+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaynda

Thread: As we have dimension horses, can we please have trees for their meadows, too?

Telaran

Default As we have dimension horses, can we please have trees for their meadows, too?

Today I've started to build a meadow with dimension horses. Now everyone knows that they need some trees on it that give shadows so horses don't have to stand in the sun all the time.

Now I've several trees in question....

- Cherry: possible, but unadvisable. Their stone contain hydrocyanic acid which is poisionous (my choice though due to lack of alternatives)
    - hawthorn: not poisonous, but don't make too much shadow, too small
    - Apple, pear etc: not in the game
    - maple: great for huge amounts of shadow (plus I really like them!) - unfortunately poisonous
    - Oak: poisonuos, even when you can lay your hands on dimension oaks

Even the ivy-covered fences..... ivy is poisonous. Ok, we have non-poisonous fences, so I'm fine with that.

I know I could make with something like trees that don't exist in reallife, say, amber isle trees, but I'd love some more variety, plus most trees aren't what I imagine... like with a round head or can be scaled to larger size (to make good shadow) wtithout looking odd and unproportioned.

Can anyone recommend me trees I've overlooked? Or would Trion be as kind as to implement some trees that make good shadow, aren't broad-rooted (hate them), and would be unpoisonous?

Thanks in advance,

Kaynda
    Some have a lifetime, and some just a day. Love is a thing you can't measure that way.

This post made my day!
    Fwob - Zaviel

Telaran

Hum.

Is the wish to make credible dimensions so alienating?
    Some have a lifetime, and some just a day. Love is a thing you can't measure that way.

I wish I could help, but I really don't have background knowledge on which trees are safe for horses. There were a ton of trees in the landquarium box. Although the box has been removed from the store, there are a number of people with trees who would be happy to trade. Which shard are you on Kyanda? If you are on NA, feel free to psst one of my toons as shown in my signature, all @wolfsbane.

Another option that might be nice, which are available through stan's fishing lure is the set of canopy trees like.... http://riftdimensionaddicts.com/node/3048 (again not sure if horse friendly)
    Last edited by Sparklynn; 10-16-2018 at 07:56 AM.

Are you looking to have your horses constantly out in pasture or are you just putting them out for turnout time? I would say if they are going to be out in pasture in all weather, you are better off building a run-in shed, as it will provide more protection from the wind and rain than a tree will. However, if the horses are going to just be let out for a couple hours every day, they should be ok in the sun until you find some trees that work . After all, if you look at the elite boarding facilities in Kentucky, such as Lane's End, you'll see that the majority of the paddocks don't have any tree cover at all. The horse there do just fine.

I would be much more concerned about using the correct type of grass. I don't usually have "ground cover" enabled when I play (potato laptop), but if you turn that option on, you can see all sorts of grasses and weeds growing. The last thing you need is to accidentally use a grass cover that has ragwort, hemlock, clover, nightshade, fescue or other equally toxic plants growing in your pasture. You might have to thoroughly look through each grass type or go for the safe option of a dirt paddock/turnout.

If you do end up going for the tree option and are on NA server, many of us have plant and tree storage dimensions that we can invite you to to have a look over the trees available (EU people most likely will have this too, but I don't want to make assumptions ).

Telaran

Thanks for your opinions and the offers, unfortunately I'm on Europe.

I've found willow to be ok, only the only willow that I like the looks of is moonshadow willow and they are pretty rare.

However, I'll look into that Kentucky thing and some kind of shed is a very good idea, too. Only I have my fence closed (of course), and I needed a tree to cover the post of the open fencedoor. (I've turned it so it looks closed, and I've added an extra post to make it look like it's closed).

I've never seen any meadow without clover though. Need to look further into that.

Thanks for your posts!

Thankfully its only a couple types of clover that are toxic, the rest are perfectly fine!

I did think of a couple trees that might be ok, but you would probably have to zoom in on the leaf shape to figure out what type they are. The ones I'm thinking of are the largecrown trees, the medium/large canopy trees (planetouched wilds ones), glowleaf trees (look a bit unnatural), bloodpetal tree (if the red leaves don't have arsenic), ponderous gloamwood, scotspine tree (kinda small), elms (can't find anything that says they are toxic, so they may work), spring/summer life tree, thaeleaf tree, wind whipped pine, warden tree, and windswept tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaynda View Post
    Thanks for your opinions and the offers, unfortunately I'm on Europe.

I've found willow to be ok, only the only willow that I like the looks of is moonshadow willow and they are pretty rare.
    Let me know your in-game name and shard, and I will fix you up with some moonshade willow trees.
    If you have found something else that you need give me a shout and I will see if I have it.

+ Reply to Thread