• 4 Post By Gwed
  • 1 Post By Arwhen
  • 4 Post By Kiwi
  • 2 Post By Gwed
  • 2 Post By Mordrahan

Thread: "Lock" Feature for Dimensions UI

Default "Lock" Feature for Dimensions UI

Hi everyone!

I was wondering... A lot of us dimensioners are afraid to accidentally replace a dimension. Some people have upwards of ten builds per char!

I was wondering if it would be possible to add a "lock" feature to the dimensions interface, a bit like the one on the action bar, which would "lock" a key in its slot. This wouldn't affect anything on the inside, like building or editing, but it would prevent us inadvertently replacing the key itself in its active slot.

I know there is currently a message in place to "confirm" that we want to pack it up and replace it, but in my mind, the issue is that when you open the interface, there's the first slot's key, and you need to scroll through to the one you want. But, whenever you enter/leave a dimension, the UI is always "refreshed" to that first slot again, which is how the accidents happen. E.g. You've scrolled through them, decided which dimension you do want to replace, click the button, but alas, without realizing, you are back at slot #1 and a key/build you are fond of, and you hit that "confirm" button convinced you're at the correct slot...

Not sure if what I'm saying makes sense. But maybe the "lock" solution might reduce the "oops" effect (and subsequent support tickets). Because as long as the slot is "locked", you won't replace it by accident. In this scenario, you would scroll through your slots, decide which key you want to replace, unlock it, and then click the key you want to replace it with. Then the "confirm" button comes up, click yes... If the "lock" is on, the message would say the "lock" is on, so, you'd be forced to look at the dim's title again, and then you'd realize you almost made a horrible mistake.

"Lock" Feature for Dimensions UI-lockunlock.jpg

"Lock" Feature for Dimensions UI-lockunlockui.jpg

"Lock" Feature for Dimensions UI-lockunlockui.gif

I'm not a coder or developer-type, so I don't know if this is something that is possible, or if it's too complicated, etc. but, it might be a small preventative measure that could help alleviate worries and support requests?

Thanks for considering it!

Gwed
    Last edited by Gwed; 12-30-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typoes

~ Gwedhiel Zavira Warik ~

NEW! Visit my blog The Daily Gwed, for fashion inspiration and dimension touring expeditions!

I had suggested a good time on the moment, but apparently it did not have a positive echo. And yet it is true that a bad manipulation happens, I personally know several players who made the mistake ... and regret it again

Ascendant

Its been asked for many times throughout the years in two different forms. Locking items in a dimension and locking dimensions via the UI for this reason you explained. In the stickied thread for suggestions above its peppered throughout it also.

I'm sure we'd have if the coding were possible, budget friendly and also 100% not going to break anything else especially folks built dimensions. (That last one is something Tacitus always ponders.) Thought I would say in case you see no response even after the holidays, never harmful to ask again in case it's possible now because locking items and dimensions would be grand.

Thanks, Kiwi! I figured it might be complicated. Hopefully, it'll be possible sooner rather than later.

~ Gwedhiel Zavira Warik ~

NEW! Visit my blog The Daily Gwed, for fashion inspiration and dimension touring expeditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Its been asked for many times throughout the years in two different forms. Locking items in a dimension and locking dimensions via the UI for this reason you explained.
    Locking keys and locking items in a dim are two very different things.
    One is a UI modification, the other involves the items /item list in the dim itself.
    From what we saw in recent changes to dims, anything directly involving a dim content /list is very sensitive.
    Maybe the UI lock could be easier to do, and it would be a great improvement.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 12-31-2017 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Or at least a style warning message: WARNING! you are about to delete this dimension from the list of active dimensions. Do you want to continue?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Yep I do get this , hence why I mentioned budget. Tacitus has said throughout this year on skype that UI changes are not currently possible hence my surprise on the lockbox UI changes when they occurred back then I think those resources would have been better spent on dimensions more so storage than this but this is important also.

+ Reply to Thread