+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help me become a better tank Warlord/Pally/VK

Shadowlander

Default Help me become a better tank Warlord/Pally/VK

So I tanked my first instance last night. It was different.

I've tanked on WoW for a long time, so this was a bit different and I have trouble maintaining threat.

Here's my current spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0cEhg.xV.E0Mhc

I don't really know what rotation I should use? I find that I have way too many buttons to use. My current spec give me like 6-8 options to gain points. Before using Rightous Blow. Obviously use sweeping strikes on CD and Retaliation when procs.

AOE threat just isnt there. Sweeping strikes and Judgement on CD but the CD's are too long. What else can I use?

Also what buffs/Aspects should I use?
    - Tottenham, Guardian Warrior of Gnarlwood
    - Wolverhampton, Guardian Rogue of Gnarlwood
    - Blackpool, Guardian Mage of Gnarlwood

Rift Disciple

I made it to 25 in beta and loved Pally tanking.
    I am currently using this build
    Lights Hammer is threat generating and great for getting to casters.
    Shield of the Hero is one point and nets you 5% block (plus hit) whereas you have to spend 5 points in Stalwart Shield to get 10% block.
    I think your build is too much mitigation and not enough threat generation.
    i like using Reaver as the second soul to Paladin for the AoE effects which also increase threat generation as you climb the tree, and at 10 points you get Grim Lure in the root which is a nice taunt.

When pulling a pack of mobs in a dungeon I start off with Judgement, and then Sweeping Strike when they come in.

That grabs your initial agro.

After that if there is no CC in the party I will swap between mobs to maintain agro while the party assists the "main assist" which should be a melee DPS.

I would suggest macroing (main menu -> Macros) your reactives to your main attack as well. For instance:

Code:
    cast Retaliation
    cast Face Slam
    cast Empowering Strike
    That macro will attempt to cast your reactive Retaliation first (if its up) and then try to cast Face Slam (if not on CD) and finally will cast your Empowering Strike if the others aren't available. Will also help clear your hotbar of all those extra powers.

I would also macro your taunt and debuff:

Code:
    cast Battlefield Distraction
    cast Sergeant's order
    Finally I would take two points out of Hardened Will (Pally tree) and put one each into Shield of the Hero (+5% Block and To Hit buff) and Martial Shield (25% to gain an attack point when blocking) which are both in the Pally tree as well.

Happy tanking!

Plane Touched SoulreaverTulshar's Avatar

your headed in the right direction pally for the most part. but its a lil slow on threat generation at low levels to help with that you need to get gear to help it. Or simply wait it out the higher levels you get the much better it is. i have very close to the same build. and only when a rouge goes full dps do i have problems with mobs moving off me. or a rouge, rouge that wants to think they can tank every thing and decides to pull agro from other mobs when the main team is fighting others.

as a suggestion a upgraded sorce core with dmg procs and other consumables also help keep insta dmg up and also causes the mobs to stay on you.
    He glided through the noonday sunshine's oppressive heat, moving as if always cloaked in shadows, though the
    place had few, and as if even the ever-present dust could not touch him.
    Soulreaver Tulshar"d"Oloth
    deth ulu jal lu'thalra Haruk http://Doom-clan.guildlaunch.com/
    http://launchpad.guildlaunch.com/rec...g/gl/index.php
    http://www.guildlaunch.com

Shadowlander

Thanks for all of the ideas. I'll put them to work tonight after work and go from there.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Iamshatner View Post
    you climb the tree, and at 10 points you get Grim Lure in the root which is a nice taunt.
    I agree with the reaver portion.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...u00Vc0M.xE00ob

Is my general plan for 50, a few small tweaks most likely but it's the general guide line I'm following.

right now (at 31) my pull rotation is as follows:
    1. Shield throw
    2. Plague bringer
    3. Infested Wounds (once mobs bunch up a bit)
    4. Soul Sickness
    5. Scales of Justice (you'll have 3 attack points before mobs get to you)
    6. Spam Blood fever + reactive abilities
    7. Refresh Plague Bringer (12 sec duration 10 sec CD)
    8. Use attack points (your choice here, if there's still more than 2 mobs up at this point can re scale of justice, or single target finisher or spotter's order)
    9. Go back to step 6.

Been rolling through instances without any form of CC and the only time I seem to lose threat is from the occasional Boar that charges into the mobs before they get back to me.
    Last edited by Soyhay; 03-01-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Soulwalker

Default my 2 cents

I've been tanking as a paladin/paragon but really its all the paladins skills. You just gotta remember not to use the aoe taunt unless there's like 4 or more targets. The cooldown is just too long (its like 1m right). Def not something you could use twice in a normal pull.

Also the shield throw is your best friend. Sometimes I'll just tab around my targets to see if anyone other than myself are being targeted, shield throw them if they are and go back to the main creep. That and the hammer i usually use for those guys your trying to tank but they wont come close.

btw my pally is built almost straight mitigation, just make sure you got the extra threat move

Shadowlander

Infested wounds?

Where's that? Is that infestation?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by INDEMNITY View Post
    Infested wounds?

Where's that? Is that infestation?

Meant necrotic wounds, my mistake.

+ Reply to Thread