Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Name Reclaim - Concerns Regarding Older Dims

Default Name Reclaim - Concerns Regarding Older Dims

So I watched the rift stream just, and I thought it was fairly clear what will happen;

If someone claims a name of a player who hasn't logged in for over a year, then the original owner of the name will disappear from any current lists they were in.

This includes guilds (good) and dims (worrying).

There are a lot of classic dims out there from players who are not active anymore and deserved to be viewable by all players. Unfortunately if someone is ignorant or malicious, they could take their name and their dims would no longer be visible on any list making those dims inaccessible. This could be quite disastrous if trolling players want to remove some dims off the all time favourites list. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption, but this is what I gathered from the stream. God forbid if I couldn't visit dims from players like Seyler & Chulia.
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-11-2018 at 07:04 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Default from the other thread...

this can be found on the other thread....
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse View Post
    Name Reclaim/Release is still currently slated for Feb 14, with the Wednesday hotfix for that week. I will watch it like a hawk in case any delay arises!

Following up on some outstanding questions:

- the old name will display until the player selects a new one upon login, and then the new name will be updated on guild rosters and friends lists.

- players who take on a newly cleared name will not take the place of the previous player in guild or friend rosters.

- dimensions belonging to inactive players will display the old name until a new name is selected upon login, then they will automatically update.
    Hope that addresses your concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Sparklynn View Post
    this can be found on the other thread....

Hope that addresses your concerns
    This is just half the story. The stream also elaborated on names being removed from lists if someone else took the name.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Default hmmm...

This worrying me a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    So I watched the rift stream just, and I thought it was fairly clear what will happen;

If someone claims a name of a player who hasn't logged in for over a year, then the original owner of the name will disappear from any current lists they were in.

This includes guilds (good) and dims (worrying).

There are a lot of classic dims out there from players who are not active anymore and deserved to be viewable by all players. Unfortunately if someone is ignorant or malicious, they could take their name and their dims would no longer be visible on any list making those dims inaccessible. This could be quite disastrous if trolling players want to remove some dims off the all time favourites list. Correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption, but this is what I gathered from the stream. God forbid if I couldn't visit dims from players like Seyler & Chulia.
    Yes, this was the first thing I thought of when they said they were removing names... Dims disappearing.
    And it is so easy for a troll or jealous player to create a toon with well known names that I'm pretty sure it will happen...

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this concern then, as I saw so many views, but no replies. I wasn't sure if I was talking nonsense!

If I'm right on this matter, then we need more dim players to speak up please. This is going live in 2 days, this isn't a minor issue at all.

If anything, I'll create a character name called Seyler just to prove my point, then the Devs will need to act.
    Fwob - Zaviel

I may not be totally understanding this.

It's the number of likes that dim has that holds their place in the dim list, right? Not their name. I wouldn't think it would effect dims being removed just because the name changed. If I had a dim called Awesome, & it had 978 likes & that put me at the top 10, & I didn't play Rift again for 4 yrs....After a name reclaim/release, someone comes up with my name, Awesome will still be there in the top 10 due to those 978 likes it has, right? If not, then it would just be in limbo until I logged back in & chose another name. Doing that should put it back to where it was in the list, unless of course others ended up with more than 978 likes.

Am I understanding it right?

Dimensions: TORTURE CHAMBER ( 10/2014 ) on Faeblight by Tuasemper
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Wolfsbane by Elleeander

Quote Originally Posted by Tuasemper View Post

It's the number of likes that dim has that holds their place in the dim list, right? Not their name. I wouldn't think it would effect dims being removed just because the name changed. If I had a dim called Awesome, & it had 978 likes & that put me at the top 10, & I didn't play Rift again for 4 yrs....After a name reclaim/release, someone comes up with my name, Awesome will still be there in the top 10 due to those 978 likes it has, right? If not, then it would just be in limbo until I logged back in & chose another name. Doing that should put it back to where it was in the list, unless of course others ended up with more than 978 likes.

Problem is I asked exactly what would happen to a dim if the original owner's name is taken by a new toon, and no answer was given. I asked this several times from the first day and I begin to think devs themselves don't know what will happen.

Dims are staying as they are ONLY if the original owner comes back and changes name (or takes back his old name), or if no one takes the name of the original owner. If it is taken... we don't know.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Tuasemper View Post

Yes you are understanding it right, nothing changes Awesome remains. If someone loses their name they will be prompted to change it when they log in but the number of likes on their dimension still on the same server does not change. On the dimension list the name remains as it always has been until the dimension owner changes their name when they log in.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 02-12-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Yes you are understanding it right, nothing changes Awesome remains. If someone loses their name they will be prompted to change it when they log in but the number of likes on their dimension still on the same server does not change. On the dimension list the name remains as it always has been until the dimension owner changes their name when they log in.
    I'll be glad if this is the case, but you can't possibly have 2 Awesomes, if a new Awesome logs in then the Awesome on the dim list will be removed, this is what I gathered from the stream. His likes will stay there of course, but he won't be shown on any lists until a new name is chosen by the original owner.

Think about it, if new Awesome starts creating dimensions, then the old Awesome's dims must be removed from any lists, unless searching Awesome will give the dims of both players.

This is starting to get really aggravating. People clearly are not seeing what I see, or no one is explaining it correctly.
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-13-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I'll be glad if this is the case, but you can't possibly have 2 Awesomes, if a new Awesome logs in then the Awesome on the dim list will be removed, this is what I gathered from the stream. His likes will stay there of course, but he won't be shown on any lists until a new name is chosen by the original owner.

Think about it, if new Awesome starts creating dimensions, then the old Awesome's dims must be removed from any lists, unless searching Awesome will give the dims of both players.

This is starting to get really aggravating. People clearly are not seeing what I see, or no one is explaining it correctly.

The Dimension UI and in game names are two separate things, I see what you are saying but why get aggravated? There is no full solution without the original dimension builders interaction. I also see it as an opportunity to see old players log back in and I may make Eightynine on Greybriar to taunt my good friend with who I still keep in contact with to make him play again...

That aside if they can and still care they'll log back in if they can't or don't care they still remain forever as they were on the Dimension list.

So no real change to the dimensions or their placement except the player's name possibly changing. Good to know. Thanks Kiwi.

Refuge: The Awesome I was talking about isn't the player's name, but the name of the dimension. If I change my name, the dim name will still be called Awesome. The only way the title Awesome would change is if the player who created that dim changed that name themselves. Changing their own name doesn't affect the name of the dim, or it's placement. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Tuasemper; 02-13-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Dimensions: TORTURE CHAMBER ( 10/2014 ) on Faeblight by Tuasemper
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Wolfsbane by Elleeander

Read your example wrong. That's my bad
    Fwob - Zaviel

I see it, I think, and no answer was given about it.
    Suppose dimensioner A did some amazing dims 2 years ago. He gets his name removed because he's no more ingame.
    The A-dims will stay as they were.
    But if player B decides to rename /make a toon with the now free A name?
    New player A will not appear as owner of the A-dims, but the existence of a new A will remove the A-dims from the visible list. The only way the A-dims can appear again as they were is if original A player comes back ingame to rename himself and update his dims.

This is how I understand the system, and this is why there is a potential problem for old dims.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    The Dimension UI and in game names are two separate things, I see what you are saying but why get aggravated? There is no full solution without the original dimension builders interaction. I also see it as an opportunity to see old players log back in and I may make Eightynine on Greybriar to taunt my good friend with who I still keep in contact with to make him play again...

That aside if they can and still care they'll log back in if they can't or don't care they still remain forever as they were on the Dimension list.
    I'm aggravated as this is still casually being looked over. There are many old dimmers who don't play anymore and won't play anymore, I just think it would be a shame not to be able to visit their dims any more if someone else takes their name.

A simple solution would be to give the older players a randomly generated name if their original name is taken from someone new. At least then we can search the dimension name and their dims will still be accessible. If they aren't given a placeholder until they login then there is no way to search their dims and therefore no way to access them.

Unless once again someone gives me a decent explanation for why this might not happen.
    Last edited by Refuge; 02-13-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    Fwob - Zaviel

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast