Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Name Reclaim - Concerns Regarding Older Dims

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    A simple solution would be to give the older players a randomly generated name if their original name is taken from someone new. At least then we can search the dimension name and their dims will still be accessible. If they aren't given a placeholder until they login then there is no way to search their dims and therefore no way to access them.
    good idea... but I think this is an automated process and if they did not see the problem themselves, it is too late. Or maybe... They just delayed the renaming. This begins to feel scary, I hope they know what they do.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    But if player B decides to rename /make a toon with the now free A name?
    New player A will not appear as owner of the A-dims, but the existence of a new A will remove the A-dims from the visible list. The only way the A-dims can appear again as they were is if original A player comes back ingame to rename himself and update his dims.

This is how I understand the system, and this is why there is a potential problem for old dims.
    That is not correct.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    That is not correct.
    So please explain what would happen to the A-dims?

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

4.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #19
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    I'm aggravated as this is still casually being looked over.

Unless once again someone gives me a decent explanation for why this might not happen.
    It isn't being casually looked over. It has been tested internally, communicated, and others here have tried communicating it again.

The old dims will still be there, and will not visually change in their display unless the original player logs in.

The game itself will not care if there is more than one player with the same name. If a new character snags a released name and even starts making dims, both the old player's and the new player's dims will be displayed. It is like the Auction House - there is no barrier to two different things being displayed with the same exact name (even though we do try to avoid duplicate names just for clarity).

If it helps understand better - the game does not track characters by name. Characters - and basically every entity in the game, such as items, NPCs, quest objectives, etc - are just ID numbers. The character name is just a display name. It is how you, as a player, interact with other characters. It is something more personable and easy to remember and USE, so we use display names (possibly with @shard) as the unique for being active on the server because that is the best method for player interactions. But really, the game itself doesn't need every name to be unique - which is why it can leave the UI display of old dims unchanged and still support a new character snagging a released old name.
    Rift Team Designer
    Live Content Watch Commander

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #20
    Director of Community Relations TrionBrasse's Avatar

I have added Tacitus' clarification to the current thread in progress.
    I am now closing this thread, as it is confusing to others and divides the conversation.

Please refer to the new Name Reclaim thread here, where ALL updates will appear:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...-answered.html

Thanks!
    Brasse

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2