+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Contest: Cozy Cottages 3!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Contest: Cozy Cottages 3!

Contest:  Cozy Cottages 3!-2017-06-15_182704.jpg
    Knock, Knock, by Culler@Brutwacht. 1st Place Winner of Cozy Cottages 2.

It’s that time again! The DTC is proud to present Cozy Cottages 3!

The Challenge:

We all know we can build whatever we want in our dimensions, but at their heart, they’re player housing. The challenge is to build a house to call home. The house doesn’t have to be for your character, you can build it for anyone/thing you choose.

Dates:

This contest is open for entries from now (15 June) until 12:00 PM (Noon) PDT on Friday, 01 September. The winning entries will be announced no later than 12:00 PDT on Friday, 08 September. Entries posted after the closing time of 12:00 PM on 01 September will not be accepted and will not be scored.

Here is a link to a time zone converter.

The Prizes:

1st Place: 7 REX and a Primal Khadlig Mount (thanks Mobi, CMMorgana and Brasse!)

2nd Place: 5 REX and a Primal Khadlig Mount

3rd Place: 3 REX and a Primal Khadlig Mount

In addition to the above prizes, there will also be a Judge’s Choice Award per judge, for 1 REX each.

The Rules:

This contest is open to all shards, NA and EU.

This contest is for personal dimensions only. Guild dimensions will not be accepted.

There is no dimension key off limits for this contest, and there is no item limit. However, in the spirit of the morphing aspect of the contest, entries should not make use of the pre-existing buildings in some dimension keys (Stone Flask Tavern, Deepwood Cottage, Three Springs, etc.) for the house in their entry. Entries that utilize existing buildings as their entered house will be disqualified. Here is a full list of dimension keys.

This contest is for new builds only. Recycled dimension keys may be used, so long as the build itself is new.

Collaborative entries will not be accepted.

Entries must remain closed until the end date and time of 12:00 PM PDT, Friday, 01 September 2017. I understand that real life happens. If you need to open early, send me a notification through a PM, an in-game tell, or through the Feedback feature of the DTC Website.

Entries must open no later than 12:00 PM PDT, Friday, 01 September, 2017, and must remain open throughout the judging period. Any dimension not open by 12:00 PM PDT on Saturday, 02 September will be disqualified.

The use of addons (Toolbox, Tinker Tools, Dimension Tools) is permitted. However, the use of shared sets from dimensionaddicts.com or via some other source is prohibited. Entries that contain shared sets will be disqualified.

Entries that contain egregious copies of others’ work—with permission or not—will be disqualified.

One entry per person.

Dimension Entry Points and PvP join banners and start points ARE allowed if you choose to use them to save on items.

Interior-only builds will be accepted, however, they may not score as highly as a fully built house with an exterior and interior.

Jete’s Bouncemaster should not be required to tour your entry, and no judge will use one when touring entry dimensions.

BONUS POINTS ARE IN EFFECT FOR THIS CONTEST! There can be a bonus of up to two points if your house is part of a transformation (making a base dimension unrecognizable). Two points can be the difference between first place and not placing, given historical data for previous iterations of this contest.

What do I mean by a transformation?

Contest:  Cozy Cottages 3!-2017-06-15_184053.jpg
    Endless Eclipse, in all it's hideous glory.

Contest:  Cozy Cottages 3!-2017-06-15_184317.jpg
    Endless Eclipse, 99.999% transformed. Autumn Lodge, by Whatchacallit@Greybriar.

Keep in mind you do not have to use EE, it was a convenient example for this post. Bonus points are awarded in percentages, based on the amount of coverage of the base dimension.

This contest has the following limitations/restrictions:

NO pre-made doors, walls, windows, floor tiles, roofing, window frames, and door frames may be used in the construction or furnishing of the entered house.

Exceptions: Carpet tiles, corner posts and stairs may be used.

Bottom line up front, if the item is listed in the store under building modules, it is not permitted for use unless the item was already listed as an exception. Gloamwood Walls, Snowy Walls, etc, are permitted (those are listed under Barriers, not Building Modules).

Entire premade buildings are NOT permitted for use. This includes houses, inns, and mausoleums.

THE INTERACTIVE DOORS AND WINDOWS ARE NOT PERMITTED FOR USE.

Judging Criteria:

Quality of Construction (10 points possible, per judge): Unless intentional, gaps, flicker and mismatches should be avoided. This is for the technical quality of your housing structure.

Transformative Value (2 points possible, in total): How much of the base dimension is showing? The more a dimension is covered, the more incremental points can be awarded. Be aware that the transformation should be done in such a way that the judges can't break through it. These are bonus points. You do not have to enter a transformation, unless you choose to do so.

Proportions (10 points possible, per judge): Proportions should be consistent throughout the entered house, to include the structure in addition to the furnishings. Proportions do not have to be scaled to a particular character, but there are more points given the more consistent the proportions are through the entire house.

Attention to Detail – Small Item Morphing (10 points possible, per judge): Are there knobs, curtain rods, door tracks, hinges, and other sorts of basic hardware? Are the books floating on the tables? Is the furniture morphed, or is it a premade bench? The more items that are morphed, the more points it is possible to get, as this is a morph-driven contest, starting with the structure of the house itself.

Originality of item usage (10 points possible, per judge): If I walk into an entry and ask myself “Why didn’t I ever think of that?” the usage was original and clever. Were atypical materials used in the construction of the house, or in the furnishings, and is the house unique in overall appearance? The items used don’t have to be new, but the morphs should attempt to be innovative. Even basic building blocks can be used in innovative, original ways.

Theme Cohesion (10 points possible, per judge): Does the house match the environment it’s been created for? Is the landscaping appropriate to the house? Is the house complete, meaning a kitchen, a bathroom, a bedroom, etc? Does the furniture match the context of the house? For example, a Victorian built in the desert with ultra-modern minimalist furniture and a shower on full blast but no electricity and a wood-burning stove doesn’t gel.

Aesthetic appeal (10 points possible, per judge): This is the most subjective of the judging categories. We are not here to nitpick themes and concepts, so aesthetic appeal doesn’t necessarily mean pretty. It does mean that the build should flow together, and look like it belongs where it’s been placed.

NOTE: All judges will tour entries on the highest possible settings, to ensure that fine detail and VFX are fully visible.

To Enter:

Entries must be submitted no later than 12:00 PM PDT on Friday, 01 September 2017. No entry will be accepted or considered after that time. All entries must have the following information:

Name (please annotate if there is a primary character that you would like us to communicate with instead)

Shard

Dimension Name

You may include a brief synopsis or story about your entry if you wish, but it is not necessary.

All entries must be submitted to this thread.

Entries submitted through a PM over the forums, through in-game mail or via the Feedback feature of the DTC will not be accepted. However, if you have a question that you are not comfortable with posting to the forums, please ask me via the above- mentioned methods, so I can do my best to answer.

To reach me in-game with questions, I can generally be found on the following: Baradara@Greybriar, Whatchacallit@Greybriar, Baradara@Zaviel, and Feendish@Zaviel.

Happy Building!
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-23-2017 at 02:30 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel
    The Dimension Touring Company: Dimension Tours - Building Tips
    Tips 'n Tricks Live! Saturdays @ 1100 AM NA Server

ENTRY THREAD:

EU:

TYPHIRIA:

Name: Coocla (Loveyttsab)
    Dimension name: MEMORY
    Shard: Typhiria

Name DarkDominion
    Dimension Name: Summer vacation home.

Main character: Thezene (contact)
    Dimension build via alt: Grimmsie
    Shard: Typhiria EU
    Dim name: (not yet decided)

BRISESOL

Character Name: Lačris (main Shaarlys)
    Shard: Brisesol
    Dimension: Isle

GELIDRA

Name Shortyface
    Shard Gelidra
    Dimension Name Vampire's Lair

Shallow
    Gelidra
    name: tba

ZAVIEL

Character name: Tinderal
    Shard: Zaviel
    Dimension Name: Boondocks

NA:

FAEBLIGHT:

Name: Blythe
    Shard: Faeblight
    Dim Name: FAE-rie Tale Cottage

Name: Morrganna
    Dimension name: My Dream Log Home
    Shard:Feablight

Name: Raynastar
    Dim Name: TBD

DEEPWOOD:

Character Name: Zillaan
    Shard: Deepwood
    Dimension: (To be announced)

Roadkillpanda (Faragon)
    Server-Deepwood NA
    Key-Karthan Ponds
    Name-Among the Stars

LAETHYS:

Character Name: Grynx (Marnth)
    Shard: Laethys
    Dimension: Aunt Fannie's

Name : Dabasya
    Shard : Laethys
    Dimension name : My dream house

HAILOL:

Name: Gothess
    Dim Name: Viking Outpost
    Shard: Hailol
    Last edited by Feendish; 07-09-2017 at 03:37 AM.

So excited!

And...first with a question lol.

Rules state: if the item is listed in the store under building modules, it is not permitted for use unless the item was already listed as an exception

Does this also include not using them as part of a morph? Or..not as they were intended? For example...using a sandstone tile floor shrunken down as a counter top or, a pre-made door shrunken as small kitchen cabinet door? (I'm guessing these would be what you meant by furnishing the house but..wanted to be sure of my options before I discounted anything)
    Last edited by BlytheElf; 06-15-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Dims by Blythe@FB: Heat Miser & Snow Miser - Margaritaville - Winter's Garden - RP Rustic Pub - Weekend Log Cabin - Brasse Beards 'n Ale - Starry, Kelari Sands

Quote Originally Posted by BlytheElf View Post
    So excited!

And...first with a question lol.

Rules state: if the item is listed in the store under building modules, it is not permitted for use unless the item was already listed as an exception

Does this also include not using them as part of a morph? Or..not as they were intended? For example...using a sandstone tile floor shrunken down as a counter top or, a pre-made door shrunken as small kitchen cabinet door? (I'm guessing these would be what you meant by furnishing the house but..wanted to be sure of my options before I discounted anything)
    Not even as part of a morph. I've allowed the premade pieces in previous years as part of a morph, but that bit seemed like it caused a lot of confusion, so this year it's just gone entirely to simplify things.

Rift Disciple

Woohoo! Sounds super exciting and I really like the bonus points for transformations. I think it provides a unique challenge in not only full out landscaping but also in balancing item count for outside as well as leaving enough leg room to build an awesome house. I haven't participated in the last two, but hopefully this year I can build something awesome ^.^ Looking forwards to seeing some more epic builds no matter what though
    Dimensions on Hailol

Zen Sanctuary~Phantom Hollow~Snow Blossom Valley~Willowspring Garden~Rise of the Snow Queen~Aurora Castle~Pixie's Hollow~Midnight Mysteries~Northpine Village (NEW) by Wintercharm and alts

Yay! I love this contest series and I'll definitely enter (but that's later since I need to finalize my theme in my head lol). I so wish the dim transformation was in place last year since that was the entire point of my entry back then! But that just gives me a reason to come up with something even better. Thank you for running this one again, it's one of my favorites - and best of luck to all who enter, can't wait to see all the builds!

Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    RIFT360° <3
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Not even as part of a morph. I've allowed the premade pieces in previous years as part of a morph, but that bit seemed like it caused a lot of confusion, so this year it's just gone entirely to simplify things.
    Thanks for the swift answer, and clear response! Wow...this will be challenging but OH so much FUN!

I know exactly what I want to build...I have a name for it ..now, to make it happen!

Officially entering as..

I got hooked last year with CC2 (being my first build)...you rock Feendish, thanks for challenging us!!
    Last edited by BlytheElf; 06-15-2017 at 08:03 PM.
    Dims by Blythe@FB: Heat Miser & Snow Miser - Margaritaville - Winter's Garden - RP Rustic Pub - Weekend Log Cabin - Brasse Beards 'n Ale - Starry, Kelari Sands

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Nice one! Very generous always, good luck all and thanks so much for sharing on Rift Community Discord.

Rift and Atlas Reactor Rift Rask Pet Cross Over Get ALL Freelancers for 7 Days with my "Recruit-A-Friend" Code Atlas Reactor

Quote Originally Posted by BlytheElf View Post
    Thanks for the swift answer, and clear response! Wow...this will be challenging but OH so much FUN!

I know exactly what I want to build...I have a name for it ..now, to make it happen!

Officially entering as..

I got hooked last year with CC2 (being my first build)...you rock Feendish, thanks for challenging us!!
    Thank you for the entry!

I havent decided how to name it yet. Will update it when I do - lol
    Thanks again Feendish for running this contest - perfect timing as I literally just began this new house build.
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post

I havent decided how to name it yet. Will update it when I do - lol
    Thanks again Feendish for running this contest - perfect timing as I literally just began this new house build.
    Thank you for the entry!

Rift Chaser

Thank you so much for this contest!
    New Dims: Doodles Gone Wild, The Old Daly Place, Andy, Key Marnth @Laethys

Quote Originally Posted by Marnth View Post
    Thank you so much for this contest!
    Thank you for the entry!

Default woo hoo ...yey!!!

Sweeeeet!!!! How cool is this contest!! Thank you Feendish!!!

In memory of my amazing grandma <3

Quote Originally Posted by Loveyttsab View Post
    Sweeeeet!!!! How cool is this contest!! Thank you Feendish!!!

In memory of my amazing grandma <3
    Thank you for your entry!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast