+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Yayinde
  • 1 Post By Lynx3d

Thread: Did they change how far you can see in Dims?

Default Did they change how far you can see in Dims?

I came back to the game from a short break for school and noticed my Dimension is acting strange. I used to be able to see all the objects on one side of my Dim from the other but now I cannot. I checked my settings and everything is turned up but still stuff is disappearing at a much shorter range than before. I know rift has gone through some changes to it's graphics is there some new setting I'm missing or is this just how it is now?

This "problem" varies considerably from dim to dim. Castle Fortune for example, i can see the entire dim from one vantage point. Mathosian Cascade is really bad for short draw distance, which is a shame since it is a nice large dim. Lately, i have been having problems in Anywhere.
    The whole "draw distance issue" is even more a problem since 4.1, with all the new extra large items.
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

All my problems went away when I switched back to the 32-bit client so I'm guessing it was something weird with the 64-bit version. One would think the 64-bit version would look better but once I switched back to 32 I realized it didn't.

Thats interesting
    I am not sure i know how to switch...
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

Default oh no!!!

I just popped into my fae yule train dim (kestrel's cry on Spark) and when I looked up you couldn't see Greatfather frost's sleigh at ALL The dimension was set up so you could see the sleigh upon arrival, to showcase that brilliant moon from the autumen harvest moon projector.)

I really hope they fix this because this has me a bit heartbroken.

I have not changed any of my settings, so this should not be different than it used to be.
    Last edited by Sparklynn; 05-03-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Any chance we can get a Dev comment on this issue?
    I have a couple builds that are on hold, or will have to potentially scrapped it there are no plans to fix this
    thanks

General of Telara

Well I did annoy Tacitus with plenty of questions on Discord ^^

Basically, things are as usually a bit more complicated than you'd wish. Dimension items are basically divided in various internal categories with different render properties, and with the amount of items there are, changing them individually is not really feasible outside of some special cases (like the Cloud Layer that is now visible over a much greater distance since a recent hotfix, thanks again for that).

There's also a property attached to dimension zones that influences draw distance of almost everything. Bumping that on the other hand has rather unpredictable effects on performance and stability though. So, Tacitus made an experiment and cranked it way up ("about 500%" IIRC) with the last PTS update, so feel free to have a look at this thread and share your results.

But even with the "zone" ranges cranked up, from my observations so far some effects still seem to follow special rules, and not all items seem to have the increase in distance.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 05-13-2017 at 09:05 PM.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Thank you for the explanation. I read the thread you suggested and it sounds encouraging. This change seems like it would at least fix the bulk of the problems. It would then seem possible that if certain specific items were still "acting up" and are used by a lot of players, they could be fixed individually.
    Most commonly, i have problems with large rocks not rendering soon enough, or items behind them rendering first. For example, when creating a twisting chasm for a visitor to follow, sometimes you are looking at an empty field, until you move forward to find a rock wall suddenly appear. I am thinking what is being tested on the PTS will fix these kinds of issues.
    Thanks to the team for addressing this.

+ Reply to Thread