• 2 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Maegwynn
  • 1 Post By Blythe
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Tips 'n Tricks Live!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Tips 'n Tricks Live!

Hello again!

This Saturday, 02 JUN, please join us for Tips 'n Tricks Live.

This week, we're talking about contest building--a topic pretty near and dear to my heart. We'll be going over common mistakes, easy fixes, and ways to make your dimension better from a technical aspect--which is where a LOT of the judging takes place.

Some of the common mistakes we'll be talking about: flicker, floaters, gaps, bad alignment, BAD STAIRS, entry point placement, terrain paint malfunctions, environmental holes, proportioning, and whether or not an add-on really does give an advantage.

As always, we'll be starting at 11:00 AM PDT. Here's a time zone converter for your neck of the woods.

Hope to see you there!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Plane Walker

Looking forward to this.
    Silence, there are times when it speaks volumes.

Hoping I'll be back home in time! I would LOVE to hear what goes through your head for contests, Feendish!!
    Blythe & Iko - Vigil - Rooted Hideaway - Waterfalls Pub
    Blythe - Faeblight

Plane Walker

Feendish, I just want to thank you for being up front with us on the show. I now have a better understanding how not only you but others judges look at a contest build. The information you gave is so helpful, Thank you
    Silence, there are times when it speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnth View Post
    Feendish, I just want to thank you for being up front with us on the show. I now have a better understanding how not only you but others judges look at a contest build. The information you gave is so helpful, Thank you
    Thank you. As I've said, my intention is not that people should be intimidated by what I put out on the stream.

I and other sponsors (I don't know how they judge, I can't speak for them, but in this, I think it may be okay), are paying real money out of pocket. I, for one, want people to feel like they earned their prizes. Second, I believe there has to be some kind of standard. A build I might personally like should not win over one that is technically far superior. That's why we have judge's choice awards.

Simply picking the one I like best is NOT fair. It sucks that the fairest way is to count points based on flaws, but there it is.

If people build what they like first within the parameters of any contest, take the time to check out the build thoroughly and fix the things that are obvious like flickers, gaps and landscaping that's poking through the walls, half the battle is already won. I can't stress enough that entrants should build what they want to build so long as it falls within the guidelines and criteria.

Everyone wants to win, but entering with the expectation of winning is a good way for someone to set themselves up for frustration and disappointment.

My best advice (sorry for the wall of text), is this: If you want to see what a winning dimension looks like, check out the winners of past contests in person, and see what they had in common.

Here's the thread with contest archives.

Baradara@Greybriar

Prophet of Telara

Oh no I didn't see this thread yesterday, and I would have had time :-(

Well I'll watch it on youtube then :-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

This was such an informative and helpful stream Feendish..thank you!!

I do have one question in regards to judging something particular: windows.

Some builders use the glass blocks, while others choose to leave them "empty" (framed, with panes and such of course)

In a contest...would an "empty" window score lower than one with glass? Or..would you just consider it a style choice?

I've used glass, but find myself really liking the look of the "empty" windows..and for sure I will build a cozy cottage..so thought I'd ask

ps - I was about 10 minutes late to the stream, so if you talked about this already, apologies! lol
    Last edited by Blythe; 06-04-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Blythe & Iko - Vigil - Rooted Hideaway - Waterfalls Pub
    Blythe - Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by BlytheElf View Post
    This was such an informative and helpful stream Feendish..thank you!!

I do have one question in regards to judging something particular: windows.

Some builders use the glass blocks, while others choose to leave them "empty" (framed, with panes and such of course)

In a contest...would an "empty" window score lower than one with glass? Or..would you just consider it a style choice?

I've used glass, but find myself really liking the look of the "empty" windows..and for sure I will build a cozy cottage..so thought I'd ask

ps - I was about 10 minutes late to the stream, so if you talked about this already, apologies! lol
    I didn't mention it, as a matter of fact. When I build, 9 times out of 10, I generally don't use glass panes, even though I farmed them until my fingers fell off during the event last year, just because I like the way they look better without the glass. With that, it's a matter of personal preference for the builder, and will make no difference either way for me.
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-04-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread