+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Midsummers Medieval Madness - Summer Dimension Contest 2020

Default Midsummers Medieval Madness - Summer Dimension Contest 2020

Midsummers Medieval Madness - Summer Dimension Contest 2020-medieval-01.jpg

Midsummers Medieval Madness!
    April 15th – July 31st

Greetings and Salutations to everyone! (Meows to those who know me.)
    I am Cattrianna Shadowcat of Faeblight. I’ve been known to dabble a bit with dimensions over the years since they first launched in 2012. After 9 years of Rift itself, I would like to help give something back in the form of a new dimension contest, Midsummers Medieval Madness! I wanted to have a balanced open theme but maybe help guide people to be inspired for new builds that we haven’t seen much of in awhile or frequently. I’m sure you want to know some of the details so here goes:

Where are the dimension entries for the contest?

List of current Entries

What do you mean medieval? Do I have to build a castle?

Simple answer: Not necessarily OR maybe yes!
    1) It’s a medieval theme. That can come in many forms whether that dark brooding castle overlooking a village of hard working folk or maybe that stereotypical deep stone dungeon dwelve. How about that festive market place in the homey medieval village celebrating their summer solstice? Possibly a simple farm and stables that harkens back to a time in our distant past? A jousting tourney you say? Maybe even an archeological dig that has unearthed the ruins of an old church? This is not necessarily a era specific theme but more of a guideline to help focus ideas for scenes in or close to that time. I’m not a historian so please remember that.

2) While it is a loose theme, please try to create part of the scene where it at least appears to land in the same basic era. While a fully interactive concept would be enjoyable, it doesn’t necessarily have to be built to be fully accessible, i.e. an archaeologist dig site, a tower or castle ruins façade may be the focal point.

3) Maybe use a dimension key that has pre existing medival style feature. i.e. Caer Khollum (Yes a guild dimension), Icewatch, Three Springs, Harrow Crypt etc. but make sure to spruce it up and morph it well enough to compete with other entries that might embrace a more fully man-made concept.

4) Your creations don’t have to be absolutely perfect with bleeding edge alignment, but technique and neatness will be a fractional part of the judging in case of close ties or a final judgement needed. We will have to see the theme though, so in some cases a good concept with more freestyle construction may over shadow a piece perfect rendition that doesn’t quite fit the theme. (i.e. I’m sure there were other planets with civilization during medieval times but I’m fairly certain that alien bases on the moon, mars or other celestial bodies are more sci fi than medieval.)

5) Basically, just WOW us (no not that WoW). Castles, Mage Towers, Villages, etc usually aren’t simple stone worked structures with a single window and a flower pot on the steps. Get creative. Use detailing. Show us something new we haven’t seen before. You don’t have to be the next Top Dimension Model but give us the good stuff. I think you get the idea.

They sometime say that size matters…

It truly is more important in how you use it. Large builds. Small builds. Something in between. All are welcome. Everyone has their own style and type of building that plays to their strengths. I’m not asking anyone to build outside their comfy spot just simply to create something new and exciting within the theme of the contest. For some, tiny is better. Other might not feel the same. Their idea is big or go home. Whatever works best for you. Size is not a factor. Your concept is what matters. This is meant to be fun and enjoyable and give us new wonderful dimensions to explore.
    All dim keys are open, whether personal keys or guild so go with what is best for you.

What about the judging?

Basically YOU the dimension builders will be responsible for the judging of the entries. Whether an avid builder or simply a dimension groupie who loves touring, the main overall first (and possibly final) round of voting will be a large public votes. In order to ensure as fair and unsullied votes (i.e. duplicate alt voting or multiple chat names) all public voting will be via PMs through your RIFT FORUM ACCOUNTS. All PMs will be sent directly to me during the duration of the voting period. Votes will be entered with a possibility of 30 total points per dim. (See criteria below)
    My only judging involvement will be in case of a tie for any dimensions that end with equal votes in the top 3 dimensions.

There will be live streaming of all qualified entries after contest end, probably on August 1st (time to be determined). Subject to the number of entries, the streaming may run in daily segments of less than 2 hours daily until all valid entries are toured. I won’t say we will absolutely restrict tour time to less than 5 mins per dimension, since varying sized dims will tend to override that timer, but I will keep it as evenly timed as possible. Further specific details that may arise regarding voting and streaming are still subject to minor changes or clarification of those details at a later date. l will update this post accordingly.
    Due to my apparent ineptitude in managing to produce a live stream for the dimension contest, I have decided to cancel that portion of the ending process for the contest. Voting by YOU, the individual builders and admirers, is still going to be opened up with PMs sent directly to me via your Rift Forum accounts. I will to the best of my ability prevent duplicate or alt account voting and provide as fair and equal consideration for ALL entries. All final votes will be posted after the judging and voting process is complete. The reason for this particular voting system is simple: it provides results for everyone including those who prefer a 100% transparent and public vote as well as those who prefer more silent voting. (Yes you are placing your trust in myself to perform the voting count completely fair and without bias. I would like to think that the number of entries tend to support that trust.) While dimensions are allowed to be open for touring starting on July 28th, the starting date for sending in your votes based on the criteria below will commence on August 1st at 12:01 AM EST. The voting period will last until August 7th at 11:59 PM EST.

In the possibility of ties in the top 3, once publicly voted upon, my only judgement duty will be to make a final call in order to break those ties if necessary following the same criteria below.

Judging Criteria:

Technical (Out of 10) – Did you clean things up? Are there floaters? Missed tribal tables in strange places? Walls and floors REALLY not lining up well? Poltergeist flickers? Some morph clashing with the scene and causing rifts in the suspension of belief? Did you go all out and made some really awesome technical morphs in the build?
    Creativity (Out of 10) - Originality, jaw unhinged, drool inducing, does it make me breathless?
    Aesthetic (Out of 10) – Did your concept come across clearly to your visitors? Did we lose ourselves in immersion? Did you hit the theme? Too chaotic or too cluttered? Am I gonna resist beating my head into my keyboard?

You get the idea and yes these criteria should be fairly familiar. We’ve all seen them before.

Voting submission format

Name of dimension: ________________ (New? Old?)
    Technical: ______ (1-10) (1 - OMG! I'm blind from the flickers?!? / 10 - This is the most precise and perfectly aligned dimension ive ever seen!!!)
    Creativity: ______ (1-10) (1 - Uhm, where have i seen this one before? / 10 - WOW! I've never seen anything like this!!)
    Aesthetic: ______ (1-10) (1 - OK? So? This is supposed to be what? / 10 - Oh yeah! This is definitely a slice of medieval right here and its so livable and comfortable. It takes me away from reality back in time!)

One set of votes for each dimension entered please. Please wait until you have compiled a list of all your votes for all of the dimensions before submitting. Voting for your own dimension submissions is in poor taste and discouraged. Any personal votes for your own dimensions will not be tabulated.
    Send a complete list of ALL your voting scores for each dimension by Private Message to myself here on the forums. VOTE HERE

Also please note that even if you don't already have touring alts on every server both NA and EU, for this contest, you only need a level 1 alt on any server in order to tour. The level 10 requirement for in game voting does not apply to this contest. The +1 like voting system in game is not a part of this particular contest. All dimensions entered should be considered on their own merits, not previous likes in game.

The REAL reason why we are here: The Rewards

Yes we like to say we are simply doing all of this for artistic reasons but let’s be honest. Everyone like’s shiny rewards for a job well done. Gamigo tends to not want to muddy the waters of responsibility and creating illusions of bias, so all Rewards have been funded by myself and willing volunteers.

I can’t draw worth a damn (that’s why I build dimensions) so no comics this time. Sorry. However I can definitely do my best to make this all worthwhile for everyone. One facet of the previous contest that proved to be enjoyable for everyone was the category of older dimensions that fit the current contest theme. I will be including that as well and prizes below to reflect that:

NEW Dimension Entries:

1st Prize
    6 REX
    +TWO choice of the following:
    A) 30 Day Patron Pass
    B) One CURRENT Power Pack of your choice.
    C) Ten CURRENT dimension boxes of your choice (i.e. Landquarium, Alittu’s, Sunken Wonders, etc)

2nd Prize
    4 REX
    +ONE choice of the following:
    A) 15 Day Patron Pass
    B) Five CURRENT dimension boxes of your choice.

3rd Prize
    3 REX
    + Three CURRENT dimension boxes of your choice.

OLD Dimension Theme Based Entries:

1st Prize
    3 REX
    + Five CURRENT dimension boxes of your choice.

2nd Prize
    2 Rex
    + Two CURRENT dimension box of your choice.

Those silly points they don’t like you to be able to read (Conditions and Details):

- New builds only (built after contest start ) in the new entries category
    - Previous dim keys are accepted, as long as it’s scrapped, stripped and built anew AFTER the contest start otherwise they fall into the older build category (i.e. you have been building on it from March 31st and before and various people are well aware of that, including myself)
    - Open to all servers from EU and NA
    - One entry per person per category (i.e. 1 new and 1 old are allowed as long as they follow the contest guidelines)
    - Collaborations are permissible, however the prizes will be awarded to the player (or their alt) who submitted and own the dimension
    - Builders are welcome to invite people (Except Cattrianna and her many Kittens) to visit and give tips, but additional +1 voting via the Rift dimension like system prior to contest end is discouraged even if the Rift +1 voting system will have NO bearing on the voting in this contest. (Mistakes do happen though)
    - Guild dimensions allowed but valued and judged the same as personal dimensions
    - Please keep your build closed until contest viewings commence (allowed to open from July 28th onwards)
    - Builds will be disqualified if not open by July 31st 11:59pm PST.
    - Judging to take place on August 1st – August 7th. All votes for all the entries must be submitted by 11:59pm on the 7th EST.
    - At current time, the live stream that was planned has been canceled due to technical incompetance.
    - Due to said cancelation as well as issues stemming from procurement of some of the aforementioned prizes, the prize list has been adjusted accordingly to compensate. Sorry for the possible disappointment or inconvenience.

Entries Format: (Reply to this post)

Please enter your submissions using the following template:

In game name: ____________
    Contest Dimension name: ______________
    Server: _____________
    Entry Category (Old/New): _____________
    Favorite LEGO brick: (it really has absolutely no bearing on the contest but its fun)

The post above is subject to change dependent on changing timelines between now and end of contest. Reward Prizes are as is and will not be changed unless agreed upon rewards given to valid recipients as to more appropriate reward given to that individual because of pre existing ownership of said reward.

As always this is about having fun as a dimension community and keeping our corner of Rift strong. Any questions about the contest or your dims qualifying, please send me a PM or whisper in game. Also, please be kind, this is my first time at this.

-Cattrianna@Faeblight
    Last edited by Catriana; 08-03-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Final changes to judging system and various details

Dimensions by CATT - FB: "Underdwell of Val Argonax" by Cattrianna, "Elemental Wanderings" by Cattrianna, "The Crucible Pt1: Exodus" by One Cat Short of Crazy, "Three Sisters Water Temple" by Fancyfeast / GB: "Inferno's Respite" by Catastrophie / DW: "Crucible Pt2: Odyssey" by Cattails

Can not wait to get started very exciting

Thumbs up

This is cool, though I'll never share my dimensions with anyone.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Catriana View Post
    Attachment 34418
    We will have to see the theme though, so in some cases a good concept with more freestyle construction may over shadow a piece perfect rendition that doesn’t quite fit the theme. i.e. I’m sure there were other planets with civilization during medieval times but I’m pretty sure alien bases hidden inside the local blacksmith’s place were not a thing at the time.
    That's a shame because that was something I would have liked to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriana View Post
    Attachment 34418
    Get creative. Use detailing. Show us something new we haven’t seen before.
    Medieval meets the Future would have been something new.

Have fun all, and I can already predict the winners.
    Veylin@Laethys <Nefarious>
    Veylin@Vigil <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

Rift Disciple

Thank you for making this contest

Looking forward to start building.
    One question tho - is this medieval as it would be in our world or as it could be in gameworld ?
    In other words - can boglings be part of this? Wouldnt mind some help in the castle

/Dove
    ®Mine

Default Clarifications....

That's a shame because that was something I would have liked to do.

Sorry for any confusion. Go ahead and create a scifi scene MIXED with a medieval theme. My point was simply that there be clear medieval elements to your dimension so it would correspond with the contest theme. Sorry. I guess that was a bad example. :P

One question tho - is this medieval as it would be in our world or as it could be in game world? In other words - can boglings be part of this? Wouldnt mind some help in the castle

Yes to both. your interpretation of medieval isn't restricted to Rift's examples of varying eras. Feel free to interpret or recreate something from Earth's history or make something that blends in perfectly with Rift's "medieval" styles of dimensions.

The idea is not a strict and narrow set of guidelines, simply a suggestion and broad theme to help inspire.

I have had a concern or two mentioned about the voting system being used. The reason that the OP was worded the way it was is that I am still working out the exact voting methods that will be used to ensure as fair and unabused a voting system as possible. Details are still being worked out but will be released in the near future.
    Last edited by Catriana; 04-13-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Dimensions by CATT - FB: "Underdwell of Val Argonax" by Cattrianna, "Elemental Wanderings" by Cattrianna, "The Crucible Pt1: Exodus" by One Cat Short of Crazy, "Three Sisters Water Temple" by Fancyfeast / GB: "Inferno's Respite" by Catastrophie / DW: "Crucible Pt2: Odyssey" by Cattails

Soulwalker

Default entry

In game name: ___Fawnella/ Fayella_________
    Dimension name: _____Tulan_________
    Server: ____Hailol_________
    New build
    Favorite LEGO brick: whats a lego?
    Last edited by Fawnella; 04-13-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Rift Disciple

Boglings to the rescue !

In game name: Dove
    Dimension name: ......castle....? Name not decided yet
    Server: Typhiria
    Entry Category (Old/New): New
    Favorite LEGO brick: the green pine-tree..the old version that looks nothing like a tree....!
    Last edited by Nirrana; 04-13-2020 at 11:54 PM.

Ah the LEGO classics! *Sighs remembered all the days and weeks building her first castles with LEGOS*

Fawnella? LEGO are what Minecraft wants to be as far as building things.

On another note, i tweaked (edit) a couple of things in the original post regarding possible types of builds. As far as questions about voting, i am still working out the exact final details before i post anything and then cause confusion later if have to change.
    Last edited by Catriana; 04-14-2020 at 05:14 AM.

Default List of Entries

List of Entries

The following are the current entries in the Midsummers Medieval Madness Summer Contest:

EU: New Entries

Typhiria

In game name: Dove (Nirrana)
    Contest Dimension name: Fleeing the fortress
    Server: Typhiria
    Favorite LEGO brick: the green pine-tree. the old version that looks nothing like a tree....! (Catt - Wait! You want trees? These are LEGO!)

In game name: Thezene
    Contest Dimension name: The Ashburn Tower
    Server: Typhiria EU
    Favorite LEGO brick: Definitely one that I don't step on ;p but also: the small, pixel like transparent and colourful ones. Any transparent ones are just so cool! (LEGO steppage is never fun, but then how else are you going to find that particular one you have been hunting hours for?)

Brisesol

In game name : Alisequatre
    Contest Dimension name: The Oasis Médiéval ( Nulle part )
    Server: Brisesol
    Favorite LEGO brick: Arc Brick (Catt - Arches an intriguing eyebrow at that one.)

In game name: Laèrise
    Contest Dimension name: Retraite by Shaarlys
    Favorite LEGO brick: euh no lego no no !!! "run " it hurts too much when you step on it! (Catt - Welcome to parenthood)

In name game : Chaosia (Arwhen)
    Contest Dimension name: Queribus Castle by Arwhen
    Server : Brisesol
    Favorite LEGO brick : I never had LEGO bricks, Bouhouuuuhouuu! that I am unhappy!!! (That's just a travesty!)

In game name: Eilara
    Contest Dimension name: Chateau de Mélusine
    Favorite LEGO brick: (it really has absolutely no bearing on the contest but its fun) hum harry potter patronus ! (I Hope Hermione isnt jealous)

in game name: Epidouce
    Contest Dimension name: Bastide

NA: New Entries

Faeblight

In game name: Morrganna
    Contest Dimension name: Morrganna's Family Estate
    Server: Faeblight
    Favorite LEGO brick: original blocks (Catt - Aawwww! Classic nostalgia!)

In game name: Arcius (Halius)
    Contest Dimension name: Sanctuary
    Favorite LEGO brick: Rectangles. Rectangles as far as the eye can see. (I foresee server overloads)

Hailol

In game name: Fawnella/ Fayella
    Contest Dimension name: Castle Rift
    Server: Hailol
    Favorite LEGO brick: What are LEGOs? (Catt - Heathen!)

In game name : Ethereall / Ooma
    Contest Dimension name: The Tourney
    Favorite LEGO brick: (Catt - Aawww! No fair not having a favorite LEGO!)

In game name: Neve
    Contest Dimension name: Mystoragian Keep
    Favorite LEGO brick: The windows! (I've found that LEGO houses and stones applies the same as glass houses..)

Deepwood

In game name: Slaias
    Contest Dimension name: Ó Brólaigh Clan 12th Century Keep
    Server: Deepwood
    Favorite LEGO brick: Red (Catt - There are many Red LEGO. Just saying.)

In game name : Mornja
    Contest Dimension name: Girona
    Favorite LEGO brick: The ones that look like red lights and the yellow doors of my brothers space lego station set that I stole when I was 4. (I put them in my police station lego set on the heads of my troopers. I am strange) {Catt - Brother's Psychiatrist: "So how do you feel about the childhood theft of your Lego?"}

In game name: Beurre
    Contest Dimension name: The Burgue
    Favorite LEGO brick: ???? (Catt - Sadly we may never know....)

Greybriar
    In game name: Rhyelah (Naerhya)
    Contest Dimension name: Briarstone Castle(Nae)
    Server: Greybriar
    Favorite LEGO brick: lego hands (Catt - Is that anything like Jazz Hands?)

In game name: Xaii@Greybriar
    Contest Dimension name: Chateau de Bonne Chance (Catt - Heavy graphics rendering)
    Favorite LEGO brick: the one my bf stepped on the other night mwahahaha! (Serves him right?)

Wolfsbane

In game name: Nyxium (Like first time ever new!)
    Contest Dimension name: Ground Clutter to Zero (sigh, directional instead of fun..lol)
    Server: Wolfsbane
    Favorite LEGO brick: Hmm, my least favorite is any type of building block. Floors are hard..(I fear for your future head slams into the floor.)

EU: Older Build Entries

Brisesol

In game name : Kisiline (Arwhen)
    Contest dimension name : Le Château by Arwhen
    Server : Brisesol
    Favorite Lego brick : All the bricks I never got (I smell a lottery winner)

NA: Older Build Entries

Hailol

Name : Fawnella
    Contest dim name: Halls of Altheas castle
    Server Hailol
    Favorite lego … little people ones (Catt - The children are our future....)

Deepwood

In game name: Bisou
    Contest Dimension name: Raven in the Foregate
    Favorite Lego: BRICK WITH BOW 1X3X2 (Catt - She took an arrow to the knee)

In game name: Kozzzmo
    Contest Dimension name: Ravencliff-Defiant metropolis
    Favorite LEGO brick: White flat panel - old style (Catt - Wipes a tear at the nostalgia)

In game name: Amielle (Not to be confused with Sicorex's dim of the same name)
    Contest Dimension name: Diagon Alley
    Favorite LEGO brick: Anything black (So LEGO Goth?)

In game name: Pinktuna
    Contest Dimension name: City of Fortune
    Favorite LEGO brick: wild west wood wall block (Where's Will Smith when you need him?)

Greybriar

In game name: Jaedor
    Contest Dimension name: Avalon
    Favorite LEGO brick: The one I *didn't* step on (Catt - Your feet thank you for that)

In game name: Xaii@Greybriar
    Contest Dimension name: Sky Haven (Catt - Heavy graphics rendering)
    Favorite LEGO brick: The one that made my bf swear and trip into the wall (same one as above lol!)(Catt - See above)

Faeblight

In game name: Kyela
    Dimension name: Castley Elite (Kyela's Guild dim under guild name "Casually Elite")
    Favorite LEGO brick: Transparent bricks and slopes I used to make spaceships with as a kid (Beam me up LEGO Scotty!)
    Last edited by Catriana; 07-31-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Last minute entries added

Soulwalker

Default Midieval Contest

In game name: Slaias
    Contest Dimension name: Ó Brólaigh Clan 12th Century Keep
    Entry Category (Old/New): New
    Favorite LEGO brick: Red
    Last edited by Slaias; 04-24-2020 at 11:11 PM.

Soulwalker

Default Medieval Madness!!

Wow!!

Cattrianna thank you!

I am positively BOUNCING excited to enter this one!!

In game name: Bisou
    Dimension name: Raven in the Foregate
    Entry category: New
    Favorite Lego: BRICK WITH BOW 1X3X2 (Particularly with this build)

Thanks Catt for this. Now I have something big to look forward to in July!
    Fwob - Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Thanks Catt for this. Now I have something big to look forward to in July!
    Look forward to seeing you there!

Soulwalker

Default Midsummers Medieval madness

In game name : Alisequatre
    Contest Dimension name: the oasis médiéval ( Nulle part )
    Favorite LEGO brick: Arc Brick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast