+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Tanking Iron Tombs?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker civilianbravery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default Tanking Iron Tombs?

    I was a level 18 Paladin trying to tank IT today. Immediately following the first pull the healer sends me a private message saying that 'tanks usually have 1k more health', before leaving the group. I don't have a lot of experience tanking in the past but I have been doing everything I know of to build a decent tank.
    So what I want to know is what kind of stats do you expect from a tank in IT and how do you get them?
    My health was 1500, is that too low?

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilianbravery View Post
    I was a level 18 Paladin trying to tank IT today. Immediately following the first pull the healer sends me a private message saying that 'tanks usually have 1k more health', before leaving the group. I don't have a lot of experience tanking in the past but I have been doing everything I know of to build a decent tank.
    So what I want to know is what kind of stats do you expect from a tank in IT and how do you get them?
    My health was 1500, is that too low?
    Little low but any half decent healer will gave no problem healing you through.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker Shipbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilianbravery View Post
    I was a level 18 Paladin trying to tank IT today. Immediately following the first pull the healer sends me a private message saying that 'tanks usually have 1k more health', before leaving the group. I don't have a lot of experience tanking in the past but I have been doing everything I know of to build a decent tank.
    So what I want to know is what kind of stats do you expect from a tank in IT and how do you get them?
    My health was 1500, is that too low?
    At 18 I wasnt too far ahead of you in the health. But I stacked a good bit of str too for the block. And as far as pally, what were the other two souls you have? I did a reaver, VK and pally build with alot of block and damage mitigation. And I did just fine at level 18 in IT

  4. #4
    Soulwalker civilianbravery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    My other two sould were Reaver and VK. I had been making by entire build based on tanking, with an emphasis on damage mitigation and threat generation. I honestly didn't think I was going to have a problem but my healer dropped immediately upon seeing my health and then the group disintegrated after that. So I don't know.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker Shipbane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilianbravery View Post
    My other two sould were Reaver and VK. I had been making by entire build based on tanking, with an emphasis on damage mitigation and threat generation. I honestly didn't think I was going to have a problem but my healer dropped immediately upon seeing my health and then the group disintegrated after that. So I don't know.
    Well with a chance of sounding like an ***. It sounds to me like you got ahold of a healer that is set in the WoW stage. Because I have yet to see a tank with 2500 hp in the 20's muck less pre 20. And if you find one, tell him to get some strength to help with his block so he isnt getting pounded all the time. I dont see where there was an issue with you or your stats to be quite honest. Just some dont understand that amount of damage mitigation that a tank can have in Rift just yet, and are just looking for hp hogs so they can /afk half the instance they think. So IMO its good the healer left, because he probally couldnt handle the healing of the instance anyway. So it saved you a big repair.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker civilianbravery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    thanks I was hoping this was the case. Because if not then I was really missing something.

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    The most funny part is this;
    They can barely heal 500+ health themselves at that level, and they expect u to run with 2-2.5k health? Whahah.

    I ran IT as a Rogue tank with about 1600 HP~ on level 18, and i had level 25~ guys in party.
    Yet, i was still able to hold agro, and barely take any damage with good "barrier" management.
    A Paladin has so many blockrate, that u barely take any damage as well.
    If i were you, i would put that healer on block and move on :-)

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Sounds like nothing to do with WoW (please just stop it already), you just got a lazy healer who probably had a higher level tank pull him through Iron Tomb previously. I don't think you can get even with the best possible gear, runes, etc., 2500hp at level 18. And the dungeon is for levels 17-20. I was running it with friends and guildies since 17, tank didn't have much more than 1500hp and we cleared fine no wipes.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Level 18 Rifstalker Tank (Rogue)

    2200 HP Buffed, using Runes, Bard + Ranger self buff, and Endurance Scroll + Weapon Rune from Pre-sale.

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by civilianbravery View Post
    I was a level 18 Paladin trying to tank IT today. Immediately following the first pull the healer sends me a private message saying that 'tanks usually have 1k more health', before leaving the group. I don't have a lot of experience tanking in the past but I have been doing everything I know of to build a decent tank.
    So what I want to know is what kind of stats do you expect from a tank in IT and how do you get them?
    My health was 1500, is that too low?
    That's about right for your level. Put that healer on ignore so you don't accidentally invite him again. I have 1K more health than you but I am 10 levels higher.

    EDIT: Also, IT is a lot more fun when you run it with a group your level. It is really boring once you are above 20. The first time I tanked it I think I was 16. It's not hard.
    Last edited by FalloutBoy; 03-03-2011 at 11:18 AM.

  11. #11
    Champion of Telara Alessar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    So with respect to tanking in IT, do you guys think a rogue Riftblade can do it? What happened is some pals and I stuck our nose in last night just to look around. There were only 4 of us, level 17. I brought my bard, another friend was on a cleric but his build is more offtank with a few spare heals than dedicated healer. We also had a riftblade and a marksman. We didn't have any problems getting to the first boss, but with 80% of his HP gone, he managed to overwhelm the tank. We tried a few more times and it was the same, we got him down 80% and then the tank went.

    My thought is the problem was more that we were shorthanded; with more damage we'd taken him down first, though it might have been a little touchy. What do you guys think? Do the later bosses hit a lot harder so we'd need greater spike healing or a tougher tank? Or did we just need a 5th?

  12. #12
    Soulwalker Scyberdruid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Your stats were fine. I tanked this at lvl 17 with 1581 HP buffed and everything was fine. Your healer was a pansy. My warden could keep you alive with his eyes closed.

  13. #13
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Healer did not know what he was talking about. I have met quite a few bad healers here on live. I was able to solo heal all of it at lvl 17 in beta (same for DSM at lvl 23) with no issue. I just think it is healers that just do not know their spec or how to heal.

    The stat difference between DPS and Tank gear at that level is almost nill.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander mattlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New jersey
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    So with respect to tanking in IT, do you guys think a rogue Riftblade can do it? What happened is some pals and I stuck our nose in last night just to look around. There were only 4 of us, level 17. I brought my bard, another friend was on a cleric but his build is more offtank with a few spare heals than dedicated healer. We also had a riftblade and a marksman. We didn't have any problems getting to the first boss, but with 80% of his HP gone, he managed to overwhelm the tank. We tried a few more times and it was the same, we got him down 80% and then the tank went.

    My thought is the problem was more that we were shorthanded; with more damage we'd taken him down first, though it might have been a little touchy. What do you guys think? Do the later bosses hit a lot harder so we'd need greater spike healing or a tougher tank? Or did we just need a 5th?
    A Riftstalker can tank it just fine. They are the best rogue class for tanking. Just tell the healer the first 15 seconds or so is the only time he really needs to watch your bar, after that its very easy to keep one up. The other souls not so much. If you want to tank as a rogue, go Riftstalker.

    And to the OP, your pally is fine.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker civilianbravery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Just wanted to say, I found another group. And you guys were right I had no problem tanking the instance with my stats. My lack of knowledge of certain dungeon mechanics near the end on the other hand, were problematic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts