+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Pagoda Contest Stream

Plane Walker

Default The Pagoda Contest Stream

Hi guys
    I haven't been around for a while.
    I watched the Pagoda contest stream. I was so disappointed and then to find out because of it someone is leaving really saddened me. You know my feelings on positive support.
    Most of us that watched expected to see a stream we are use to seeing from Feendish and Diva. A celebration of all the hard work and wonderful creativity. That isn't what we got. It started off on a good note but sadly that didn't last long. Once the winners were shown negativity was unleashed. Consideration of others didn't seem to matter. I have watched Kelari Cuddles stream other dimension contests and this is her way and she is entitled to it. It isn't for me. Frankly I never entered a contest she promoted because of it and have told others that told me they were interested to watch one of the streams first. Kelari wasn't alone in these comments which was very disappointing to me.

If some feel strongly to express negative comments / constructive criticism in the future PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider the feelings of others. PLEASE consider doing it in private. There is a saying if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

For those who wish to enter a contest in the future, you may want to check out those involved first to know what to expect.
    Silence, there are times when it speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnth View Post
    Hi guys
    I haven't been around for a while.
    I watched the Pagoda contest stream. I was so disappointed and then to find out because of it someone is leaving really saddened me. You know my feelings on positive support.
    Most of us that watched expected to see a stream we are use to seeing from Feendish and Diva. A celebration of all the hard work and wonderful creativity. That isn't what we got. It started off on a good note but sadly that didn't last long. Once the winners were shown negativity was unleashed. Consideration of others didn't seem to matter. I have watched Kelari Cuddles stream other dimension contests and this is her way and she is entitled to it. It isn't for me. Frankly I never entered a contest she promoted because of it and have told others that told me they were interested to watch one of the streams first. Kelari wasn't alone in these comments which was very disappointing to me.

If some feel strongly to express negative comments / constructive criticism in the future PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider the feelings of others. PLEASE consider doing it in private. There is a saying if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

For those who wish to enter a contest in the future, you may want to check out those involved first to know what to expect.
    Really wrong of you to talk about someone like this in open and not in private! If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all. (follow your own advice)
    Last edited by Loveyttsab; 07-15-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Loveyttsab View Post
    Really wrong of you to talk about someone like this in open and not in private! If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.
    Normally I would have sent a PM to each of them. This is concerning to the community so I addressed it publicly .

I will not repeat the comments. But my opinion is that a good review is part of the good and the bad things that we saw.
    To share only the positive does not help the one who receives criticism. Send a private message with what shocked? Forgive me the expression but it's a little "fake". Those who read your comment then say that you have not been completely sincere.
    Of course, we must be constructive in our criticisms, and not say bad things about what has been done, only to mention what could be improved. This way to do the merit of allowing the person to defend his creation and why not make us better apprearl. After all, no one has the infused science, and we could review our judgment ourselves.
    And so, finally, I conclude that a good positive / negative criticism is essential, otherwise it is better to keep quiet for good.

I would like to point out that this post is essentially for shared-dimension visits to this forum, and is not related to competitions where I agree that judges should be cautious and cautious in their comments.
    Last edited by Arwhen; 07-16-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Adding

Disclaimer: I hope commenting on this thread doesn't automatically put a target on my back... There are some on forums who seem to really hold grudges.
    Disclaimer: this is how I do things. how you chose to do things is your choice. I simply hope you use your emotional intelligence to be mindful of the builder/poster

If you owned a restaurant that offered spicy foods as PART of the menu and someone ordered food, would you automatically make it five star spicy?

Or would you offer the person the chance to choose what level of spiciness they wanted?

If it was a repeat customer, you might have an idea of what they like. But will they always want it at the same level of spiciness?

This is how I feel about criticism within a game that is meant for fun and enjoyment. If I'm touring a dimension alone by myself and I find something I really like, I'll make it a point to drop a tell/send a letter/comment on a forum thread. I will state what I sincerely appreciated in their dimension and leave it at that. If I don't see something that really stands out to me, I simply won't say anything.

If a very close friend is finishing up a dimension, then I again will offer commentary on what I truly enjoyed and I might do some light checking work ~ is there flicker/would something need to be resized or moved/etc.... and then very politely and in the kindest way possible offer suggestions. If there is something I don't quite understand I will ask for clarification before saying anything about it.

If somebody I do not know very well invites me to a dimension, I'll tour and compliment publicly and send private tells about any floaters/things sticking through.

so all in all, I try to read my audience and then decide how I'm going to approach compliments and criticism.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

While there may be some flies that might go straight for the vinegar, that generally isn't the case. I guess you would have to know the fly, to know what to offer it.

I would still like to point out to the donors of lessons one example among others:
    I take the post: Come Visit Littleglows Homes in the Hills dated June 17th.
    The text: I would love to invite everyone to come and check out the homes I have been building. I have 2 in Homes in the hills. I decided I did not want to use my house and had a go myself.

This is my first attempt and I would love some feedback

This post has received 223 views, it's not huge but it's not nothing. How many answers did he receive? only one. Do you honestly think that treating him with indifference will make him progress? and do you think he will feel grown up? Would not it be more profitable for him to receive a dozen or so opinions of dimensionalists, even if there are some negative remarks among them (such as for example hanging on the steps (something I did not not mentioned, having self-censored)).

You have to admit that criticism does not necessarily rhyme with denigration. A criticism, whether positive or negative (attention, I did not say nasty, offensive or degrading) is a positive point, which allows the recipient to know its strengths and weaknesses and thus be able to transform its weaknesses in strengths. In public discussions and not in MP is also beneficial, the critic can see some of his arguments dismantled by other dimensionalists who have better understood the atmosphere of the dimension visited.

We speak of a community of sizers, a comunity works well through its exchanges and not by folding back on itself. Something that in my opinion is becoming more and more perceptible. If there had not been this controversy around the competition, the forum dimensions would have remained in lethargy. This outcry has at least had the merit of awakening the community. It is a plus that we must salute.

I let you draw the necessary conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Arwhen View Post
    I would still like to point out to the donors of lessons one example among others:
    I take the post: Come Visit Littleglows Homes in the Hills dated June 17th.
    The text: I would love to invite everyone to come and check out the homes I have been building. I have 2 in Homes in the hills. I decided I did not want to use my house and had a go myself.

This is my first attempt and I would love some feedback

This post has received 223 views, it's not huge but it's not nothing. How many answers did he receive? only one. Do you honestly think that treating him with indifference will make him progress? and do you think he will feel grown up? Would not it be more profitable for him to receive a dozen or so opinions of dimensionalists, even if there are some negative remarks among them (such as for example hanging on the steps (something I did not not mentioned, having self-censored)).

You have to admit that criticism does not necessarily rhyme with denigration. A criticism, whether positive or negative (attention, I did not say nasty, offensive or degrading) is a positive point, which allows the recipient to know its strengths and weaknesses and thus be able to transform its weaknesses in strengths. In public discussions and not in MP is also beneficial, the critic can see some of his arguments dismantled by other dimensionalists who have better understood the atmosphere of the dimension visited.

We speak of a community of sizers, a comunity works well through its exchanges and not by folding back on itself. Something that in my opinion is becoming more and more perceptible. If there had not been this controversy around the competition, the forum dimensions would have remained in lethargy. This outcry has at least had the merit of awakening the community. It is a plus that we must salute.

I let you draw the necessary conclusions.
    Thank you, Arwhen!!! I wish i could wright and explain that good as you can. Thank you! Agree with every word!

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...ml#post5359680

See my post here, hopefully we can move on from here quite quickly!
    Fwob - Zaviel

Plane Walker

After reading all threads connected on this subject I really debated whether to respond or not. I didn't want to prolong this.

Some seem to be missing the point here. No one ever suggested any comment good or negative/ constructive criticism should not be made. It was suggested that if anyone felt the need to give negative/ constructive criticism to think about the feelings of others and to consider doing it in private. Nothing else just consideration for your fellow Dimmers.

As for the rest here goes.

Lovettsab Yes I didn't pm those judges. I felt it important to address this publicly because the community was concerned about it. If the post helped one person... I will take the label. No one is perfect including me.

Arwhen I am sorry you felt the need to go personal here. We talked previously on this matter through pm. I told you my concerns and I would respect whatever decision you made. That being said It didn't mean I wouldn't ask others to consider giving negative/constructive criticism privately.

Spark this should come as no surprise I agree with all.

Arwhen not everyone uses the forum. Unlike EU dim chat NA dim chat is very active, communication about new dims are advertised and discussed all the time. Others send mail or pm after touring a dimension advertised on the forum.

Refuge great post.

If I missed something I apologize.
    Last edited by Marnth; 07-17-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: corrected spelling ,added reason for debate

To read the (second) part about me, I understand that I know little about what is happening on US servers (Still happy). I also deduce that if it does not go back to the forum, it is because it does not concern us, poor little Europeans that we are. I will therefore try in the future to no longer imbibe myself in conversations that are not addressed. I will be as discreet as possible. I do not know if it's still worth it to post my new dimensions here, since this medium is not an essential part of the life of the dimensions (I had to read the name of the forum badly).
    See you soon ... or not!

General of Telara

This is where I need to step in.

Since our DA chat is not very active, with not so many people in it (we do have language barriers too), we need this forum to advertise, get to see new dimension, and simply not to get left behind.

Arwhen, please do continue to showcase your dimensions here. I would love to see more NA dimensions on here too. And please, Arwhen, you are always welcome to point out stuff in my dimensions, it has ALWAYS been helpful to me.

I do understand that not everybody can take it, but I have never seen Arwhen NOT be constructive and kind about anything. There is a difference in "I don't like it, therefore it's bad" and "I love your ideas/dimension, however, there a flickers there and there, fixing this would make your build even better". I think it's sad this isn't understood by everyone, and having said that, I usually ask people if hints are welcome or not.

That's my 2 pennies, and I hope people will return to the forums, it has been awfully quiet over here. We don't have access to NA chat, we can't just move our stuff to a NA shard, we need this medium.
    Last edited by Maegwynn; 07-17-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

Plane Walker

The statement not everyone uses the forum is not a reflection on anyone. Some don't advertise, some read but don't respond and some don't use it at all. This is nothing new. I have toured dimensions on both EU and NA that were not advertised. I mentioned the difference in the dim chats because I thought Arwhen might not know what happens in the NA chat. This also was not a reflection on anyone. People use the method of communication they are comfortable with. I was just pointing that out.

Default four words

Don't be an *******.

also everyone needs to understand the TIME AND EFFORT we all put into these builds, you dim elites need to remember that. I really don't wanna see anymore ******** from this community, there is no reason for it at all. If you want to be elite keep your mouth closed, because as far as I can see no one here is cool with just creating and having fun, which it should be. only that. I think if someone wants to leave the game due to some shady stuff, that is on them and I don't blame them. I just am here to create what I want, why is it so hurtful? i will not be doing contest anytime soon because of obvious reasons and to those that think they did not affect the people who worked hard on their builds, remember where you came from.
    Last edited by MissGreen; 07-18-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Quote Originally Posted by Arwhen View Post
    To read the (second) part about me, I understand that I know little about what is happening on US servers (Still happy). I also deduce that if it does not go back to the forum, it is because it does not concern us, poor little Europeans that we are. I will therefore try in the future to no longer imbibe myself in conversations that are not addressed. I will be as discreet as possible. I do not know if it's still worth it to post my new dimensions here, since this medium is not an essential part of the life of the dimensions (I had to read the name of the forum badly).
    See you soon ... or not!
    lol!! this is the person who told me my dim is crap!!! To bad because I got better. I don't mean to keep bringing it up but I think I am okay to do so. Since you had that incentive to tell me how mine sucked so bad.Not cool.
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Marnth View Post
    The statement not everyone uses the forum is not a reflection on anyone. Some don't advertise, some read but don't respond and some don't use it at all. This is nothing new. I have toured dimensions on both EU and NA that were not advertised. I mentioned the difference in the dim chats because I thought Arwhen might not know what happens in the NA chat. This also was not a reflection on anyone. People use the method of communication they are comfortable with. I was just pointing that out.
    I am one of those people who does not advertise my dimensions and rarely posts in this part of the forum, not because I am apathetic but because my time is limited and I believe that people interested in dimensions who actively tour will find my dimensions on their own. While I enjoy building in dimensions, my main interest in Rift is end game content, not just for myself, but for the many people who love(d) Rift and helped make it a great game. Sadly, all of that is becoming past tense.

It is a shame that Trion is failing on the dimensioneering front, too. The dimension community is not helping itself by ridiculing an artist's work, intended or not. The lesson that should be learned here is, "Be mindful of how you publicly portray yourself when regarding another person's creative endeavor."
    Veylin@Laethys <Nefarious>
    Veylin@Vigil <Ten Inches Unbuffed>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast