+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trion: What's up with the number of gear drops in 20man instances?

Rift Disciple

Default Trion: What's up with the number of gear drops in 20man instances?

So Briarcliff celebrated its first raid kill earlier tonight with a Duke Letraeus kill led by Slash Flex, stay small NERDS and random acquaintances of the above guild. After about an hour and a half of reps, we finally got him down (enjoying the shardwide message and the sense of progress at getting it down post-buff and such).

Imagine my dismay as the MT/raid leader when I popped open the chest and we got... Two epics.

Two. One was a token for gloves and one was an epic caster ring.

Now don't get me wrong, the ring was well itemised and it's great to get the token but uh... That's just not enough loot. Assuming two pieces per boss that's 10 per week for 20 man raiders. I suppose that later bosses might drop more but...

My suggestion would be to up the number of items dropped to two tokens and two items. Or if you want to keep tier gear rare, one token and three items.. Four items per 20 raiders is a lot more palatable than two per 20.

Telaran

It's great to be honest. That way people may have to kill the same bosses multiple of times before they get enough gear to continue. People want harder game, this also means the gear available is hard to obtain in a larger ammount. If you're not happy with it, then I'm sure WoW got a system where it drop 3-5 epics a boss.

2 is alot for only 20 people. In other games 40 mans dropped 3 and 80 mans dropped 2. So 2 for 20 is plenty.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffycalico View Post
    2 is alot for only 20 people. In other games 40 mans dropped 3 and 80 mans dropped 2. So 2 for 20 is plenty.
    I don't get why people think that lack of gear rewards = harder game. How is having to grind the same boss 50 times over 50 weeks hard? Runebreaking all the double drops that will happen because no company bothers to make a system that scans the raid members for current drops and smartly drops something that isn't already looted by all?

It's just ******ed. Either make a smarter drop system or do as Blizzard and increase the drops to combat the random name generator to help people advance gear wise - instead of making lame gear gating encounters.

If gear mattered less or little it's not an issue, but in Rift gear matters a lot (contrary to WoW where you actually can compensate by not standing in fire and keeping a tight rotation).

Champion

I would prefer 2 items + set piece but to be honest 1 item + set piece is fine with me also.

My name is Larrie. I do not like certain people.
    Co-Leader of <Insert Coin>

2 bits of loot is perfectly fine. Anything similar to how Blizzard have screwed over their loot system will just crash this game into casual mode. The game will lose its gear progression curve that should be required in any MMO you play just so you don't kill one boss and raid dps goes up by 1k. The difference one piece of loot will make on one person is minimal if not negligible. Its when you have 3-5 upgrades that you will begin to see a difference due to the fact this game doesn't have over inflated numbers.
    Vexxe
    Level 50 DPS Warrior
    Co-Leader of <Insert Coin>

My other computer is an abacus.

Plane Touched

Grinding same bosses a hundred of times until you have enough gear to complete a tier and move on to the next one is silly. I don't see how some people find it much fun. I'm nowhere near raiding in Rift yet, but for example in WoW after Thursday's Al'akir my guild currently has downed everything but Nefarian. And I'm already sick and tired of the current raid tier, having had to grind it to death for gear. Especially as it's always the wrong loot that drops (hello, endless agi mail drops with no hunters / enha shamans in raid). And the same was true in TBC as well as Wrath.

It's nothing but a repetitive timesink. From a dev's point of view it of course makes sense to keep players playing more with artificial barriers like this, but how players find it FUN being forced to grind a boss after the first few kills of said boss... eh. This simply makes gear too much of a focus, rather than other things.

If I end up playing Rift long-term and start raiding, the endless gearing is bound to suck here as much as it does elsewhere. Perhaps even more so if the bosses really drop that few pieces, it'll take a hundred runs to gear up.

They have to keep gear drops small. If they gave you 6 epics and everyone in your guild was geared out in 5 runs and the encounter became trivial, you'd need somewhere else to go.

Slowing progression down by only offering a little bit of drops makes perfect sense to me.

Especially since there is only one real raid available in the game right now.

1 set piece does not drop every time

Shadowlander

double post
    Last edited by Naoya; 03-07-2011 at 06:05 AM.

Shadowlander

2 for 20 is fine. From what I saw there is 9 tier 2 bosses = 18 items pr week. Wich means, that when you kill all in a week you will get a new item almost every week. And it would take you about 2,5 months to exhange ALL of your items. Maybee 3 as not all drops will be usefull in the end. I don't think 2,5-3 months is an overly long time to get completely new gear.

Champion of Telara

It's just the first boss, 2 seems appropriate. If you killed greenscale and got 2 though... would expect 3-4 off him. But for first boss in instance, you aren't supposed to be showered with epics
    Do the herpty derp, please, keep LOSing your healers behind objects so you die.

Soulwalker

2 pieces is fine as long as they have intelligent looting in place.

Which probably isn't.

Snap

Agree 2 for 20 with a token is fine.

In AoC you have to roll on tokens like you roll on gear. Been farming T2 every week for 2 years and am still missing boots :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Torvax View Post
    Im an R8 Cleric.
    1 Rogue can annihilate 2 healing clerics together-Cross healing doesnt work against a rog. .

Champion

Be happy any epic loot drops. 2 items seems fine for a 20 man raid. Unless they make all the items soulbound, they can't really up the drop rate without breaking the market. Which happens in every game. I don't have a problem repeating something to get something I want. I do have a problem when all groups do is farm the **** thing to exploit the drops to make themselves wealthy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast