+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Maegwynn
  • 2 Post By Lynx3d

Thread: Item snap in dimensions

Default Item snap in dimensions

I have just recently started tinkering around with dimensions and am curious if there is a control to allow you to snap two pieces together? For example, two wood floors snapped together so they are butted up against each other and also the same height. I know game engines that I have worked with, like the Unreal Engine 4, have this feature and am just curious if Rift does as well. It would make things much easier for me. Thanks for any replies.

General of Telara

No, but you can use an addon for that, like tinker tools. Copy/paste on the exact same spot and then move the item, or use offsets for seamless connections.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

The newest versions of TT have a Connector function, which pretty much lets you copy/paste without having to push extra buttons, lined up on the axis you choose. I've always experimented with that on a rotation, but I'm pretty sure it would still work on a flat surface build.

Links might help if TT is something you're interested in trying out. You can get Tinker Tools from Curse or the master zip from GitHub.
    Last edited by Feendish; 10-25-2017 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Forgot the TT link, duh!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    The newest versions of TT have a Connector function, which pretty much lets you copy/paste without having to push extra buttons, lined up on the axis you choose. I've always experimented with that on a rotation, but I'm pretty sure it would still work on a flat surface build.

Links might help if TT is something you're interested in trying out. You can get Tinker Tools from Curse or the master zip from GitHub.

uhhh... time to download the newest version ;)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    uhhh... time to download the newest version ;)
    Yeah...the connector tool is pretty sweet. I had a bit of trial and error in getting rotations going the right way, but once you get that part done, the rest is a snap, and the need for the offset calculator or anything else is pretty much driven out.

The only thing, tho, is if your building block is set on multiple angles (i.e, a plank like /), the tool won't work, and you'd still have to use custom pivot or a normal copy and paste.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I am going to install tinker tools today.

General of Telara

Yea the connector tool should help in such situations, but it is not quite finished yet. All the text strings are place holder and hence not localized yet. It is only on github currently.
    I'm also still hoping for some inspiration how to make it a little less confusing, the limitations of the addon API make it challenging...
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

+ Reply to Thread