have to scrabble about for dribs and drabs of gear when I see warriors able to tank from lvl 50 in dps gear and not have too many issues in t1's.

Soulwalker

Will add my vote to this, seems rather short sighted that as a Justicar tank I am forced to farm instances for plaques everyday (really dont mind it though as it is fun) in order to buy gear that warrior tanks can easily get while doing the same runs from drops.

As for the shield and weapon: There are a couple of shields that drop in Expert Deap Strike Mines 2nd boss and I believe 5th and there is also anther shield that drops from the First boss in Expert Charmers Caldera.

As for maces: Yes there is the blue mace from the first boss in Expert Runic Descent, however there are other maces. There is a mace that drops from the spider queen in Expert Foul Cascade and the one I use is a nice drop from the 5th Boss in Expert Charmers Caldera.

But yes as for armor, they really need to show some love to Cleric and Rogue tanks.

Plane Touched

Also an epic 1h mace from last boss of LHx... though of course you might have to contend with cleric casters for it, if any are in group Me, I'm still using an orichalcum dagger for tanking.

And yeah, as far as armor drops, the only ones I'm using are caster ones, some of which work fine for tanking too, outside of lack of endurance perhaps. I've seen plenty of tanking drops for plate as well as "accessory" items like necks that have tanking stats. Well actually I did also get a tanking trinket for myself. But other than that it's mostly craftables (chest, weapon, shield) and plaque items (boots, gloves, shoulders, caster belt).

Then again, I don't really get to tank anyway, I always end up healing

Rift Chaser

Trion screwed up in my eyes. They announced they would be improving the loot tables to help itemization issues while also placing less emphasis on plaque gear by upping the costs and adjusting the plaques gained.

However, they didn't upgrade the loot tables yet. So you either grind and buy the plaque gear now or wait for some ETA on loot upgrade and hope to get that gear.
    Last edited by Greggatron; 04-03-2011 at 10:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast