• 6 Post By Maegwynn
  • 4 Post By Laeti
  • 2 Post By bridgestew
  • 6 Post By Nouvae
  • 4 Post By Ralitza
  • 3 Post By Salvatrix
  • 2 Post By Anaemeah
  • 2 Post By Jaedor

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why is there no Communication concerning the New Cross Shard Dimension Lists?

Plane Walker

Default Why is there no Communication concerning the New Cross Shard Dimension Lists?

I am simply not understanding why no one from Trion is communicating with us on this matter.
    To avoid any misunderstands I have expressed my concerns on the Lists by PM. I have asked questions both yesterday in the forum thread "Dims Not Showing" and also through PM prior to that. No response.
    I have seen two different Live streams with several questions asked on this matter go unacknowledged.

Where is the communication. These lists affect our community.

So I am asking here.
    The All Time List:
    Is there a reason why we can't have both a cross shard All Time List and the individual shards All Time List.?

The Weekly List:
    It appears the weekly list is being updated weekly instead of the old way. Does that mean new dims open or even old dims receiving a plus after the update will have to wait a week to appear on the weekly?

I don't know who is in charge of these lists. You have given us a limited number of dims to tour by discontinuing the individual shard All Time List (unless we know what we are looking for and what shard ) And now you have limited us from looking at dims that would normally be on the Weekly List.

I am now going to express my personal concerns on this. I feel the way things stand now could discourage new builders. To attain 80 pluses (which will change) to appear on the new All Time List is difficult at present now add in the fact they will have to wait for it to appear on the new Weekly List, throw in the fact you now don't know what shard they are on plus the shard all time list is gone. How do we find them or the other dims below 80 plus? Yes another question.

Hopefully we will get some communication soon.
    Thanks for reading this
    Silence, there are times when it speaks volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marnth View Post
    I am simply not understanding why no one from Trion is communicating with us on this matter.
    To avoid any misunderstands I have expressed my concerns on the Lists by PM. I have asked questions both yesterday in the forum thread "Dims Not Showing" and also through PM prior to that. No response.
    I have seen two different Live streams with several questions asked on this matter go unacknowledged.

Where is the communication. These lists affect our community.

So I am asking here.
    The All Time List:
    Is there a reason why we can't have both a cross shard All Time List and the individual shards All Time List.?

The Weekly List:
    It appears the weekly list is being updated weekly instead of the old way. Does that mean new dims open or even old dims receiving a plus after the update will have to wait a week to appear on the weekly?

I don't know who is in charge of these lists. You have given us a limited number of dims to tour by discontinuing the individual shard All Time List (unless we know what we are looking for and what shard ) And now you have limited us from looking at dims that would normally be on the Weekly List.

I am now going to express my personal concerns on this. I feel the way things stand now could discourage new builders. To attain 80 pluses (which will change) to appear on the new All Time List is difficult at present now add in the fact they will have to wait for it to appear on the new Weekly List, throw in the fact you now don't know what shard they are on plus the shard all time list is gone. How do we find them or the other dims below 80 plus? Yes another question.

Hopefully we will get some communication soon.
    Thanks for reading this

Good questions Marnth

I agree that this is a big issue and that it's concerning to see days pass without it being officially addressed.

The way I saw it explained was that the combined weekly and all-time lists were not being updated in real-time (as in, votes updating as they're given, dimensions appearing on the lists when you choose to open them to public, and dimensions being removed from the lists when being closed to the public) as it was before, but was instead being updated on a weekly (with the shard reset) basis, barring any additional shard resets which would result in additional updates. This was then clarified as being a daily reset instead of a weekly, but from what I have seen, it does appear to still be weekly only. There was a reset yesterday, but only after the shard downtime in the afternoon. This would mean the aforementioned changes like votes received, dimensions opened/closed, etc., would only register after a downtime.

It's unintuitive and confusing. I only know the above information because I asked directly, and I've seen nothing else said since. There's a lot of misinformation floating around because people are taking wild guesses at what's going wrong... thinking they've made a mistake, or assuming the problem lies with them or their account somehow. It would be great to see an official statement clarifying the subject, and on what direction the team is planning on going from here.

I think the idea of a combined cross-shard list is theoretically great, but like Marnth mentioned, we're seeing some major flaws beyond the lack of real-time updates.
    * This system makes it even more difficult for newly opened dimensions (and even most previously opened dimensions) to be found, as you can't find any dimension with fewer than ~80 votes in the all-time list (previously ~30 votes even on the highest population shards.)
    * While the 'search' function WILL show dimensions with fewer than 80 votes, it only returns search results for YOUR SHARD, which isn't explained anywhere in the UI. Since the alltime/weekly lists have no @shard information, if I saw Marnth's new dimension on the weekly and wanted to find more of her work, using the search function from my own shard would net me no results and I wouldn't know where to find her, since only "Marnth" would appear on the weekly list, not Marnth@Laethys.
    * If the weekly list stays frozen for a week, people will generally only visit (and vote) the top dimensions on the list. The next week when the list refreshes and those votes finally register, it will only act to secure those dimensions' spots in those same top spots. It's silly.

If this is the only way to implement the combined lists, I vote to revert back until something more user-friendly and player-supportive can be arranged.

Dimensions on Faeblight by Holly * Hawthorn * Ivy

Prophet of Telara

Great summary, Holly!

I was excited for this change until I saw how it was implemented. Now I'd rather go back. Weekly updates are just no option. That's thinking about new builders (yes they do exist) and contests alone, add the excitement after opening a new dimension, this is really anti-climatic.... and the lack of explanations. For new players rift and dimensions are complicated enough as it is.

Also, please add @shard. Right now, unless we know the builders, we can't even talk to them, or even know what language to use on EU! And then there can be confusion with same player names. If someone is malicious (is that a word?) someone can take a name on another shard and build something reputation destroying...
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

These are all valid concerns and I hope we'll get updated on it as soon as the team works out the best way to make everyone enjoy the new UI.

In the meantime, here's my two cents:

* I don't think we actually need both lists to be x-shard. If we do, then we also need a filter or a separate list (whichever is easier and faster to implement) to only see our shard's dimensions.

* Since, in my opinion, one x-shard list is enough, I'd rather see the All Time list sorted dynamically by daily votes, which allows everyone to keep their all time votes but also allows people to see the dimensions in the list based on how many votes they're getting at the moment, not three years ago. This way, the weekly list can stay "at home", giving each shard the opportunity to vote for their home shard builds, helping them up in the All Time list (which is x-shard), and also vote for other shards using the All Time list.

* If it is, in fact, possible, then a filter by shard would be greatly appreciated. Combined with owner's Name@Shard in the list, it would make it much easier to view dimensions from specific shards, if there's such a need.

Thank you!
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

All the concerns mentioned here are valid. I believe the issue is further complicated because UI changes are not presently on the table. Laeti made some fantastic suggestions for how to fix things, but they would require UI resources to create things like filters and whatnot to allow for enormous lists to be malleable enough for a user to uncover things that interest them.
    Dimensions on Faeblight
    Out of Bounds | Zea`Lynn the Emerald Feend | Matter of Life & Death

It's day 3 now and the lists are still "frozen" which leads me to believe it's a weekly/server refresh for the Weekly and All Time lists and that is really game breaking for Dimensioneers.

Waiting a week to open or vote on dimensions is really confusing and inconvenient. This will cause issues for contests, role-play events, other events, and some people don't advertise each dimension they open, they let people find them via the weekly list.

I think the shard merge changes if they actually updated like it did before are a good idea, I enjoy seeing all the dimensions there in one place, it has potential. I think it's important that more than 1,000 are listed in the Public All Time because too many dimensions are getting left out.

I can't reiterate enough how vital the Weekly list is to us! Please make the lists update dynamically again.

Posting the issues I've tested from another post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    I give a +1 to any dimension and the dimension receives my vote but the vote count does not go up in the two lists, though it does get marked with the * that I have placed a vote.

Opening a dimension is not opening it right away to these two lists.

Closing (meaning making it not public) is not removing the dimension from the lists.
    Last edited by Nouvae; 04-01-2017 at 06:37 AM.

I 100% agree with all of the above! So many dimensions are being lost because they don't meet the +1 requirements to make public all time. Dimensions that are great and that deserve to be seen. I'm not too worried if the public all time only updates on server resets, but the weekly...It really does mess everything up, especially contests. Also it basically makes the weekly the same as public all time. The ones at the top will stay at the top as they are more visible and will continue to get a stream of visitors, while the new builds will stay at the bottom or just disappear after a weeks gone by. It makes me kind of worried that new builders who don't know about shard dimension channels and advertising here on the forums will just lose interest when they don't get any visitors.
    On top of this, it will likely end up causing a flood of people constantly advertising in chats so they can get on the lists and will cause headaches for non dimensioners too.

I was kind of against the cross shard lists originally because of some of the reasons I've stated here ie, dimensions being lost on the all time list. But now I really like the idea of the cross shard weekly list, but only if it updates instantly like it used too before and improvements are made so dimensions that haven't made it onto the all time list can be found. If this can't be done then I also vote for revert back to how it was until the issues suggested on this thread have been looked at and fixed. I hope we hear some feedback soon cos this silence is deafening...
    Last edited by Ralitza; 04-01-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Can't spell cos I'm actually not human..I'm a potato :(
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

As of Saturday, 7:20pm PST, I have rolled back that feature in NA and EU. There might be some minor wonkiness until the next shard reboot, but it should otherwise be functioning as it was prior to 4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    As of Saturday, 7:20pm PST, I have rolled back that feature in NA and EU. There might be some minor wonkiness until the next shard reboot, but it should otherwise be functioning as it was prior to 4.1.
    Are you guys working on a new fix for the intended new feature or will it stay as it is right now, back to reverted state? just curious
    Naerhya@Greybriar, Anaemeah@Greybriar Anaetta@Greybriar Zanae@Greybriar Rhyaetta@Greybriar and Jhasta@Greybriar

https://twitter.com/NaerhyaRift?lang=en

Thanks for the rollback, Tacitus! Hopefully it will provide some time and space to work out how a cross-shard list could be dynamic and work properly.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread