+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Question for fellow dimmers (pure curiosity)

Default Question for fellow dimmers (pure curiosity)

Hello dimensionerds!
    I have a small question for you guys regarding your building 'traditions'. Here's something I've noticed about myself: whenever I finish a contest entry (=a build where the theme and limitations weren't set by me), or a large build (something I've been working on for months, something that took a while to think through etc), I tend to build something quick and small-ish, just to take my mind off the previous theme before starting on the next big project. Usually I already have the general idea and some thoughts on what to build next, but for some reason I need those small builds in between the big ones. Most of the time I take a dim with a low item limit to kind of set the bar for how much time I wish to spend on it (or take a big one but only upgrade it to t3-t4), like Breach Chamber, Sanguine Shores and such.

So, I was wondering, does anyone else have this 'tradition', or you just take a break from building, or maybe start on the next big project right after you've finished one? How do you guys 'switch' between your contest/big builds?
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Hello dimensionerds!
    I have a small question for you guys regarding your building 'traditions'. Here's something I've noticed about myself: whenever I finish a contest entry (=a build where the theme and limitations weren't set by me), or a large build (something I've been working on for months, something that took a while to think through etc), I tend to build something quick and small-ish, just to take my mind off the previous theme before starting on the next big project. Usually I already have the general idea and some thoughts on what to build next, but for some reason I need those small builds in between the big ones. Most of the time I take a dim with a low item limit to kind of set the bar for how much time I wish to spend on it (or take a big one but only upgrade it to t3-t4), like Breach Chamber, Sanguine Shores and such.

So, I was wondering, does anyone else have this 'tradition', or you just take a break from building, or maybe start on the next big project right after you've finished one? How do you guys 'switch' between your contest/big builds?
    It depends. Sometimes, I've gone right from big project to big project to big project with no downtime. At others, I have to take a break. When I take that time, I typically don't do anything with dimensions except poke my head randomly into one I see on the list with a name that strikes my fancy. It really just depends on how much I put into the project--and it's not typically the houses that burn me out, it's the hard structures and temple type things.

Your small projects sound a lot like my doodles (which are not remotely like Marnth's doodles ). Usually in a Sanguine Shores or Tower Meadow, and almost always some kind of small abstract or fragment of an idea.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I am a pintrest junkie. So in between builds I am normally looking for rl holiday ideas. While doing that I will see something cute and see if I can build it in a dim. Usually I fail but it will spark ideas for new dims while trying

I have a bit different method. At any given time, I have 3-4 builds on the go. They are usually completely different themes as well. I switch back and forth from build to build as ideas and moods present themselves. I have a couple that have been on-going for years, and those are the ones i often slip back to between contests. I find after being away i have a new perspective.
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

@Feendish doodles! That's the word lol, it's what my small builds usually are. Low item limit won't allow for anything too detailed and fancy, but it takes my mind off 'big ideas' and still lets me make something quick and nice that I'm not embarrassed to show hehe

@Kitasia I used to keep Pinterest as my idea stash, but ended up using more than that. In one of the social media sites, I keep a private album with dimension ideas that I check sometimes if I need inspiration (can't pin pictures from there, which is why I need that separate album); and then there's Instagram where you can also save stuff in albums ('collections') that you can't save anywhere else. So I'm kind of spread between all these sites and all of them have different pictures and ideas:D

@Zillaan I do have a couple 'ongoing' projects as well, I just can't bring myself to working on any of them right after I've finished something big. So instead they just kind of hang there waiting for me to become interested again. Sometimes it's actually a good thing though! For example, I was working on one project, and then accidentally picked up the wrong thing (we all know how that feels lol), which obviously screwed up the whole dimension in a second. So I rage quit, thinking I'm never going to finish it, and then realize there's another key that I could use for this idea that would be so much better. So now I'm moving that one to this new key and rebuilding from scratch. Same with just whenever a new key is out, you might realize it's a better option and start over using that key because it just fits better.
    Last edited by Laeti; 09-04-2017 at 04:45 AM.

General of Telara

I like to throw in small dimensions between big ones too It's not a real strategy though, I just like the challenge of the small dimensions, it keeps me down to earth, not trying to achieve more and more until I reach my limit and rage quit dimensioneering alltogether (I've seen that happening).

But sometimes I just take a break. I was unable to do that 2 years ago, I just had SO MANY ideas and was almost speed building, throwing one after the other out there... One dimension finished, 2 hours break, getting bored and asking: and what am I going to build now?
    I'm a bit calmer now, only building when I really want to, taking time, having breaks of a few days to weeks... a much saner attitude towards dimensions, though sometimes it still gets me and I build like a maniac
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    I like to throw in small dimensions between big ones too :) It's not a real strategy though, I just like the challenge of the small dimensions, it keeps me down to earth, not trying to achieve more and more until I reach my limit and rage quit dimensioneering alltogether (I've seen that happening).

But sometimes I just take a break. I was unable to do that 2 years ago, I just had SO MANY ideas and was almost speed building, throwing one after the other out there... One dimension finished, 2 hours break, getting bored and asking: and what am I going to build now?
    I'm a bit calmer now, only building when I really want to, taking time, having breaks of a few days to weeks... a much saner attitude towards dimensions, though sometimes it still gets me and I build like a maniac :D
    Hehe I have a somewhat 'outside' limit to the amount of dims I'm building (and the amount of hours spent doing that) - whenever I'm not at home, I can't access Rift (laptop stopped being fun more than a year ago, and I can't afford another gaming PC where I'm staying), so I can't build (or play, for that matter). That gives me more than enough time to take breaks from building every now and then (and usually, it's pretty much every other week). So whenever I am at home, I try to build at least a little depending on how much work and other stuff I need to do. I do sincerely envy people who can build daily:)

I tend to build like Zillaan, with several to quite a few works in progress. Then after puttering around with a couple of them, I suddenly get an idea for something completely different and go build that. And in the last year or so, new items in the store or in stashes inspire ideas that I pull out of mothballs because suddenly they are doable with the item counts we have available.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    I tend to build like Zillaan, with several to quite a few works in progress. Then after puttering around with a couple of them, I suddenly get an idea for something completely different and go build that. And in the last year or so, new items in the store or in stashes inspire ideas that I pull out of mothballs because suddenly they are doable with the item counts we have available.
    I still prefer morphing things myself, but you're so right, there's more and more things in the store/minions/events/boxes that allow for more creative freedom as you can replace some of the morphs with new things and get to morph other things that you previously could not due to item limits:)

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I still prefer morphing things myself, but you're so right, there's more and more things in the store/minions/events/boxes that allow for more creative freedom as you can replace some of the morphs with new things and get to morph other things that you previously could not due to item limits
    Yep I was specifically thinking of Avalon, where I could use the new prebuilt houses for the setting instead of having to make each from building blocks. That project would never be possible in the way I imagined it without the premades.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Im like a couple of others with dimension a.d.d, I have about 10 wips going all at once and bounce between the lot of them, all in varying stages of wipness. I can focus on just one build at a time but i much prefer to just do whatever i want at any given moment lol. Ya never know when an idea for something will strike
    Naerhya@Greybriar(previous name was Ashlynae) Anaemeah@Greybriar Anaetta@Greybriar Zanae@Greybriar Rhyashianae@Greybriar and Jhasta@Greybriar

https://twitter.com/AshlynaeRift?lang=en

Quote Originally Posted by Anaemeah View Post
    Im like a couple of others with dimension a.d.d, I have about 10 wips going all at once and bounce between the lot of them, all in varying stages of wipness. I can focus on just one build at a time but i much prefer to just do whatever i want at any given moment lol. Ya never know when an idea for something will strike:mdr2:
    I'd probably do the same if only I didn't have to empty and re-fill all my bags in order to switch between the dims :)

While I'm building, my bags are always full leaving a few slots for minion loot. Whenever I finish a dim, I first go empty the bags into banks and storages and then re-fill them according to the next dim theme even if that means picking up the same items I just dropped off 5 minutes ago lol. If I start switching whenever I feel like, I'd spend half my time just jumping between banks and storages rearranging stuff :D

I only take on one major project at a time, and I will normally take some time off in between each one where I don't do any new ones. I might pop into existing dimensions, and do a small re-detailing of a room or rearrange the furniture. But, I feel I need to take time off after a big build.

It may be related to the fact that I am not particularly artistic... I'm more of a logician or engineer in my approach to dimensions. Maybe that has to do with the difference in our approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    I have a bit different method. At any given time, I have 3-4 builds on the go. They are usually completely different themes as well. I switch back and forth from build to build as ideas and moods present themselves. I have a couple that have been on-going for years, and those are the ones i often slip back to between contests. I find after being away i have a new perspective.
    This is what I feel like.
    CC3 was a real challenge, I built it in 3 weeks, so it was a full time job (because I'm so slow it takes me a full day to make a door morph... and walls are worse).
    Just before the contest, I made a dim for RP purposes.
    So dimensioning for weeks left me with a need for a break
    And now I have to progress in the game, because my guild also raids.

I have my main dimension, Domaine Imari, polished for years, so if I need a bit of dimensioning I go there and change little details.
    And I need to work more on the contest Refuge, because I have some more ideas to put in it. And I have a big project in a corner of my mind, waiting for when I will need to go building full time again.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, ą la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post

I have my main dimension, Domaine Imari, polished for years, so if I need a bit of dimensioning I go there and change little details.
    That's a very interesting approach. I don't have a dimension I could call my main, usually I either finish something and stay happy with it, or re-visit my old builds and decide if I should completely scrap them and make something new or just re-work something and then leave it like that. I did that to my "little dreamhouse' dim that was my first 'complete' build at the time (a completely terrible one, I might add). I upgraded the dim to 500 and re-worked everything that the item limit would allow. Many things stayed the same but I doubt I'll revisit them, I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I guess a main dim that would make me want to constantly come back and update it would also have to be a theme that I never get tired of :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast