+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: @ Rift about end game stuff

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Atrixiex View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that when WoW was released Molten Core wasn't released which means you can't count from release. I believe they introduced Upper Blackrock Spire as a 15m raid first and then Molten Core.
    MC was available at release, but part of the holdup for downing Ragnaros was the fact you needed to get 40 people geared up in fire resistance gear that was largely only craftable from drops in MC itself. Not to mention people having to level to 60 first (which took longer back then, remember EQ was the game everyone compared against at that time).

And greater fire prot potions (if they even existed at that point?) could only be made inside of one of the most annoying 5 man instances in the game.

So yeah, MC took a while just because of grinding the necessary gear requirement to survive the encounter and not actually learning the boss itself.
    Last edited by Caeldan; 03-17-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
    MC was available at release, but part of the holdup for downing Ragnaros was the fact you needed to get 40 people geared up in fire resistance gear that was largely only craftable from drops in MC itself. Not to mention people having to level to 60 first (which took longer back then, remember EQ was the game everyone compared against at that time).

And greater fire prot potions (if they even existed at that point?) could only be made inside of one of the most annoying 5 man instances in the game.

So yeah, MC took a while just because of grinding the necessary gear requirement to survive the encounter and not actually learning the boss itself.
    Also it wasn't that he was challening.

It was that Rag was _impossible_

Theres a difference there you know? Anyone remember the cockblocks in BWL preventing progression? Broodmaw Lashlayer's gate not opening after death for like an entire month being one...
    Last edited by ThermL; 03-17-2011 at 04:53 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valiana View Post
    As a new player of Rift and an ex-endgame WoW player who has been waiting for the real "wow-killer" to come along and played a lot of offerings so far (namely AoC & Aion) but always ended up back on WoW i'd like to add my 2 cents.

In Rift, the end boss of the only "proper raid instance" in the games entry level content has been downed 2 days after release by a guild which has a mix of players from top 30~ guilds in WoW and other games. This is the first time these players have played together as a unit and while they are obviously exceptional players with plenty of MMO experience, if this is as difficult as it gets for the next couple of months then people WILL leave. On the other hand the WoW guild Paragon full of bleeding edge players who have worked together to get world first kills for over a year didn't defeat the most challenging raid content WoW has to offer in it's latest expansions entry level content until 24 Jan, that's a whopping 48 days before everything was clear as opposed to Rifts... 2. Yeah.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there is no "Heroic" level of raid difficulty for these 20 man raids so as soon as the rest of the playerbase catch up what then? I am pleased to hear there is going to be new raids in 30-60 days but seriously they should be hard enough to keep even bleeding edge guilds entertained. Otherwise, prepare to find every PvE'r back in Azeroth, again, in a month or so.
    You can't pick and choose your dates like that.

For one it wasn't two days. Yes it was two days after they entered. But likewise in WoW it took Paragon a week to clear heroic BoT once they entered and that was heroic. Should they add expert raids? Yes, and they probably will. But its a matter of having raid content to ship or not then they need to have raid content to ship. If I was Trion I would release the second raid instance, River of Souls and then for Hammerknell I'd work on a regular and expert difficulty. Either way it won't make much difference, unless you add cockblocks you will never stop the top guilds from downing a raid in a week. Because they literally will just do it over and over till they clear it. Designing your game around such players is stupid and irresponsible as WoW found out. 90% of people will still be working on T1 Experts in a month so they won't be back in Azeroth. MAYBE the 10% of people now raiding...but I don't even think that will be the case, especially not with a new raid on the way.

Rift Disciple

Most of the people here are very ignorant of current raids in WoW. In the previous WOTLK expansion, WoW became quite easy overall, with the occasional difficult heroic raid content.

Now in Cataclysm however, the heroic raid content is both very complex and difficult, and very precisely tuned. The difficulty of the raids in WoW Cataclysm is what brought many players like me to Rift, because our guilds just cannot complete the raids in WoW.

Rift is WoW-lite when it comes to raiding and that is perhaps one of its best chances for success.

Shield of Telara

Believe it or not the reason WOW remains succesful where all the other MMO's that tried to challenge it effectively died within a month is because Blizzard know most of the people play the game for the tried and tested PVE gear ladder. Thus they at least try to keep it challenging or at least offer increased difficulty modes with improved loot.

Yes, you're probably right that the oh so uber people make up 1% of the games population but there are plenty of people who aren't in that percentage that still want difficult content to look forward to and keep them entertained. Plus, it's the people actually doing the raids right now that people are looking to, to review the endgame and decide for themselves whether Rift is worth giving up their current mmo for. If you want an mmo to be succesful, it's actually in their benefit to cater for hardcore players as these are the ones likely to keep long term subs and tell all their friends about it (then the millions of casuals will follow, much like what happened with WoW over the years).
    I htink you are 100% wrong. If you think 99% of the player base follows the 1% that take their online gaming like a professional sport, you are dillusional. Rifts content schedule is right on time. Less than half of the people that started on March 1st are even 50.

Again, even if every single hardcore player recruited 2 people to play and stay. That is 3%. I haven't been a Hardcore gamer in 7 years. I have had an active subscription or 2 for 12 years straight.

Millions of people don't follow hardcore gamers...The vast majority work, have families, go to school, have lives.

While it is nice to go to Tankspot or a site like such to get spoilers to lower the learning curve of an encounter, it hardly means that regular games wouldn't be able to do it in due time.

Hard core gamers need to get over themselves. Congrats, great, you were the first to figure out and win an encounter. Do you want a medal, or a chest to pin it on?

But it is time to stop fueling the idea that normal gamers care what you do. We don't. The only people that care are your little inner circle of the 1%

You can't compare content Blizz released in Cata and current content in Rift. Trion released an entire freaking game lvls 1-50. This means they developed from the ground up coding/ideas/tested/implementation for the world, an entirely new lore and story, warfronts, quests, rifts, raids, and dungeons.

I mean, yes it should be expected they release a complete game that can compete with selfish consumers (yes, I'm one of them), but we need to give some latitude or else our dreams of playing something aside from WoW for a fulfilling end game will never occur.
    Last edited by ethix; 03-18-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by ethix View Post
    You can't compare content Blizz released in Cata and current content in Rift. Trion released an entire freaking game lvls 1-50. This means they developed from the ground up coding/ideas/tested/implementation for the world, an entirely new lore and story, warfronts, quests, rifts, raids, and dungeons.

I mean, yes it should be expected they release a complete game that can compete with selfish consumers (yes, I'm one of them), but we need to give some latitude or else our dreams of playing something aside from WoW for a fulfilling end game will never occur.
    I approve of this +++

Quote Originally Posted by Landvia View Post
    I htink you are 100% wrong. If you think 99% of the player base follows the 1% that take their online gaming like a professional sport, you are dillusional. Rifts content schedule is right on time. Less than half of the people that started on March 1st are even 50.

Again, even if every single hardcore player recruited 2 people to play and stay. That is 3%. I haven't been a Hardcore gamer in 7 years. I have had an active subscription or 2 for 12 years straight.

Millions of people don't follow hardcore gamers...The vast majority work, have families, go to school, have lives.

While it is nice to go to Tankspot or a site like such to get spoilers to lower the learning curve of an encounter, it hardly means that regular games wouldn't be able to do it in due time.

Hard core gamers need to get over themselves. Congrats, great, you were the first to figure out and win an encounter. Do you want a medal, or a chest to pin it on?

But it is time to stop fueling the idea that normal gamers care what you do. We don't. The only people that care are your little inner circle of the 1%
    I'm a casual gamer.. and you are wrong. And do not pretend to speak for me either. Because you don't..
    and you don't speak for many other casuals either. You speak for yourself and yourself alone.

Do not publicly accuse others of trolling, please. It's not helpful. If you feel someone is trolling, flag the post and let us look into it. Thank you. ~ Vespera

Soulwalker

As a new player of Rift and an ex-endgame WoW player who has been waiting for the real "wow-killer" to come along and played a lot of offerings so far (namely AoC & Aion) but always ended up back on WoW i'd like to add my 2 cents.

In Rift, the end boss of the only "proper raid instance" in the games entry level content has been downed 2 days after release by a guild which has a mix of players from top 30~ guilds in WoW and other games. This is the first time these players have played together as a unit and while they are obviously exceptional players with plenty of MMO experience, if this is as difficult as it gets for the next couple of months then people WILL leave. On the other hand the WoW guild Paragon full of bleeding edge players who have worked together to get world first kills for over a year didn't defeat the most challenging raid content WoW has to offer in it's latest expansions entry level content until 24 Jan, that's a whopping 48 days before everything was clear as opposed to Rifts... 2. Yeah.

Correct me if i'm wrong but there is no "Heroic" level of raid difficulty for these 20 man raids so as soon as the rest of the playerbase catch up what then? I am pleased to hear there is going to be new raids in 30-60 days but seriously they should be hard enough to keep even bleeding edge guilds entertained. Otherwise, prepare to find every PvE'r back in Azeroth, again, in a month or so.

You couldnt be more wrong... aiming to please the 1% is stupid and bad for business. it took Paragon that long because they were being gated by the lack of gear. That's why it took longer. also it was not 2 days after headstart (the official launch really) so it actually took over a week. WoW's new content was cleared within a week of the **** coming out also. just not the heroic modes. you cant compare WoW's hardmodes to this game.

Soulwalker

If WoWs content even took longer..well they did have hmmm about 13 bosses to kill with Cata...no wonder things took a bit longer there huh. Rift is just starting out and doing really well IMO

Soulwalker

For the moron talking about Ragnaros not being killed before 5 months had passed, he wasen't in the game at release dumbass

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Valentir View Post
    For the moron talking about Ragnaros not being killed before 5 months had passed, he wasen't in the game at release dumbass
    lol..this 100 x

Also, this game just released for christs sake...how about we focus on the successful launch that happened, the highly stable game we are all enjoying and the fun we are having rather than immediately acting like a bunch of WoW-***** scarfing down content and demanding more immediately while ranting about failure.

Good lord...everything is fine boys and girls...calm down and give them a chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2