+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank damage

Champion of Telara Leggomyeggolas's Avatar

Default Tank damage

Is tank damage always spiky? My cleric is only 45, but I've healed about 50 dungeons already and tank damage either seems to be off the charts or non-existant. The most recent example of this is my last LH run. For the first boss I had to burn cds and pray it was enough, the rest of the run I kept a few hots up and spent the rest of the time dpsing. Is this what I can expect at 50?
    I told you so.

For the first part of 50, yes. High burst spikes on tanks.

I would imagine the longer the game goes on the more stable it will become when tanks start getting the correct amount of toughness along with more tank style stats.

Pre-50 The only real tank stat is Endurance, most aren't stacking that while leveling.

Champion of Telara Leggomyeggolas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heavens View Post
    For the first part of 50, yes. High burst spikes on tanks.

I would imagine the longer the game goes on the more stable it will become when tanks start getting the correct amount of toughness along with more tank style stats.

Pre-50 The only real tank stat is Endurance, most aren't stacking that while leveling.
    That's good to hear. I was worried damage was going to always be "lol that tickles" or "wtf try to heal through this" forever.

Rift Disciple

The other thing to notice is the calling you are healing.

I personally notice that warriors take constant streams of damage. Rogues tend to dodge a lot of the damage creating "spikes". I've only healed one cleric but it was similar to warrior except the cleric provided more self heals then the warrior.

Soulwalker

Yeah avoid heal warriors they right now are the worst tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Arantyr View Post
    Yeah avoid heal warriors they right now are the worst tanks.
    As a warrior tank, this.

It's stupid, in plate armor I get hit just as hard as the rogue over there in leather, but he has a bajillion damage shields, avoidance skills, and oh **** buttons that I have none of.

And here's why. Let's look at buffs that each calling gets.

Paladin (tankiest Warrior tank):

~15% armor
    +15% block
    +20% threat

Riftstalker (rogue tank):

+70% armor
    -36% damage taken
    +6% incoming healing
    +100% threat
    +50 all resistances
    +50% endurance

Justicar (cleric tank):

+160% (!!!!!) armor
    -15% damage taken
    +90% threat
    +195% of spell power to parry
    +30% of spell power to block

This ignores all the actives from all three trees, rogues in particular gain a ton of short-term mitigation. Warriors get an oh **** button that guarantees blocks for a couple seconds, that's about it.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by tordana View Post
    As a warrior tank, this.

It's stupid, in plate armor I get hit just as hard as the rogue over there in leather, but he has a bajillion damage shields, avoidance skills, and oh **** buttons that I have none of.

~15% armor
    +15% block
    +20% threat

+70% armor
    -36% damage taken
    +6% incoming healing
    +100% threat
    +50 all resistances
    +50% endurance

Justicar (cleric tank):

+160% (!!!!!) armor
    -15% damage taken
    +90% threat

This ignores all the actives from all three trees, rogues in particular gain a ton of short-term mitigation. Warriors get an oh **** button that guarantees blocks for a couple seconds, that's about it.
    you do realize all this balances out when you do the numbers on your higher armor plate and shields right?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Mulciber1261 View Post
    you do realize all this balances out when you do the numbers on your higher armor plate and shields right?
    No one cares about logic go away, Justicars and Riftstalkers have bigger % so they're obviously better.

As a warrior tank, this.

~15% armor
    +15% block
    +20% threat

+70% armor
    -36% damage taken
    +6% incoming healing
    +100% threat
    +50 all resistances
    +50% endurance

Justicar (cleric tank):

+160% (!!!!!) armor
    -15% damage taken
    +90% threat

From experience in high end T2s, even with all those fancy conversion numbers, supposedly huge avoidance, and over 11,000 armor, cleric tanks still take a crapload of damage, mostly spiky, with very few "oh ****" buttons.

Shadowlander

As a warrior tank, this.

~15% armor
    +15% block
    +20% threat
    Roftl. You have made my day(almoust fell of the chair laughing). I bet you have never played Pala.

Telaran

Default Magic Mitigation

i think there is also the point of Magic DMG and the Fact that Warriors have a whole soul devoted to mitigating it, where as a cleric and a tank i have no dmg mitigation at all and Rogues have very little as well. Except for the raw -dmg%`s
    My Tank Build - Justicar inquis shaman - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...Voz.EuRsqeekRR
    My everything else build - Justicar inquis shaman - http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00...0t0o.euMooe0zo

Rift Disciple

warriors can sub two other classes that have tank skills too. Cleric and rogue that is it, they don't have a sub class with very many tankish skills. So even if you take all 51 pts in paladin, you can still stick 15 pts into warlord for:
    10% armor
    5% block
    5% dodge

Shadowlander

Not to mention that there is a HUGE misconception that only endurance and toughness are tank stats for warriors. On the contrary - strength offers parry, block AND attack power for threat while dexterity assists with dodge. I think a lot of warrior tanks are just endurance stacking and not paying attention to the rest of the stats. Without a lot of block we are just rogue tanks with very little avoidance. We should be getting hit consistently (less avoidance) but for much lower amounts (high block = partial damage reductions).

As a warrior tank, this.

I'm a warrior tank and I DO NOT support this message.

Stop looking at % our base is higher so their % have to be high to catch up.

Warriors have plenty of tools to avoid the damage that really hurts be it magic or physical or aoe(yes party wide damage reductions)

In conclusion, warriors are fine.

Rift Disciple

As a healer i find Warriors to be the easiest to heal since the dmg is stable and i know its going to happen much like WoW atm since avoidance is scarce its easy to switch over to this level of dmg and easier to heal the group when u know hes about to take a hit just not much of it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast