+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dear Tinker Tools experts.... Mirror image?

Question Dear Tinker Tools experts.... Mirror image?

Hi TT experts,

I'm trying to build a structure where I want to mirror some oddly placed items across a certain axis. For example, I want to mirror this glass rectangle across the X axis (the pole), but I have no idea how to do it (or if it's even possible) in the addon. Suggestions?

Dear Tinker Tools experts.... Mirror image?-2017-07-14_191420.jpg
    Faeblight dimensions: Dragontail Pond, Pirlfealle Tower (temporarily offline for renovation)

General of Telara

Well, thing is that we can't actually mirror items, you can only exploit the symmetry of items to make it *appear* to be mirrored.
    I'm not really sure there can be a generic solution, because depending on shape, there is more than one way to make the geometry appear mirrored, but the texture may give away the fake in different ways. I can't tell you the math offhand either...
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 07-15-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Prophet of Telara

since you got an answer from THE tinker tools expert, no need for a comment about this from me

just one thing: I often find it easier to build stuff like that "on angle" and then rotate the whole thing to the angle I want. Maybe it would make this easier? but you've got such an odd angle, that it'll probably not help much... but it looks like it COULD be easier with the pole lying flat on the ground and then moving the whole thing to the point you want it.
    Last edited by Maegwynn; 07-15-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Thanks for weighing in, Lynx3d. I figured it wouldn't be as easy as I'd hoped.

Maegwynn, your idea sounds like a step in the right direction at least. Luckily, the pole acting as the axis was placed off only on one angle (about 70 degrees pitch), so I'm going to move it to 90 degrees and try to flip the glass panel across a single axis, then move the whole thing as you suggest. Unfortunately, the way I have all the pieces fitting together, I have to manually place one side of the structure to ensure fit before doing the 90-and-back... But this should save a lot of manual labor just refitting individual pieces into the other half.

(P.S. I'll never work with triangles again....)
    Faeblight dimensions: Dragontail Pond, Pirlfealle Tower (temporarily offline for renovation)

Something occurred to me. I really like relative rotation plus grouping in Tinker Tools, which has helped immensely in some of the annoying parts of my build, but what if there was an option to choose an object as a rotational pivot, and move everything attached to that object? Like I want to move the pole's pitch from 90 degrees to 70 and then everything selected to follow it? Remotely possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Quna View Post
    ... Like I want to move the pole's pitch from 90 degrees to 70 and then everything selected to follow it? Remotely possible?
    The key thing to remember is that the vector (x,y,z) coordinate is relative to the fixed anchor of the object. The object's vectors never change, regardless of the angle or space it currently occupies.

Building blocks are easier to "mirror" since they are the only objects with any symmetry, provided they have no pattern. Copy and paste, with 180* in the correct axis will do what you want often. But is also often foiled by the fixed item anchor when trying to copy complex morphs. In that case there is no way around actually literally doing the math.

It looks like you are building it on axis with the key (no offset when you place a new item) so that is also very helpful and if it cannot be done save the things you want to copy as a set, take it to empty dim key and build your mirrors on axis then save those sets.
    Phineousfingers on Twitch - Phonybologna, Pintseyes, Oopsupside and Getchasome@Greybriar. Tourists on every PvE shard, NA and EU. Lots of free items available for the asking.
    All Public dimensions are on Greybriar; flagged (PBJ) *for Phonybologna's Junk.

+ Reply to Thread