+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Future Dimension Contests

Telaran

Default Future Dimension Contests

Greetings

I wanted to enter the contest : It takes a village, however after checking out the competitioners previous Work, I already feel disencuraged.

I love Building/making dimensions, but I will never reach that level of professional building as the ones (always) entering the competition. Ive been Building since release and I dont think my builds are hopeless, even without using any addons. I do tend to build many of my dimensions with a sence of humor - at least I think they have..

One thing that strikes me when visiting the prof builders dimensions, is some of the items that makes it look complete. Just as an exsample I visited a dimension which was made as summerparty place. Without the huge amount items from summerevent it would never look complete.

I will never be able to obtain such an amount of those items from Events, Store or pricey ones in Auctionhall, even tho im not short of any other dimension items.

Therefore I would like to suggest competitions for both prof builders and amature builders.

How a dimension it entered - either prof or amature - would be a judges call I guess. If a dimension is entered as an amature build, i guess it would need a judgements call if its too prof or not, to be in that category. Even a lesser reward for the Winners of an amature build could be a reason for profs not submit a build to the amature category. (How to check if a builder does not enter one in each category using an alt...well that i cannot answer).

I would never copy builds fx toilets to make my dimension more prof looking. After visiting two dimensions by two different builders but seeing the same toilet build with only the lit being different...it seems a bit copycat like. I personally prefer originality, even if it looks like an amature build it.

/Dove the amature dimension builder

General of Telara

How would you define a professional builder? There is no such thing, nobody is getting paid for it. Some are professional artists, but other than a feel for colors that doesn't help much in dimensions.
    In the last contest, a first time builder won. Should judges then decide it looked way too professional? Or do you think the amount of dimensions should count?

I'm just curious.

As for event items, that's a matter of time, I've seen people do summer event with all their alts, no matter the level, to get the stuff they wanted and stockpile items for the year. But I've also seen great things done with simple items coming out of minion boxes.

Back to contests. I know it can be discouraging when you look at other people's dimensions, but just try to have fun and build what you love. Then if you are entering a contest, read the rules carefully and follow them, and you have just as much chances as everyone else.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

Regarding this dividing of contests, it's silly and completely unnecessary.
    Contests presents a theme which the contestants then interpret in the best way they can.
    No contest will assume or demand that you have access to specific items in order to win.

Just of the top of my head, I recall Zeamage building the most amazing little model sail ship as a mantle piece (see bottom of post for a picture). It was just made from blue wood and limestone on a small row boat, but looked absolutely stunning.
    It is often these morphs (combining items to create something new) that makes a dimension stand out in a contest.
    Yes you will see some of the same builders in these contests, but also many new ones, and it has happened more than once that new builders won.

Entering a contest and not winning does not mean that your dimension wasn't good, there was just some that were a tiny bit better.
    If you want to improve your building skills I suggest getting more involved in the dimension community and talk to the other builders, most of us are very helpful
    Visit some of the dimensions you really admire, and study (not copy) them to see what it is that makes them stand out, and get some inspiration for your own dimension.

And don't be afraid to sign up for contests. In my experience, regardless if you win or not, you will learn a lot both from building your own dimension, and touring the other contestants dimensions.

I just wanted to clarify that simply adding lots of expensive or rare items to a dimension does NOT make it great. If you slap a 5k thingy in a poorly built dimension, it will still be a poorly built dimension.
    Yes some people grind more during events and have more of these rare items, but entries are judged by the skill of the builder, not what materials they can afford.
    Yes, I will admit you have more options with more materials, but that definitely does not guarantee a win.
    You would be amazed what some people can create with just cheap items that are available to everyone.

Regarding toilets, yes there is one simple model (using 2 wedding alters) used by a ton of people.
    I don't regard that particular item as copying, mainly because most real toilets look pretty much the same so the further you get away from what a standard toilet looks like, the higher chance that visitors have no idea what it is. "Oh what a lovely......sculpture?"
    You still have the rest of the dimension to show off all your skills

Poly out

This set for the ship model is actually available as a set on dimensionaddicts.com as Zeamage kindly uploaded it for anyone to use
    Last edited by polynomia; 08-20-2017 at 07:49 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

While I might say the idea of breaking a contest into tiers has some validity and it's been done before, it boils down to resources, and how much you want to divide what you have, as one factor in why it's not more commonly done.

