+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Tarindil
  • 1 Post By Tarindil
  • 1 Post By Tarindil
  • 1 Post By Quna

Thread: Where to go?

Default Where to go?

For a while now, I have been in my own little world with a family member sick, then passing. It was quite a shock to me today to find out Trion was sold.

For years now, dimensions have for me been a place to relieve stress. A place to think, a place to unwind. If I had to venture out to make money for more items, so be it, but dimensions themselves were my haven. There is no other game that allows the amount of freedom we have in building in game. Whether it be the building itself, square by square, the furniture, the lighting, the tree's, plants, rocks, water....incredible freedom.

I sit here stunned that in time we may lose this. If the worst comes about, what choice's are out there now or will be in the future? EQ is a no for me, too restrictive, most other games you have housing with slots or a few items can be placed. Is there anything out now or in planning stages that displaced dimensioner's can go to? I am not really into pvp, fighting is ok if I have to, but really just building was glorious while it has lasted.

I am posting this in the dimension community in hopes there will be examples of other games.

I am also posting this in hopes that the developers we lost, will by chance see this post and maybe group together and work on a stand alone game for people who love dimensions. I would pay...and gladly.

To everyone else a big thank you. I have so enjoyed seeing your dimensions over the years. Thank you for the smiles they gave me, sometimes the chuckles...but always they gave me a warm place in my heart for such an artistic and lovely community.

I wish everyone the best,
    Tar

This may not be precisely what you're looking for, but I've recently started learning Blender, and have found it to be a very satisfying creative outlet.

It's not a game, but rather a free 3D modeling software – essentially a tool that an artist can use to create… well, whatever they want. In Rift, we are limited to a finite set of pre-made dimension items, placed into a finite set of dimensions. In Blender, you’ll be making the actual items yourself, as well as the settings that you'll place them into. There are no limits on ‘item count' or object scale (as long as your computer can handle it), and the control you have over detail, lighting and texture means that even a relative novice can create something that looks photorealistic.

The learning curve is quite steep (I hope you’re good at remembering hotkeys!), but there are a few things that will be immediately familiar to any dimension builder, and if you can figure out Tinker Tools, you should be able to get a feel for Blender as well. There are also TONS of resources and tutorials out there, and a huge community of hobbyist and professional users alike who are happy to share their knowledge with newcomers.

To be perfectly clear: If you're just looking for a “drag and drop” system like Rift dimensions, this is not it, but for any dim builders willing to step outside of their comfort zone (while also escaping the limitations of the dimension system), I think they'll find a very empowering tool in Blender!
    Last edited by Jamesen; 10-24-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    Faeblight dimensioneer!
    Jamesen Vhaun Reynor Prescott

Hmmm can't submit reply I typed out.... I do use Blender along with some game engines. I had a long message in response that it will not let me reply with. I also use Game Guru, UA4, Medieval Engineers & Rising World. Game Guru is as close to Rift as I can come atm.
    Last edited by Tarindil; 10-24-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Oh, right on! I didn't realize you were already doing 3D modeling work.

In that case, I don't really have any advice beyond what I've already given. Everquest Next sounded like a dim builder's dream when it was first announced, but it was cancelled more than a year ago and I haven't heard of anything similar since then. The only other thing that comes to mind is Wildstar (which supposedly has a great player housing system), but that game is shutting down at the end of next month.

For the time being, it seems like Rift really is the only game in town.
    Last edited by Jamesen; 10-24-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    Faeblight dimensioneer!
    Jamesen Vhaun Reynor Prescott

I am more into texture work than modeling, but I have great modeling friends who make models for me I did buy Landmark but never could get into it like my friends, then it was canceled.

Rift for me was perfect. I could get my building fix so to speak. I keep hoping some developer will see the community's that love building & make a 3d building game. Like a 3d Sims you could walk around in like Rift. Marry the two basically, sell expansions of models packs.

Shadowlander

If you have a VR headset, you might like Sansar by Linden Labs, makers of Second Life. The environments are insular, so you don't have to worry about giant dildos in the neighbors' yards.

https://www.sansar.com/

Thank you Marson, I don't have one, but now will look into buying one. Sansar is looking intriguing.

I've personally never played it but some people said that housing in Star Wars: Galaxies is comparable or even better than Rift's.
    Original SWG have been discontinued but there seem to be several pServers so I'd look into it.
    Dimensions on NA: Shoreward spa @ Faeblight

Dimensions on EU: ENIGMA - the Spa @ Zaviel
    Marcienn's Magic Mansion @ Zaviel

for me it was always EQ2 with good housing. You can make/buy floors for example and build whatever you want out of them. The detail is good too. Not as good as Rift but still pretty cool. I am with ya though, my passion in Rift is for sure Dims so finding another way to create like this is going to be tough, but maybe we won't have to worry about that.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Well.

Having come from WoW and then LotRO (which went down the tubes and AFAIK is also in maintenance mode), my gaming partner and I decided to keep Rift at more arm's length so we wouldn't be as attached and thus crushed when the inevitable happens. I'm still sad that this has happened, especially for the Trion employees let go right as the holiday season starts (layoffs this time of year is absolutely BRUTAL), but I'm more prepared to say goodbye than my previous MMO experiences.

That said, while I've lost all steam to grind anything, I hope Rift will still stick around relatively bug-free--especially dimensions--for a year-ish maybe so I can finish building what I started and take nice screenshots and video for posterity. That's all I ask. (Or at least warn us when the plug will be pulled!)

Best of luck to the Trion employees let go in all this, and to my fellow players who enjoyed some of the unique features Rift offered.
    Faeblight dimensions: Dragontail Pond, Pirlfealle Tower (temporarily offline for renovation)

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    Well.

Having come from WoW and then LotRO (which went down the tubes and AFAIK is also in maintenance mode), my gaming partner and I decided to keep Rift at more arm's length so we wouldn't be as attached and thus crushed when the inevitable happens. I'm still sad that this has happened, especially for the Trion employees let go right as the holiday season starts (layoffs this time of year is absolutely BRUTAL), but I'm more prepared to say goodbye than my previous MMO experiences.

That said, while I've lost all steam to grind anything, I hope Rift will still stick around relatively bug-free--especially dimensions--for a year-ish maybe so I can finish building what I started and take nice screenshots and video for posterity. That's all I ask. (Or at least warn us when the plug will be pulled!)

Best of luck to the Trion employees let go in all this, and to my fellow players who enjoyed some of the unique features Rift offered.
    it could be a new beganing I dont see this game dying anytime soon.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

+ Reply to Thread