+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Use with several building blocks that take terrain paint?

Telaran

Default Use with several building blocks that take terrain paint?

Hi fellow dimensioners, hi Trion (-;

what precisely is the use of having several blocks that take terrain paint anyway? Wouldn't one suffice and it would be handy to have the rest of them not take terrain paint? I'm building a dimension where I needed to use loads of terrain paint, and I've bitte my desk more than once when wanting to build or improve things with blocks - and almost all block except metal blocks take terain paint, the usefulness of which can be discussed when it comes to snow paint, but when it comes to meadow paint or something like that, wouldn't one kind of blocks suffice? So you can "terraform" your dimension into a meadow and have wooden benches at the same time?

I'd like to hear your opinions on that (plus I'd really love a change).

Oh and the Draumheim Planter Box takes terrain paint as well in parts, which really looks abysmal. Dunno whether I'd rather hand this in as a ticket (try it looks really odd and hardly as though it is intended).

Thanks in advance.
    Some have a lifetime, and some just a day. Love is a thing you can't measure that way.

General of Telara

There are several reasons why this can't be changed at this point: this would destroy a lot of dimensions, people have built for years with the way it is now...

Also some paints only paint the top, not the sides, plenty of people use that effect. Also paints run out at the edges, a lot of builders use that effect too - you can still see the kind of block used and still have some paint show to create burn or dirt effects... I know you have to be very careful with paint esp when using items that take paint and you don't want them to, that's exactly the reason why I hardly use them - but do, in cases stated above :-)

You can almost always pull the paints down so far that the ground is still covered but the effect ends a few centimeters above ground, it takes some time to adjust, but maybe it will solve your problem :-) (if you are not in a second or higher level and don't want paint beneath that point)
    Last edited by Maegwynn; 09-08-2018 at 02:23 AM.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

Telaran

Of yourse you cannot alter it now. But I wonder why it was made in first place.

And of yourse I can use tons of terrain paint and make them small, but it takes up all the space in my dimension. Which I would have preferred to avoid. Thanks though, might work for other future dimensions.

We have dimension items that can be toggeled (i.e. Do the cats move or are they stationary). Why not have this toggle-able? Click here so your block won't take terrain paint (defulat would need to be yes, because of the existing dimensions).
    Last edited by Kaynda; 09-08-2018 at 11:36 PM.
    Some have a lifetime, and some just a day. Love is a thing you can't measure that way.

Shadowlander

Its a lot of extra data and coding to do that.

I terraform dimensions a lot, so i know the problems with paint.
    Time has taught me a few tricks with the paint that you can do to avoid, buildings and such from taking paint.

Lower the paint into the ground, terrain paint works like water, it got a top aka surface, you lower the paint enough to make it touch only the ground, as long as any building you make is placed higher than this surface, it will not take paint, same goes for paint on roofs, raise the paint enough and it will only touch the roof.

Hope that helps sorting your problems.
    -Chrys

Telaran

Hm need to try that. I always thought that terrain paint was like a sphere. so if you lower it, you have less area covered on the surface.

Coding toggleable blocks shouldn't be too difficult though. You already have what you need, toggleable items and block that take paint or don't take. Combine and it should be finished.

(But as it takes almost one year to get back dimensin potted plants.... seems too much asked for).

+ Reply to Thread