Just to be clear, Trion provides us (the DTC) things like mount codes, patron passes, pets and wardrobe items. REX prizes come out of pocket and through donations. Just speaking for myself, I prefer not to have to divide those REX prizes any more than necessary. Again, just speaking for myself, I want the people who win to feel like they actually won something through earning it, and I want them to receive prizes commensurate with the time and money they spent (items are cheap, but dimension upgrades are definitely not).

There is no such thing as a professional builder. I make jokes about the professional contestants who enter every contest but as a rule, their work is very, very good because they've been doing it for a while, and they go tour the builds of other people (which is important if you want to learn).

So far as improving goes, I recommend checking out the work of other people, just because of different perspectives one can gain by looking at how other people see the common objects we all have. There are also fansites, videos and more resources that can be looked at to give ideas on item usage or guides on how to use the addons if you wish to learn.

As far as event items go, I disagree that they're needed to make something feel complete. Yes, they're nice to have, but just about anything you can get from an event, you can also make for yourself. I would rather see someone be clever with an orange corked jug than merely place a hundred or so cups and plates that they farmed for during Carnival, but I would never tell that person they were wrong to use those items.

Going back to the amateur/pro builder thing again: looking back through contest threads, in the vast majority, the winners are those who came out of the blue, a brand new builder. The "pros" might win a prize, yes, but the first place prize is often to someone new. More, how do you determine as a judge what is amateur and what is "professional?" Using an addon? Using a different toilet?

Regarding originality: There a ton of items, but we all have access to the same stuff. Some items are commonly used for many things across all shards (such as the wedding altar toilet--I've used my version of it for years and see no reason to change, because I'd rather worry about other things in a build than the toilet). I don't see using that same type of toilet as copying.

Sites with shared sets like dimensionaddicts.com also provide pieces for others to use, given by those within the community, because it sucks to be starting out and seeing a bunch of neat stuff and having no idea how to make it for yourself.

When I've seen people take entire dimensions down to the last brick (stealing the entire idea, in other words), to rebuild them on a different shard and cluster, a commonly used toilet morph is really not that big a deal.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Having a lot of nice/event items do not make you a better builder, just someone that has played Rift for some years and always hoards the items him/her likes best.
    I am now, what you prolly would call a proff builder, but if you take a look at my dimensions (many others too) you will see that I do not use a lot of those "hard to get" or exspensive items. unless you count building blocks, those i did spend a fortune on, but everyone can do that if they want to.
    I did make a house out of 1200 fae yule gift boxes, but i didnt get those from being a pro, i got those asking EVERYONE i knew (and didnt know) if they could spare a few. Nothing is impossible.

And you can have all the nice stuff, and still build like a tool.

As for dividing the winners of a contest into several categories, NO, please don't. The first contest i entered was divided into 3 categories, I won first place in my category, wich i belive was for ppl that hadn´t entered a contest before, so in your terms, an amature.That was great, but not as great as my 4th place in "Cozy cottage 2".
    I kept wondering where i might actually would have been placed. And dividing it would mean less people to "compete" with, now where is the fun in that?? "yay i got first place, out of me and me and me"

And never feel that you are not good enough to enter a contest, you have to enter a contest because you like the theme, the challenge and would enjoy being a part of the whole thing, the community, the sharing and helping that goes on while people build their entry. Never enter just to win, just be proud of what you make and have fun.
    Last edited by Zeamage; 08-20-2017 at 06:36 AM. Reason: meh
    Hidden Gem By Zeamage@Gelidra

Default Just because it fits, Dont sits

Please don't put yourself in a box, and please don't put others in a box either. Because if you do..... you will always feel the walls as limitations.

cat jumping out of the box ---> https://media.giphy.com/media/hkC9qHkrrfdqE/giphy.gif

Instead, take some time to tour your works, think about how you have progressed as a builder and what sort of things you need to work on. Practice makes progress.

I know of a number of builders who do not use addons. That is a completely valid way of doing things, but with each update to tinkertools, it makes it that much easier to line things up, rotate/resize/pivot things right into place.

PIVOT ----> https://media.tenor.co/images/f3ed89...1069/tenor.gif

Personally, I find a lot of comfort in the numbers and tinkertools allows me to really get to the point of what I'm trying to create, rather than spending hours lining up angled walls at the corner so there isn't any flicker. If you can do that masterfully without an addon, bravo to you!

As for builds feeling complete and item count, I think that has to deal with the theme you are trying to convey In your build. For a summer party to show through, you might want a number of drinks/seats; but if its an intimate setting, not nearly as many items are needed.

To get the quantity of items needed from world events, you either have to work your tush off (for summerfest, I did daily dog showing and bug squishing on at least 12 toons, every day), work towards saving up enough plat in between world events so you can purchase off the ah, or find a way to trade items with a friend to get what you need. Getting items is not impossible, it just takes work!

Don't let others' works make you feel bad about your own.
    I've voiced my thoughts on this before --> New Year New You

Don't build just for a contest.
    A contest may give you a theme to work off of, but it should be the spark that it creates in your heart that is your real reason for building. If you build something from your heart, that you are truly proud of building, then it won't matter if you lose or win the contest, because you will have something that YOU created for yourself. It goes without saying that the people who visit your work will be able to see the love that you put into it.

Telaran

Thank you all for your response.

I did make the suggestment out of pure frustration - not being a super good builder as the builds ive seen when touring dimensions. However, I do disagree that you cant tell a pro-builder from an amature, just visit my entery to "Dinner is served" vs the Winner of that contest, and tell me if you cant tell a difference ? The Winner and enteries by the runner ups was "wow".

I will ofc still enter, as I have done once before, just cause I like the challange having to come up with new ideas, rethink them again and Again to the dimension is finshed. Ofc I wouldnt enter either if I didnt have any hope for a slight chance to win. Maybe im a hopeless dreamer, but that doesnt stop me from trying.

I couldnt agree more - winning a contest only compeeting with yourself, well where is the fun in that. And yes it would be almost impossible to devide the contest.

About amount of items, yes your right.
    About copying other ppl's Work, even if it shared for others to copy it, i guess im just too proud to do that, but maybe i should try it, cause darn a toilet design caused me a cpl of nightmares....

Good luck all and cya on the other side of the contest - perhaps we meet then touring

Edit: Sparklynn, I just read your reply. Just wanted to say thank you, and yes I will keep Building a setup the way i enjoy it the most. If its an upside or downside in regards to the competition, well that i cant tell, but i will have lots of fun doing it
    Last edited by Nirrana; 08-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Rift Disciple

Builders who have played longer and accumulated event items, affinity items, premium items, loyalty items, etc. will naturally have the advantage in some contests. I find I often spend more time accumulating items than actually building a dimension.

It might be nice to have a occasional contest limited to specific, readily available items, such as the items that can be fished up from treasure chests (excluding Stan's lure) and items purchased with Planarite, Void Stones and Celestial Remnants. That could level the playing field as far as item availability.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Zornar View Post
    Builders who have played longer and accumulated event items, affinity items, premium items, loyalty items, etc. will naturally have the advantage in some contests. I find I often spend more time accumulating items than actually building a dimension.

It might be nice to have a occasional contest limited to specific, readily available items, such as the items that can be fished up from treasure chests (excluding Stan's lure) and items purchased with Planarite, Void Stones and Celestial Remnants. That could level the playing field as far as item availability.
    Well... I'm probably not the only one who prefers morphed objects to putting a premade item in :-D mind you, I do it too, to save item count or because I'm too lazy, but a morph always has a "WOAH " effect :-D

But then again, morphing is done more by the more experienced builders, sooo...
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules" - NEW: Collab with Loveyttsab: "Cinderella" on Mules@Brutwacht!

Well, I certainly have accumulated a lot of stuff, i have 22 storage dimensions and 2 GB´s full of stuff. But all that really does for me, is give me a chance to share and help other dimmers in need, cuz i always get an idea where i need everything i don't have. Then the ppl i have helped, help me get what i need. And many ppl do give away or trade those "rare and expensive" items, i know i do. If i dont need it, take it
    It is just a matter of using your network, the dim channel, your guildies,( i know a lot of ppl that doesnt mind spending a bit of those newer currencies to help others out, and remember to help when others ask, ppl remember that
    Also, play both NA and EU, im normally on EU, but i have a toon on NA that collects everything there. I spend my affinity on either helping people i know there, or i buy glass, make money and then buy rex´s. Then i can get more stuff on EU. I have a few people i help out on NA, and they help me on EU.

And again i wanna point out that some of my best work is made out of the cheap and easy to get items...
    I think lack of items is just a poor excuse.
    Last edited by Zeamage; 08-21-2017 at 01:04 AM.
    Hidden Gem By Zeamage@Gelidra

There are plenty of good points made earlier by professional builders... :D But I'd like to add my two cents anyways.

First off, don't build to win. If you're entering a contest, make sure the theme is something you really want to work on. Example: I don't like spooky stuff and winter stuff. I've built a couple dims using these themes out of curiosity but it just isn't my thing. So I'll never enter a spooky/winterish contest just because the rewards are good. I'd rather go tour the entries when they open and see if my favorites won something, and then go back to building something I enjoy. Either way, don't build for rewards, or for a place, or for approval. Build for yourself.

Second, as far as "professional building" goes, there is no obvious way to define it. A player can have dozens of poorly made dimensions, or one-two brilliant ones, in both cases it's not "professional" so you can't judge by the amount of builds. A player can only work in a certain style, making their builds perfect, but should they go out of their building "comfort zone" you never know how it turns out. Some people simply can't do human/animal morphs but build amazing houses, and vice versa. So you can't define the professionalism by their style either. Then, a person may enter a dozen contests and never win anything (yes I'm talking about myself lol), or they can win with their first entry ever, so the amount of contests in their "history" isn't showing anything either. Lastly, addons aren't a sign of being professional or not. Addons simply help us build, they do not build for us. I've seen people build amazing things freehand, and I've seen dimensions entirely copied from public sets using an addon. You can't really say "if you're using an addon, you're better than me", not at all. Besides, there's so many ways to use them - for example, I suck in math, so I never even touch the whole "offset this count that" part, literally the only thing I do is copy/paste (can be done with ctrl+D) or rotate to 90\180 (can be done manually), very rarely I do something more complex, and it's usually with tons of mistakes, lots of cussing and re-working the same thing over and over again. Nothing professional about that lol.

If you want to improve (which I'm sure you're judging yourself too harsh but still), best way to do it is touring other dimensions. Tour your own shard, or make alts on other shards and tour one at a time, look at what people build, look for inspiration for your own dims by checking out other builds within the same theme - that helps a lot. DTC also has some incredibly helpful "how to" videos recorded from livestreams on basic dimension building and morphing here - they're more than worth checking out if you're already an experienced builder wishing to improve.

And most important thing: don't worry too much about who enters or wins a contest :) Competition is great but building what makes you happy is way better, because a dimension that you personally are proud of is worth more than a REX and a shiny mount.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

General of Telara

Thanks laeti, very good advice :-)

I still remember when I joined my current guild - containing mostly of people with amazing dimensions - I was very, very shy and thought I could never, ever, be up to par with them. But it inspired me, because I saw what COULD be done, I asked questions about stuff, got shown all the items, and they told me to rotate and flip everything, stick them in the ground etc so I could see other uses for them... then I toured about 200 dimensions, and then I started to build, I had an idea, and the general feeling that nothing is impossible, so I left the "I can never ve as good as..." behind. The outcome was my zoo, and I am still very, very proud of it. The second dim I built was a contest entry. I didn't win anything at all, but I am still very, very proud of it ;-) and not winning didn't stop me from entering contests, because they are freaking fun and you get a ton of visitors.

So, what is there to learn? Just do it. Don't get intimidated by great builds, but see the possibilities, then just try it yourself.

Ps: if you find mistakes you may keep them, I'm typing on my phone and can't really read it through properly again :-p

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

We all occasionally need a reminder not to be so critical. Of ourselves, of each other, of the developers, of contests ...

When we constantly second guess ourselves and our ideas we become our own worst enemies. When we always build for fun or for a new challenge, whether it's for a contest or not, we all win.

When we barely see other dimensions, we become disconnected from each other and our community weakens. When we choose which dimensions to visit based on cliques and prejudices, community spirit turns into egotism and our community suffers. When we always take time to freely visit and enjoy each other's work and ideas, we all win.

When we criticize contests, we are really criticizing the person sponsoring the contest. Why is it necessary to second guess what kind of contest somebody else wants to run? If you think another kind of contest is needed, run it. When we enter contests with themes and rules we like, simply skip the others, and enjoy the builds produced in every contest, we all win.

Winning doesn't have to be a fancy mount, a pocketful of REX, or a title. Winning can be the proud feeling of building something you love, completing the challenge of building a contest theme beyond your usual style, or simply a sincere compliment resulting in a smile. Whether or not the smile is on your face from a visitor's compliment, or on another builder's face from your compliment, we all win.

Discover my wacky dimensions tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel, Brutwacht, and Gelidra. Visit the
    Dimension Touring Co., an official RIFT™ fansite for dimensionerds and dimension lovers,
    at www.dimensiontouring.com. I would love to visit your dimensions, so please invite me!

Default Community

The DimensionAddicts community is always more than willing to help with items that you can't find (or afford) on the AHs. Many of us that have played for a few years - and horde - have storage dims keys overflowing and you would be doing them a favor by asking for items to build with.

Personally, I have entered four contests without any expectation of winning, because I don't do anything that wouldn't otherwise fit in the RP type of environment. You won't ever find a refrigerator in my kitchens, for instance.

I enter the contests to get some traffic. Everyone says build for yourself, which is true, But it is artwork and everyone wants their work to be seen. That is the main reason to enter.

Everyone copies something. It is ALL Trion's artwork to begin with , after all. So, therefore, it cannot be claimed as original just because you think you might be the first to face it that way or spin 40 of them together. Everyone comes up with new, cool ways stack their item list. Have fun!

If you need anything to make that build look just right, I'd be happy to hand it to you freely, if I have it to spare.

Guilds are also known to do just that. Specify items required in the build for the contest. Just keep looking here for Shard specific contests, they often are open to everyone if you have an alt on that shard.
    Last edited by Frappenguy; 08-23-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    Phineousfingers on Twitch - Phonybologna, Pintseyes, Oopsupside and Getchasome@Greybriar. Tourists on every PvE shard, NA and EU. Lots of free items available for the asking.
    All Public dimensions are on Greybriar; flagged (PBJ) *for Phonybologna's Junk.

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frappenguy View Post
    I enter the contests to get some traffic. Everyone says build for yourself, which is true, But it is artwork and everyone wants their work to be seen. That is the main reason to enter.

Everyone copies something. It is ALL Trion's artwork to begin with , after all. So, therefore, it cannot be claimed as original just because you think you might be the first to face it that way or spin 40 of them together. Everyone comes up with new, cool ways stack their item list. Have fun!
    @Frappenguy -- I agree with you about dimensions being artwork. Building for ourselves means we choose the theme, the style, and how we build. Building dimensions is such a social activity, even if the building process is done solely for our own enjoyment, most people want their works to be seen.

I feel differently about copying. Dimensions are artworks (you said so ) so we should respect our fellow builders enough to ask before directly copying complex morphs or big sections of work from their dimensions. It's simple respect, a matter of being polite. Using somebody else's idea without permission isn't considered ethical anywhere else. As a community, we should all enjoy treating each other ethically and respectfully.

If I ever get your permission to take a morph or design from your dimension, or if I use a shared set you create and upload to DA.com, I won't take credit for your idea. Whenever a visitor compliments it, I'll say it was made by Frappenguy. I've loved dimensions with no toilet in the bathroom, I can love one with a kitchen and no refrigerator.

Discover my wacky dimensions tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel, Brutwacht, and Gelidra. Visit the
    Dimension Touring Co., an official RIFT™ fansite for dimensionerds and dimension lovers,
    at www.dimensiontouring.com. I would love to visit your dimensions, so please invite me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast