+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Blythe
  • 3 Post By Lynx3d
  • 1 Post By Blythe
  • 3 Post By Egbert

Thread: Dim Entry rendering

Default Dim Entry rendering

I know it is a common problem..placing an entry point above ground and falling upon entry.

My question: Is there is an item that reliably renders first, so it can be hidden under the Dim entry point item? (I've tried invis squares and spheres and, they don't work 100%)

ps- fwiw, zoning in from Tempest Bay I enter 99% of the time correctly. Zoning in from Sanctum, I fall 99% of the time. Not that this helps to know but...I found it curious. lol
    Blythe & Iko - Vigil - Rooted Hideaway - Waterfalls Pub
    Blythe - Faeblight

General of Telara

Well Tacitus tried to make it render first (it is solid like an invisible tile after all), but I noticed that in the guild dim from the treehouse contest I already fall when the item count still says -1/0, so the client doesn't even have the info yet what it needs to render.

I'm pretty sure it needs a different approach, like keeping you from moving not only until the zone is loaded but until your client actually downloaded all the item list and had a chance to load the entry point collision data.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Well Tacitus tried to make it render first (it is solid like an invisible tile after all), but I noticed that in the guild dim from the treehouse contest I already fall when the item count still says -1/0, so the client doesn't even have the info yet what it needs to render.

I'm pretty sure it needs a different approach, like keeping you from moving not only until the zone is loaded but until your client actually downloaded all the item list and had a chance to load the entry point collision data.
    Very helpful, thank you!

Well..probably better to scrap what I started and move to a key where I can use the original ground point since it will be for the CC3 contest. (which is a bummer...I had Ovog Shrine unrecognizable! Well...until you fell and hit the ground and were in the middle of it, then it was easy to recognize...heh)
    Last edited by Blythe; 06-20-2017 at 01:10 PM.
    Blythe & Iko - Vigil - Rooted Hideaway - Waterfalls Pub
    Blythe - Faeblight

General of Telara

How high above Ovog Shire were you building?
    To my knowledge, it is safe to put the entry point on any solid part of the base dimension, like the top of a building or even a tree as long as you won't slip off the branch.
    In contrast to Khort, I don't really see anything around that is higher than the building of Ovog Shrine, but Feendish managed to even hide the balloons in Khort ^^
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

I've noticed an improvement when zoning into my Ardenburgh dim, but at least once a week or so, I get a notice from someone that despite the invisible tiles and even the REGULAR tiles hidden just under the floor of the Sanctuary of Rebirth, players still fall through it.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Devs, can you PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP simply delay spawning our characters into a dimension until all the items in that dimension have had time to render?! This really cannot be a difficult fix, can it? We won't mind a few more seconds staring at the load screen, we promise!
    Last edited by Egbert; 06-30-2017 at 03:09 PM.

I'm not really trying to provide a definitive answer for the devs, but I imagine it isn't a simple fix.

Due to the nature of the web itself and the vast majority of connection types and causes of packet loss or other delays, I would imagine that determining the sweet spot to delay a character from loading could be challenging.

I don't know if the game has the resources to monitor when the last item loads in order to start loading the character who is attempting to enter. I also don't know what factors might impact tracking such a thing when multiple characters are entering, etc.

It will be interesting to know what they think. Maybe I'm completely wrong.
    Last edited by bridgestew; 07-02-2017 at 04:28 AM.
    Dimensions on Faeblight
    Out of Bounds | Zea`Lynn the Emerald Feend | Matter of Life & Death

Quote Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
    Devs, can you PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR ON TOP simply delay spawning our characters into a dimension until all the items in that dimension have had time to render?! This really cannot be a difficult fix, can it? We won't mind a few more seconds staring at the load screen, we promise!
    I was just about to write the exact same thing.
    Although I am not completely sure it would work, unless the rendering of placed items starts before the character actually enters the dimension.

+ Reply to Thread