• 3 Post By Agrona77
  • 1 Post By Frappenguy
  • 2 Post By Laeti
  • 2 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 2 Post By Zillaan

Thread: Wondering

Default Wondering

i have a lot a lot of stuff, i have created storage dim on saraphim, i counted them all up 6 of them plus 2 full banks.

might have to hold a fire sale on stuff i dont us just a thought but still finding out how i would do it yet.

Does anyone else have this issue.?

LOL yup, I have 6 or 7 warehouses, plus 2 storage alts... (my 3 "main" characters also each have a warehouse).

I tried to organize stuff, but still have warehouses filled with a mix of items.

One of my storage alts has a warehouse for:
    Landscaping items
    Large items (walls and buildings and elevators)
    Decoration items

And lately I've been using my storage alts Anywhere dim to just dump items I've fished up, or use it as a staging area for items I need for a specific build.

Plus, all her inventory bags are full of building blocks. I've created another storage alt to hold all the new building blocks we get from minions. LOL

And I STILL find myself looking at the AH for Dim items... what gives? ugh LOLOL

Default Try sharing with roommates

In our household of 3 adult patrons; We have a guild with 5 bank tabs and a half-dozen toons that, between them, have 30+ storage dims all fairly full and sorted into separate dim keys similar to the item list categories.

We also have a second guild with five tabs for crafting and only buy up build dims to level 5. Storage never goes past 4. For the price I'd sooner start a new key.

On Greybriar
    Also, have mules from pre-cross-shard-trading scattered about every single with more stuff, too.

Not to mention the stuff that accumulates on EU and goes right to the AH.

There's already a rather long and informative thread about this, I can't find it now but you could try if you're interested (dimensions, storage space).

In short, there's three major things that help you keep your stuff in order without getting swamped:

1. Always make storage dimensions on alts that you're not planning to use for building (I only build on main, but use my alts' dimensions for the projects, however I also have 1 alt that was made specifically for storage purposes). The easiest way is to make the alt, then send enough keys that can be upgraded to at least 700-900 items, and send the plat to buy the slots. If you already have two free slots - it's even better. You don't need to upgrade the dims to max, tier 4 is enough and also cheap. Organize them by types you see fit.

2. Never store bulk items in dims, use the banks instead.
    For convenience purposes, it's always best to have your building toon (the one you usually use to build stuff) have their own guild vaults. If not - again, use an alt. You can also use your personal vault and shared vault. Items like building blocks (now stackable to 999) and any other items you have in large amounts (for me it's, for example, building modules, certain plants and trees, lights etc) - they all belong in bank. Think about even 99 item slots in a 900 items dim vs one single bank slot for all these items. It saves you time and room. Items that you only have a few of, or single items - they all go to storage dims.

3. Go through your items and think about what you really need (or might need for a future project), and what you're only keeping for the sake of keeping. Don't store items you're never going to use. Even if you need one or two at some point - you can always buy, trade or find it in a TapLap. Example: I know for sure I'd pretty much never use death themed items and, I dunno, creepy\gross stuff. There's also a whole bunch of stuff that I would only need, like, once - snowy stuff, certain building blocks, etc - and that's all also available in the AH and TapLaps. So I just don't keep this stuff around, instead I'd drop it off in a TapLap for someone who could put them to use. I know how nice it feels to have everything, but honestly you'll never need all of those items, so just think of what you actually need (at least for the next few months), and what you're definitely not going to use anytime soon and give it away (or sell, or trade). I sometimes brush through my storages and get rid of all the stuff that's been sitting there for many months. It makes so much room! :D
    Last edited by Laeti; 06-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

All of these are good suggestions and ideas. If you ask 10 people about storage, you'll get 10 different answers, because every person has to do what's best for them.

My solution has been guild banks. I have 3 with 5 tabs, and 1 with 3 tabs. I have a fifth alt guild for storing old crafting mats and other stuff--no dim items allowed there! Now that multiple signatures are not required to create a guild, that solution has worked well for me.

The downside of guild banks is the initial plat outlay, which is pretty significant for the fourth and fifth tabs. However, I currently build on 10 characters on GB. 2 of those are at 20/20, another is at 18/20 and the others range from 10 down to 2 dimensions each. I'm not willing to spare the available dimension slots for storage dimensions. The only slot I keep that's not for building is my testing dimension. I used to maintain a bunch of storage dimensions, but I could never keep them up, I could never find anything, and maintenance of the system felt more like a job than my actual job.

The vast majority of building blocks are on one character, with the glowing and blinking stuck in the vault of another alt. Now that blocks stack to 999 (which honestly is what should happen for every dimension item that's not interactive) this is much easier. There is one character that I have all available bank slots on--and that one character is not my main, it's my builder. Keep in mind that I didn't spend the outlay for those bank slots all at once, they were added over time.

For myself, guild banks and alt vaults are easier for me to keep organized as well. I know that the stuff I use the most and most commonly is on my main builder, keys and magitech are kept on a different character, and miscellaneous other stuff that I use only rarely is kept on other characters. Overflow of things I have more than 99 or 999 of but use are shipped out to a different alt.

As Laeti said, the stuff you know you're not ever going to use can be tossed in a TAPLAP, that's what they're there for. And with some things, such as those keys to Faen's Retreat and Hailol that minions keep bringing back, I just vendor toss them.

A note about keys, which don't stack. If you only have 6 character slots unlocked, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to keep 20 copies of Stone Flask sitting in the bank taking up 20 spaces--especially if you don't like Stone Flask that much and may only use it once or twice. I keep no more than 8 copies of any key, and I've become much more choosy about which keys I actually buy or collect.

What it boils down to is that you have to do what works for you, regardless of how anyone else handles their item management. If having a fire sale is a way for you to manage your storage, I'm sure you'd get some takers if you threw out a call in DA.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Heh the reason why I don't keep more than one guild vault for dim items (even though my main - the guild leader - has 3 tabs solely for dim stuff all to herself) is because I'm just too lazy to keep logging different toons whenever I need something (especially when I don't know what I might need, or just need like 1 thing right here and right now). Having storage dims for this purpose just makes it easier for me since I can access them from any toon in 2 seconds.

But then yeah, organizing them (and when I say organizing, it means, like, getting stuff out of the way so I don't get stuck in a pumpkin when I zone in) is a pita, and I need to be very careful of what kinds of items I leave in certain dims, so that no "wrong" item makes its way into a dim it doesn't belong to - sometimes I end up with same items in different dims, and it makes collecting the stuff for a build annoying as hell :)

So yes, it's definitely up to every person how to organize your stuff, exchanging ideas is just a way to share experience and see if there's anything else out there that works for you :)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Some good ideas here. I think personally I am about half and half - dim storage and guild vaults. I am starting to lean a little more towards storage in banks versus dims lately, mostly because it can sometimes be difficult to sort in a dim - and physical space becomes an issue. Also, with my museum becoming more complete, I find it less necessary to "see" the items in storage.
    Much like Feendish said, I am finding I want to keep my coveted Dim slots for building. The main advantage to Dim storage is access to all of your alts, but i am finding i am more and more using just one toon to build with. (Yup - Zillox does the building, Zillaan gets the glory - lol)
    While we are talking about "tips", one thing I have been doing lately is having what I call a "work area" dim. I can build morphs (and entire structures) in this dim ON AXIS, and then use Tinker Tools to transfer the set to the actual build, rotating as necessary. This has sure made building with 90 degree corners and such so much easier.
    But alas, we all end up storing items we probably will never use - and as painful as it is (i believe all Dimmers are closet hoarders) we must occasionally clean up
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

+ Reply to Thread