+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How are Expert rifts compared to expert dungeons?

Default How are Expert rifts compared to expert dungeons?

Are they like T1 or T2, or even easier or even harder?
    Phanto <Three Crowns>
    Level 50 Mage
    Alt: Enfir Level 50 Cleric
    EU-PvP Bloodiron

Right now the Expert Rifts seem to be on par with a T1 dungeon. Each is different so some are more mechanic based, while the next is more melee/magical/etc. If you are currently farming T1 I would absolutely reccomend taking on a few expert Rifts. The Death one was very easy and a good starter as everything is well phased.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Would you recommend having T1s on farm prior to attempt Expert Rifts, or can you do them in between? My guild has started Expert T1, but farm from labeling them as on farm.

Would you have a suggested ranking in terms of difficulty? You mention Death being the easiest.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

Quote Originally Posted by am0nr3 View Post
    Would you recommend having T1s on farm prior to attempt Expert Rifts, or can you do them in between? My guild has started Expert T1, but farm from labeling them as on farm.

Would you have a suggested ranking in terms of difficulty? You mention Death being the easiest.
    Assuming you have at least one dcently geared tank and healer, I would hit up the expert rifts. They really aer not difficult in terms of damage and mechanics. More importantly they have different loot tables and can help with rounding out some of those odd gear pieces.

If you want to cheese-ball one the first time, simply take 8-10 people and destroy a few to learn the mechanics. Be sure to rotate folks in! After you know the fights they are very easy and we did a few with 3 people just out of boredom the other night.
    The mind of a perfect man is like a mirror. It grasps nothing. It expects nothing. It reflects but does not hold. Therefore, the perfect man can act without effort.
    New battle theme for the awesome racial changes: Big bouncing Bhami, bravely bounding by bizarre beasts, before battle begins.

Death is currently the only one I got rep for, so yeah I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the replies.
    Phanto <Three Crowns>
    Level 50 Mage
    Alt: Enfir Level 50 Cleric
    EU-PvP Bloodiron

Quote Originally Posted by phantomax View Post
    Death is currently the only one I got rep for, so yeah I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the replies.
    Death =

Click the glowy, stand in that corner for the buff (the buff varies by location) protect the NPC for that wave. Next wave, next wave. Some silly boss that does moderate AoE and needs to be tanked away from the group and finally a caster guy who is beyond easy.

I think the only threat you'll get is the melee guy and the adds are not tauntable until they get closer, but DoTs and such will build threat as they run up.

Goodluck!

Soulwalker

We did an expert rift this morning and, I have to say.. it was pretty easy. Not much to it, the fights were pretty much tank n spank. Not sure if we had to many healers or what. I was healing but was bored most of the time. Our tank was not 'geared out' and it was a rogue tank. I think during one of the phases when we had 1 boss he summoned adds which healed the boss from 1/4 life left to Full health, we downed the adds and still had 2 minutes to spare to down the boss. 1 epic drop and a couple great essences dropped. all in all it was easy and do able with a pre or just starting T1 group of 10. PS with smart people not everyone doing whatever they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by HydroKane View Post
    We did an expert rift this morning and, I have to say.. it was pretty easy. Not much to it, the fights were pretty much tank n spank. Not sure if we had to many healers or what. I was healing but was bored most of the time. Our tank was not 'geared out' and it was a rogue tank. I think during one of the phases when we had 1 boss he summoned adds which healed the boss from 1/4 life left to Full health, we downed the adds and still had 2 minutes to spare to down the boss. 1 epic drop and a couple great essences dropped. all in all it was easy and do able with a pre or just starting T1 group of 10. PS with smart people not everyone doing whatever they wanted.
    Should be easy with 10, they are designed for 5. =)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by am0nr3 View Post

We ran three expert rifts last night (death, life, and air), and I've got to say I'm disappointed with the risk vs reward. With a five man crew that's been doing T1 and some T2, which theoretically expert rifts should be balanced against, it's very difficult to get beyond the third stage. This is likely due to the fact that it's non-instanced, and they expect people to show up which, despite scaling, always tends to trivialize things.

The problem we run into is that while the difficulty is quite enjoyable, the loot is absolutely horrid. If you can't make the timers for going beyond stage 3, you're going to get a blue item for the initiating group, and a (small) chance at a crystal sourcestone. Of the three rifts, we got one crystal sourcestone between all five group members, which I would think would be a standard reward at the least, given how absolutely TERRIBLE the stage 3 blue loot is. It's worse than basic faction blues (decorated) for the end game factions.

If you manage to bring a sufficient amount of DPS to beat the timers, you're looking at the possibility of getting an epic. Now the epic essences are nice, seeing as how that's really the only place you can get them (a few rare planar goods vendor ones), but the rest of the epic gear is, again, absolutely terrible. It's worse than T1 set pieces, which are in turn worse than T1 drops.

Personally I think the expert rifts (to stage 5, especially) for a five man group are a fair bit more difficult than tier 1 dungeons (king's breach manticores excluded), and yet the loot is tragically bad.

Note: Death expert rift is definitely easier than other ones, like Life.
    Last edited by Ayrriko; 03-19-2011 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayrriko View Post
    We ran three expert rifts last night (death, life, and air), and I've got to say I'm disappointed with the risk vs reward. With a five man crew that's been doing T1 and some T2, which theoretically expert rifts should be balanced against, it's very difficult to get beyond the third stage. This is likely due to the fact that it's non-instanced, and they expect people to show up which, despite scaling, always tends to trivialize things.

The problem we run into is that while the difficulty is quite enjoyable, the loot is absolutely horrid. If you can't make the timers for going beyond stage 3, you're going to get a blue item for the initiating group, and a (small) chance at a crystal sourcestone. Of the three rifts, we got one crystal sourcestone between all five group members, which I would think would be a standard reward at the least, given how absolutely TERRIBLE the stage 3 blue loot is. It's worse than basic faction blues (decorated) for the end game factions.

If you manage to bring a sufficient amount of DPS to beat the timers, you're looking at the possibility of getting an epic. Now the epic essences are nice, seeing as how that's really the only place you can get them (a few rare planar goods vendor ones), but the rest of the epic gear is, again, absolutely terrible. It's worse than T1 set pieces, which are in turn worse than T1 drops.

Personally I think the expert rifts (to stage 5, especially) for a five man group are a fair bit more difficult than tier 1 dungeons (king's breach manticores excluded), and yet the loot is tragically bad.

Note: Death expert rift is definitely easier than other ones, like Life.
    We tried a Life yesterday (partially T1 group). I have to agree with your sentiment. They really should drop T1 Expert style gear if you can't beat the timer, maybe T2 or a second piece of T1 if you can. Getting a blue (and a horrible one at that) and 150 Planarite is a waste and I'd rather just go do an Expert dungeon.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

+ Reply to Thread