+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By kaymcleod
  • 1 Post By polynomia
  • 2 Post By Gwed
  • 1 Post By Skiye

Thread: The Little Match Girl

Default The Little Match Girl

This dim is about 2 years old, so some of you have seen it, but I visited it anew a month ago when I came back to the game after a long hiatus. It was darker than I remembered, but I checked it again today after some of the vfx/lighting fixes and it pops now! I am so thankful for the devs attention to detail.

I would love to have visitors again! The story is by Hans Christian Andersen and is summarized here:

On a cold New Year's Eve, a poor, young girl tries to sell matches in the street. She is already shivering from cold and early hypothermia, and she is walking barefoot having lost her too large slippers.[1] Still, she is too afraid to go home, because her father will beat her for not selling any matches, and also as the many cracks in their shack can't keep out the cold wind. The girl takes shelter in a nook or alley and sits down.[2]

The girl lights the matches to warm herself. In their glow she sees several lovely visions, starting with a warm stove, then a luxurious holiday feast where the goose almost jumps out at her, and then a magnificent Christmas tree larger than the one at the rich merchant's house. The girl looks skyward and sees a shooting star; she then remembers her late grandmother saying that such a falling star means someone is dying and is going to Heaven. As she lights the next match, she sees a vision of her grandmother, the only person to have treated her with love and kindness all through her life. To keep the vision of her grandmother alive for as long as she can, the girl lights the entire bundle of matches at once.

After running out of matches the child dies and her grandmother carries her soul to Heaven. The next morning, passers-by find the girl dead in the nook, frozen with a smile on her face, and guess the reason for the burnt-out matches beside her. They feel pity for her, although they had not shown kindness to her before her death. They have no way of knowing about the wonderful visions she saw before her death or how gloriously she is celebrating the New Year in Heaven with her grandmother.

I hope you enjoy it.

Shard: Wolfsbane
    Char: Prasutaggus
    Name: The Little Match Girl
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (43), Prasutagus (22)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

Oh I will have to go check that one out, I remember reading it a long time ago and would love to see that recreated

Hans Christian Andersen wrote some pretty dark and sad stories,
    One in particular has stuck in my mind forever "The story of a mother" (or at least I think that's the English translation) I found that one even more heart wrenching.

Gosh, this one moved me. It's such a sad story to begin with, and seeing that she's "fallen asleep" dreaming of what others have: a warm bed, food on the table, gifts at Christmas... Touching. Thanks for sharing!

~ Gwedhiel Zavira Warik ~

NEW! Visit my blog The Daily Gwed, for fashion inspiration and dimension touring expeditions!

Rift Chaser

Wow, very nicely done.

+ Reply to Thread