+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dev Response Request - Dungeon Finder On Radar?

Soulwalker

Default Dev Response Request - Dungeon Finder On Radar?

Devs!

First let me say how much I'm really, REALLY enjoying Rift! It's a breath of fresh air and I've been having a complete blast.

My one small exception to that statement is the anachronistic difficulty in putting dungeon groups together; I feel this is a step backward. My simple question is if such a game mechanic is on the radar? I don't need to know when exactly it's coming, only that it IS coming in something in the relatively near future (ie, within the next year or so).

Because I'm having a blast with getting the occasional group together, but I'm a dungeon-runner at heart and really want this feature streamlined. Holding out over some strange nostalgic romanticism for a more difficult 'mechanism' (which is to say, really, a lack of one) is foolish in my opinion.

I want a challenging dungeon, not a challenging manner to find comrades with which to face it.

Thank you for your time and hopefully your response on this at your soonest convenience. This is in no way something said in the mindest of the kind of forum-common 'threats' nor do I think anyone but me cares about what I'm about to say, but my reason for asking at all is if this is something that Trion isn't interested in doing, I'd like to know so I can stop playing and investing my fun time into Rift.

edit: My reason for posting separately from the two threads already raging on is that I wanted a specific post where devs might find it appropriate to respond directly on the question at hand, and less a thread for further debate on the merits of the idea.
    Last edited by NeverSleep; 03-04-2011 at 06:18 AM.

Telaran

Ok well thanks for putting together a nice post (although threatening to quit was going a little overboard), but I have to disagree with you. I don't want them to add dungeon finder. Sure sometimes it can take some time to put a group together, but it's *so* nice being able to actually form the group on your own terms. In a dungeon finder you have no say in what classes you get or anything, and it's refreshing to me actually having the ability to form my own group and choosing what the class/lvl comp will consist of.

An example of WoW's dungeon finder at its finest: You're doing a dungeon via RDF while lvling an alt. You're lvl 27 and guess what, you just got stuck in a group of lvl 22-23's. This happens a lot, especially with tanks, and it's very annoying. Being able to actively pick and choose who you group with is, as I said, a refreshing and welcome thing for me.

I've had nothing but a positive experience in all my of groups so far, people are friendly and talkative and this is on a PvP server. There's always the occassional silent group, but because everyone is on the same server and essentially chose to group with eachother then I feel the environment is completely different. Using a random tool that just bunches DPS A B C, Tank A and Heals A in a group together doesn't promote socialization, it just promotes people silently thinking to themselves,"ok we all Q'd for the same thing, we all wanted to be in a dungeon, we all know this in our minds so let's just get this over with so I can get my lewts and never see you guys again".

Soulwalker

Thanks for not apparently reading my post, where I was simply explaining my reasoning for asking to directly, not 'threatening' because I'm cognizant my 'threat' would carry no...well, thread. :P

I also stated this isn't a thread whose purpose is further debate--there are other threads for that. Go ahead if you want, though.

I don't understand your psychology though--anything that happens in a group can and will still happen regardless of how that group is formed; your 'camp', I think, assumes far too much about what each mechanism entails.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by NeverSleep View Post
    I'd like to know so I can stop playing and investing my fun time into Rift.
    That's not a threat to quit?

Soulwalker

I suppose I can break down the grammar of what constitutes a threatening set of words if you need me to?

There was no ultimatum, there was no 'Do this or...'

There was simply my stating that this is a deal-breaking game feature for me, by way of explaining why I think it important (me, personally) to receive a dev response on the subject.

I don't think you or Trion or anyone cares or would be persuaded by my quitting, therefore there is no 'threat', perceived or intended.

I simply want to know what the game's direction on this subject is so I can decide if it's a game I want to continue playing or not. That's a statement of reasoning, not a threat.

Soulwalker

Default I support

this would be nice to have.. so that i can search for this while i quest and do rifts, just makes it a little easier and less spam

if there is ever too much of a problem with a member, there should always be the kick option if absolutely needed and besides - that's why there is a level range on these

Soulwalker

An update!

Very relieved to share that I just received this tweet in response to this very question being tweeted to Scott Hartsman (he's often to be found in the wilds of Twitter responding to player feedback and questions):

"No secret there - We want to make getting groups together a lot better, absolutely."

Direct link to the tweet

Obviously there are no details here, but this is honestly all the response I was hoping for. I'm not asking for a xeroxed mechanism straight from WoW, just a way to let me play the game with people and enjoy challenging content without the gaming getting in the way of its own pleasure. However Trion makes that happen is fine with me.

Very happy to see Trion continuing their stellar record of being in active conversation with the playerbase. I know I'm not alone in appreciating it.

Regardless of what the mechanism turns out to be, something is indeed coming; it sounds like there might be some debate about such a thing, but Trion has seemingly decided, and I can't wait!

Ascendant

Scott definitely said a DF is coming, he said it awhile back in the dev roundtable at Gamer's Day. However it sounds like the debate within Trion is wether to make it cross server or not. I am vehemetly opposed to cross server dungeon finder. I am perfectly fine with a in server dungeon finder.

Soulwalker

To be honest, I believe the notions surrounding the 'problems' with cross-server mechanisms it be entirely illusory and way, way too overly worried over.

That said, whether constructed unnecessarily or otherwise, such notions have indeed been constructed and I'm nearly to the point of siding with server-only implementation if only so folks in the 'server-only' camp won't keep whining about it.

Soulwalker

Default you are all saying it so..

Dungeon finder tool is one thing, but Cross server will break the game in two weeks.

What people not understanding this needs to understand is that when people like me say this we don't mean that people wont log on, or the game wont work. But it will efficiently shut down the lines of communication between people on their server.

I tested most mmo's going back 8-9 years and i have 300days ingame on my most played character in Wow. Most of that time is before WOTLK and i never was in a guild after TBC raid content was over, i found it interesting to try the "casual" aspect of the game after being a "hardcore" player with a respected guild and whatnot.

What i found out is that the community is GONE, i mean really gone its not there anymore. The closest you get is that some people have a slight clue about what guild performs well in PVE etc, but nobody gets invited to guild groups lacking 1 person anymore, people dont even reply when you ask to join a group unless you meet the exact non personal requirements.

I don't have words for the destruction clicking ONE button to find a >CROSS REALM< group causes to a MMO community its like a Nuclear BOMB.

By Nuclear BOMB i mean, nobody knows whats gonna happen. Its gonna be real bad for sure, and everything said is speculation! but HISTORY is pretty much up in most peoples faces just across the block.

+ Reply to Thread