+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon mechanics -- can we not have every fight be LoS/ground AoE checks?

Default Dungeon mechanics -- can we not have every fight be LoS/ground AoE checks?

Let me preface this by saying I think the overall difficulty of the endgame in RIFT is great. Sure we have two guilds that have cleared everything already. That's what, 60 people? (Since one of them did it with two raids). Out of the 1 million accounts Trion announced they had. That's 0.06% of the playerbase for those who care. If I had to guess, I'd estimate no more than 1% of the playerbase has cleared T2 experts at this point, maybe 10% have cleared T1s. That's pretty good for nearly a month after release. I don't think we'll see the "casual" raiding guilds clearing Greenscale for another two months at least, and by then there will be more content.

Now, with that said. I'm getting a little tired of fights where the sole or primary mechanic is to either get out of line of sight of the boss or not stand in fire/some fire-like substance. Personally, I've only done the T1s minus KB and the first half of AP and RD. But let's count shall we.

Fae: Boss #5, don't stand in fire.
    IT: Boss #4, get out of LoS. Boss #5, don't stand in fire. Boss #6, don't stand in fire (his ground AoE).
    FC: Going left at the start, Boss #2: don't stand in explosions. Boss #5, don't stand in fire. Boss #6, don't stand in poison.
    LH: Boss #2, don't stand in fire. Boss #4, don't stand in fire. Boss #5, don't stand in fire.
    AP: Boss #1, get out of LoS. Boss #3, get out of LoS.
    RD: Boss #2, don't stand in fire. Boss #3, get out of LoS. Boss #4, get out of LoS.

See where I'm going with this? Of the 30 bosses I've encountered at endgame, fully 15 of them (50%) can be summed up in one of two mechanics.

Why can't we get more interesting stuff? The only difference between many of these fights seems to be how much time you have to get to the relevant location, and whether or not you need to cleanse poisons off (spreading poisons are another mechanic we see constantly).

Where's the interesting mechanics? The interruptable casts (super annoying that every single boss I can think of is immune to interrupts except for the kings in IT). The aggro dumps. The add summons. DPS races. Bosses with stacking buffs that need to be dispelled.

Maybe this stuff is in the T2s I haven't been in yet, but quite honestly it's starting to feel like every fight is the same thing, just with different levels of precision required to execute where people need to be standing.

Your right about this but keep in mind this is only the first tier of raids./Dungeons.

For a company who never designed Boss Fight before i think they did an awesome job.

More variation is welcome tho, but there are only so many mechachins you can use.

PS. Soz for the bad english.

GR. sfere

Ascendant

There are plenty of bosses with more complex mechanics. Give the last boss in CC a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    There are plenty of bosses with more complex mechanics. Give the last boss in CC a try.
    Haven't done CC expert I admit, but the last boss in CC normal boils down to essentially the same thing -- don't stand in fire (lightning cone)

The cyclone boss is CC is pretty fun I like all the bosses from there.

As we've gone through experts I think each dungeon I enjoy more than the previous so far. I can't say the same about other games I've played. I just hope that keeps up for the last couple we have yet to try out.

I agree for the most part, in my guild we came to a new boss that no one in the group had seen before. we just went in with the assumption of "if you see something on the ground move, if you see the boss casting something, back up. and keep the boss turned away from the party"

and thats exactly what happened... so easy

but to be fair to Trion, i pug raided the desert queen akala today with 20 people... that was fun mechanics: a double boss fight followed by dps race adds that heal the boss if you dont kill them followed by the boss transforming into a huge elemental at ~45% which then proceeded to put a shield up that damages you 350 damage each time you damage the boss (heal race, dots included) while spawning many small adds that went for the healers... ouch

we got her down and had a BLAST, but we probably wouldn't have been able to do it with 10 people as it was designed for
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 03-18-2011 at 06:03 AM.

I think RD last boss has kind of a cool mechanic.
    Turn char away from the blinding darkness, kill adds - but don't stack them up and kite the boss. I think this boss only could've been devided in 3 subbosses, but I like it more this way! ;d

Shadowlander

Konstatine(sp?) is a pretty awesome fight. One of the fights where I went "Damn that's cool as ****". A lot of the fights are pretty standard, boring fights but I never expected amazing mechanics on every boss fight.

Scarn's pretty good too. Not a unique mechanic but a hard one, and it's pretty fun when you're trying to clear it for the first time.

Plane Walker

You are simply dumbing everything down to mechanics that are not really the same. Some of these bosses have conal AoE's, some are true AoE's, some are targeted AoE's, some have growing AoE mechanics, some have additional things you must do than just "move out of the AoE".

Anyone can dumb every boss encounter down to "kill the boss before you die", and call them all the same. The diversity is pretty good, you are just twisting everything to make it sound bad. There are bosses with everything you cried about in your OP, pay attention much?

Maybe try not playing a lolDPS and see that there are other mechanics people are combating against, that you are completely missing? They definitely do exist in the dungeons I have done.

Rift Disciple

You haven't seen anything yet, they have only copied the WoW encounters up through Wrath so far. We still have all of Riftaclysm to work through.

Plane Touched

Check out the Scarn fight for T2. While much of the fight "is" an AOE fight you'll find that the execution of the mechanics is actually really fun and different.

Shadowlander

Only boss I enjoy beyond the first kill is Konstantin, but it is way too easy. How hard is it to move left and right repeatedly?

Shadowlander

Default mm

Quote Originally Posted by zachary4828 View Post
    You haven't seen anything yet, they have only copied the WoW encounters up through Wrath so far. We still have all of Riftaclysm to work through.
    Um the entire heroics in cata were all
    : dont stand in stuff on gorund, get out of los etc, like everyboss cata was the dont stand on s*** on ground expansion

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by zachary4828 View Post
    And you realize all these encounters were copies of similiar mechanics in EQ and other games, yes? Ironic that the developers from EQ, EQ2, and the like, who are now at Trion make similar mechanics for Rift.

Furthermore, while mechanics, on paper, may be smiliar - many fights are still unique based on how these mechanics are put together which is, ultimately, what makes them fun.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Pachanoi View Post
    The cyclone boss is CC is pretty fun I like all the bosses from there.

As we've gone through experts I think each dungeon I enjoy more than the previous so far. I can't say the same about other games I've played. I just hope that keeps up for the last couple we have yet to try out.
    Cyclorax on expert I would rate as one of the most fun boss fights I've seen. If only it wasn't so absolutely lethal to my pet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast