+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The mini guide to Rift Invasions

Default The mini guide to Rift Invasions

Throughout your travels in Telara, you may have noticed that the skies grow an ominous color of red/purple/green or some other really strange color for the sky other than a nice sky blue. Upon this happening, some big baddies start yelling about doom, destruction, getting drunk, or lost puppies. This prompts some of your faction's (and some of the other faction's) NPCs to start shouting back!

"My sensitive ears!" you must think, they've gotten into a shouting match. Your NPCs will defiantly taunt the big baddies back and forth for a bit, then order YOU, the Ascended, to go stop them.

This is a Rift Invasion event.

When a Rift invasion event happens, a special event quest will automatically be accepted and tracked at the top of your quest tracker.

The various objectives can include:
    • Defend the Wardstones
    • Defeat Rift Invasions
    • Close Rifts
    • Defeat Footholds
    • Defeat some NPCs of a specific type
    • Defeat Giant Big Baddie (This will only happen once all the others have been successfully fulfilled)

The first objective and the last objective are almost always part of a Rift invasion, and you can have one or all of the rest in between. There are some special exceptions to this statement, but they are rare.

Common Myths and Misconceptions:
    1. I don't need to join public groups, they'll steal my loot and exp and detract from my Rift participation.
    2. Hunting and closing Rifts give me amazing rewards!
    3. Wardstones aren't really important. As long as we have one standing we'll be fine.
    4. The boss at the end drops all the good loot.

Public Groups are good. They buff, heal, and support you, often times without doing anything other than what they normally do. Many classes are designed where their abilities passively support their party members. Being in a public group will not detract from your overall amount of loot, and might actually contribute to it!

Rifts actually give very menial rewards compared to other parts of the invasion. Major Rifts (with elite monsters!) can give you blue sourceshards for blue equipment, but you have to be one of the top contributors in closing it, which means you have to get there first as well. The overall planarite for rifts, especially minor ones, is very low.

Wardstones are probably one of the most important aspects of a Rift invasion. Whether you get an epic, blue, or no sourceshard at the end isn't determined by your boss participation, but by your participation in the overall event. The more Wardstones alive at the end of an invasion, the better your reward is.

MYTH: You have to participate in a boss kill to get the sourceshard at the end.

This is completely false, and I've gotten sourceshards while across the zone from the boss, including epic ones. Bosses only seem to give you planarite, and only about 5-6 invasion forces worth at that. They're actually terribly lacking in the reward department for participating in them. However, if you let a lot of Wardstones fall, only some of the top contributors in the invasion event will even get a blue sourceshard, so boss participation is important as well.

But OP, I've not seen a single epic sourceshard since I left Freemarch/Silverwood, and I participate in every aspect of Rift invasions, what gives?
    The end reward for all players in the zone is based off of success of the invasion. You seem to only be able to get epic sourcestones if you defend ALL Wardstones from falling by the time you down the boss. Wardstones can fall really fast, so when the event is first starting, look where the invaders are headed and fortify one of those wardstones. Even if they're part of the invasion objective, closing Rifts should be the last thing on your agenda until all Wardstones are secured.

There are a few things you can do, like rally other players in general chat to lightly defended Wardstones that are about to come under heavy attack. Another thing you can do is use an ability called "Bless Wardstone". This is the guardian version at least, not sure if the Defiant version is called something different. What this does it is fully heals and upgrades your wardstone. This can be cast on a friendly or neutral wardstone a total of 3 times. The first two times you buff a wardstone it will gain a mini turret that will shoot enemies, and the third time it will give the wardstone an aura that grants players around it a bonus 20% to damage and 20% reduction to damage taken.

For Guardians, this ability can be bought in Silverwood off the planarite vendor for 50 planarite or in Sanctum at the Sigil vendor, in the room on the first floor of the Sanctum of the Vigil on the North side.

Soulwalker

Excellent info. Thanks for that.

Plane Touched

A couple of notes: the Defiant version of the Wardstone buff is, from memory, Augment Wardstone. Same price - 50 planarite - buyable from any planar goods vendor.

Augment/Bless Wardstone is a one-time purchase, so no need to worry about constantly bleeding planarite to keep it; it does require a Planar Charge to use (that crystalline-looking buff icon by your character portrait that nobody seems to know what it's for? That tracks Planar Charges. You can have up to three at one time. Charges are earned by closing rifts and used to fuel Ascended Powers, the most useful - and inexpensive to acquire - of which is the Wardstone augment.)

Note that defending Wardstones means, obviously, fighting off a lot of invasions, which in turn means a lot of chances for drops of invader boss artifacts. Even if you aren't an artifact-hunter, these sets are worth collecting, since they all reward a number of level-appropriate Puresources; extras seem to sell well and quickly on the AH, at least on my server.

One last type of reward worth mentioning is achievements - there are achievements for defeating most of the Big Boss Baddies, achievements for defeating the giant colossi that often spawn during/at the end of zone events, and achievements for defeating invasions (and footholds) of all six planar types.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadie View Post
    A couple of notes: the Defiant version of the Wardstone buff is, from memory, Augment Wardstone. Same price - 50 planarite - buyable from any planar goods vendor.

Augment/Bless Wardstone is a one-time purchase, so no need to worry about constantly bleeding planarite to keep it; it does require a Planar Charge to use (that crystalline-looking buff icon by your character portrait that nobody seems to know what it's for? That tracks Planar Charges. You can have up to three at one time. Charges are earned by closing rifts and used to fuel Ascended Powers, the most useful - and inexpensive to acquire - of which is the Wardstone augment.)

Note that defending Wardstones means, obviously, fighting off a lot of invasions, which in turn means a lot of chances for drops of invader boss artifacts. Even if you aren't an artifact-hunter, these sets are worth collecting, since they all reward a number of level-appropriate Puresources; extras seem to sell well and quickly on the AH, at least on my server.

One last type of reward worth mentioning is achievements - there are achievements for defeating most of the Big Boss Baddies, achievements for defeating the giant colossi that often spawn during/at the end of zone events, and achievements for defeating invasions (and footholds) of all six planar types.
    You also receive a special title for defeating all colossal invaders from each zone.

Freemarch - The Warden's Hand
    Iron Pine Peak - the Iron Willed

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    The end reward for all players in the zone is based off of success of the invasion. You seem to only be able to get epic sourcestones if you defend ALL Wardstones from falling by the time you down the boss. Wardstones can fall really fast, so when the event is first starting, look where the invaders are headed and fortify one of those wardstones. Even if they're part of the invasion objective, closing Rifts should be the last thing on your agenda until all Wardstones are secured.
    This is incorrect, but it's an understandable mistake.

The quality of sourcestone awarded is determined by the invasion. For instance, in Freemarch, the Claw of Regulos is the event that awards an epic sourcestone. No other invasions in Freemarch will ever give an epic sourcestone, and that event will always give an epic sourcestone if completed succesfully. It is also more rare than the others.

The thing is availability of the epic-level events drops off very sharply after the first couple of zones. For instance, in Moonshade Highlands, the Gorodon event is the one that will give you an epic shard. However, I've been in Moonshade for almost a week of play, and I've seen the Conchobhar and Agrona events probably like 6 times each, done the Water event (forget the name) 2-3 times, and never once seen the Gorodon event.

It doesn't have to do with defending all wardstones, you only need to defend enough wardstones to survive until the boss appears, and then, assuming you've reached a minimum level of contribution in the event (closing rifts, killing invasions, killing footholds, fighting the boss) you will get the sourceshard.

But the sourceshard that you will get is entirely pre-determined by the particular invasion that's happening.

Also, it's not a bad idea to start closing rifts early too, because a closed rift might cut down on the density of invasions at a particular wardstone. The rfits spawn the invasions so if you can clear some room around your base, you'll have some more time to react. But you don't want to lose a wardstone to close a rift unless it's the last rift you need to close and you have other wardstones available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeidrich View Post
    This is incorrect, but it's an understandable mistake.

The quality of sourcestone awarded is determined by the invasion. For instance, in Freemarch, the Claw of Regulos is the event that awards an epic sourcestone. No other invasions in Freemarch will ever give an epic sourcestone, and that event will always give an epic sourcestone if completed succesfully. It is also more rare than the others.

The thing is availability of the epic-level events drops off very sharply after the first couple of zones. For instance, in Moonshade Highlands, the Gorodon event is the one that will give you an epic shard. However, I've been in Moonshade for almost a week of play, and I've seen the Conchobhar and Agrona events probably like 6 times each, done the Water event (forget the name) 2-3 times, and never once seen the Gorodon event.

It doesn't have to do with defending all wardstones, you only need to defend enough wardstones to survive until the boss appears, and then, assuming you've reached a minimum level of contribution in the event (closing rifts, killing invasions, killing footholds, fighting the boss) you will get the sourceshard.

But the sourceshard that you will get is entirely pre-determined by the particular invasion that's happening.

Also, it's not a bad idea to start closing rifts early too, because a closed rift might cut down on the density of invasions at a particular wardstone. The rfits spawn the invasions so if you can clear some room around your base, you'll have some more time to react. But you don't want to lose a wardstone to close a rift unless it's the last rift you need to close and you have other wardstones available.
    I killed the naga boss in shimmersand about 15 times but only 1 time it dropped an epic,

its either RNG or a different mechanic

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Zeidrich View Post
    The quality of sourcestone awarded is determined by the invasion. For instance, in Freemarch, the Claw of Regulos is the event that awards an epic sourcestone. No other invasions in Freemarch will ever give an epic sourcestone, and that event will always give an epic sourcestone if completed succesfully.
    Sorry, that's simply incorrect - I got purples last night from both the Tidelord and the Mark of the Iron Tyrant (it was a busy night in Freemarch), and I've gotten blue from the Claw in the past. While it's certainly possible that there's another factor in deciding the quality of the event reward other than the number of surviving Wardstones (although that seems to me like the most likelly candidate, especially since it explains why epic rewards are rarer in the contested zones), it's not invasion-dependent.

Which boss it is does not determine what type of reward you get. Some invasions are easier to push to the boss phase sooner, and some just have less invasion forces to overthrow your wardstones, so you get to them and kill the boss faster without a wardstone ever falling.

For the guardians, I've gotten epic sourcestones for Gnarladon, Mar'kul, and Cinderon when none of the wardstones fell. When the wardstones fell, I got normal blue sourcestones for these same bosses. I've tested this across many zones. If defending the wardstones is the primary objective, it is what determines the loot type at the end. There are a few invasions that are time based, and the faster you complete them the better the reward.

+ Reply to Thread