+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: One player's opinion on the new dim minion stashes.

Default One player's opinion on the new dim minion stashes.

Apologies if this comes across as negative or whiney. I'm not usually one to do this, but I do have the urge to write about this particular topic.

I've only managed to open one stash so far, fortunately it was a 6 star premium and I got a few goodies from it, but I've already spent my 4k adventurine getting that one box! It seems the dimension missions are quite hard to get hold of amongst all the other mission types, and from the looks of it I won't be sending any minions on a 4-hour dim mission for a good few days now!

Hate to put a negative slant on it, but I can't help feel some resentment for the whole thing. Considering Trion rely so heavily on the dimension community for their income to then put 600 items behind a very difficult wall seems a tad unreasonable and exploitative? I watched the hour stream feendish put on the other day, and no one really brought up how difficult any of these items would be to acquire. Everyone was far too excited about the new items, and not thinking logically what this actually meant.

Either, we are going to take our time to aquire these and be very patient (which I'm hoping for), or more worryingly people are going to spend a lot of credits getting to the next dim mission. I can see this being the case considering its addictive nature. I know I'm not in the position to preach about about credit spending considering I've done so much of it myself, though the nature of this rng rolling is concerning me. I honestly do think it's up to us as a community to resist this temptation. Tell me if I'm over worrying here.. Are most other dimensioners planning on taking the long road with these? Or planning on just buying the stashes off the AH?

Anyway, just one mans opinion, I'm more than happy to take other opinions on the matter. I am suffering from a virus, so I could be regretting this post in a few days.

Also, I'm dreading the AH search over the next few weeks, to see if I can spot one of these rares amongst the standard items. Let's just hope the rest of the rift community realise the profit available in the stashes now!
    Fwob - Zaviel

I'll be taking the long, patient road. I've ooh'd and ahh'd over these new items on the PTS for the past several weeks, but apart from one or two things I'm not in any hurry to acquire them.

For as long as we had the previous stashes, I expect to eventually end up with thousands of these minion boxes taking up space on alts as well. I'm a lot more concerned about my wallet when it comes to the Wonders of Allitu Mystery Boxes!
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Either, we are going to take our time to aquire these and be very patient (which I'm hoping for)
    This is the actual intent. Unlike Mystery boxes which get swapped out on a regular basis and are hence built around a schedule of "binge" opening, these Premium Stashes took a ton of time to set up and are here for the long haul. They basically NEED to be more of a slow burn thing so they don't feel useless in 6, 9, 12 months from now or more.

I recognize there might be a few people that burn credits to binge, but that is not the intent. There is no rush - these will be here for a good long while. If someone wants to spend credits on dimension items, better on the new Alittu boxes, I would think.

Let's just hope the rest of the rift community realise the profit available in the stashes now!
    And by all means, encourage your guildies to not shuffle past these missions. Point out that they might make better profit running 4 hour dimension missions now. Since Aventurine is a spend it or lose it resource, hopefully even non-dimensioneers find value now in running dimension missions from the premium deck.

And finally to clarify one tangential point...
    Considering Trion rely so heavily on the dimension community for their income
    This is not actually the case. Dimensions used to generate very little income at all. In the last nine months or so, as I have tried to focus on placing a value focus on dimension purchases, the monetization has definitely improved - and helps justify business-wise the greatly increased amount of dimensions support that has been present since last summer, but at the end of the day... dimensions are still a very small part of Rift's revenue

But I digress - the 4 hour missions are not focused on credit transactions, but are rather focused on being a long term attractive activity as opposed to something that quickly loses value by everyone binge farming them in the first month.

Hopefully that helps clarify the intent here.

General of Telara

I really disagree with dimensions being low income unless you are only looking purely items bought for credits. Dimensioneers buy loads of rex from the store to sell on the AH. The ones I know anyway have spent a lot this way. I think looking purely at dim items for credits could be quite misleading because of this. I would say it is difficult indeed to have any idea what type of player is buying rex to sell but trust me Dimensioneers buy a shed load.
    Last edited by Balidin; 03-29-2017 at 04:31 PM.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

Quote Originally Posted by Balidin View Post
    Dimensioneers buy loads of rex from the store to sell on the AH. The ones I know anyway have spent a lot this way. I think looking purely at dim items for credits could be quite misleading because of this. I would say it is difficult indeed to have any idea what type of player is buying rex to sell but trust me Dimensioneers buy a shed load.
    Data analysis is pretty good at figuring out what kind of player in general monetizes, to what volume, and in which activities they primarily engage. So yes, it IS difficult to have an idea what kind of player is buying REX, but it is still totally possible and style of thing that most game companies monitor. That is what big data folks get paid for. ;)
    Last edited by Salvatrix; 03-29-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Prophet of Telara

that's kind of surprising to me too. Considering how few regular players are (were) left according to my friendlist and the overall feeling of it, and how much each and every single dimensioneer I know spends, from patron over rex to credits, I really wonder what kind of player spends money on what exactly... are the wardrobe guys even more addicted than we are??

anyways.. I cursed the aventurine restrictions yesterday, over and over again. I burned through 5k aventurine for one single box, sigh. all my guildmates and most friends are dimensioneers themselves, and all the friends I had from previous guilds are long gone *cries in german*

well, I still hope I'll find the items I want for that tree contest dimension until june ;-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

I'm slow burning, I'm waiting until the carnival missions are in before I spend my adventurine. (If you tell me they're in now, I'll kick myself.) I do understand the desire to have the new shiney but it won't take long till these items are everywhere.

I am looking at my guild with puppydog eyes. O_O Is it working?

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

General of Telara

Well we're not even 24h into 4.1, so it's really mostly speculation how the availability of those items will turn out.

But I believe Tacitus, dimension people (at least those that don't just hoard stuff landing in their inventory by chance and eventually doodle some) still seem to be a minority, so there should be plenty of people putting their stuff on the AH if it sells for more than a few gold finally. No idea how builders compare in money spent per person, but if you look how quickly the main cities are flooded with people showing off their latest mount or wardrobe purchase...I doubt they all bought it with REX sold by dimension addicts

I personally run a round of 4h missions about every other day, if I play (or semi-AFK) a lot I can even run one every day. 8h I do over night because that's the best to replenish aventurine, the change from 10h to 4h made it possible to squeeze them in during the day.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Hopefully that helps clarify the intent here.
    Thanks for the clarification, it was well explained. Does make a lot more sense now, to have something in place that will last a significant amount of time. It will keep us dimensioners paced and patient in one aspect of the game while we binge on another ^^.

It's also reassuring to hear from other dimensioners that there in for the long game with these too. I'm certainly going to be widening the awareness of these dim missions to my guild as there's profit to be made from them.

Much Love & Gratitude,
    Fwob ;)
    Fwob - Zaviel

So far, i am pleased with the new higher end boxes, and have noted a fair few items on the AH even only one day in.
    What concerned me more, however, is that the low end boxes are now trickling the building blocks out one at a time instead of the 3-4 we were used to. Personally, I would prefer a stack (3-4) of 2 different blocks, than the 4-5 individuals we are getting now.
    Tacius, if you have time, could you explain the logic behind this change?
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

I'm actually very happy about the minion stashes. It takes literally zero effort to acquire the items - no grind, no enormous plat chunks to even get to a place where you can spend another plat chunk on one item (yes I'm still not a Calweddi citizen and not even planning to), no achievements locked behind raids... not even fishing! Seriously, this is exactly what dimmers have been asking for since I can remember - please give us dim items that we can get without doing something we'd normally resent. Here they are, new and shiny, and from those couple boxes I've opened so far - absolutely awesome.

Yes, you might not be able to get them ALL in one day or even week. But aside from direct purchases, when was this ever the case? That's not to mention we got direct purchase updates as well!

I get that many of us would like to have it all and have it now, but I'd rather be patient and open each box like it's a gift I've been waiting for than open a hundred of them in one go and burn out the next day.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Personally, it seems like the 4 hr dim missions were decreased in number with this release. Greatly. I'm disappointed with this, of course, as are many. I didn't expect to get all the new items in one night, but I did expect to get at least 1 or 2 boxes from it. I've gone through about 15 4 hr missions, & still haven't seen a single dim one. I understand the comment that it's intended more to be a long term goal thing, but it looks otherwise when the amount of times it pops up now was greatly reduced. Especially since before this, they were popping up just as regularly as the rest.

Even though I have the same opinion that it was prob done on purpose for ppl to spend credits, because we all know this is a business & devs at times rely on the human impulse to want it now....I will still hang in there. I want those items, & I have the patience to get it. I'll be cussing you every step of the waayy...but I'll still work at it.
    Last edited by Tuasemper; 03-30-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Greybriar by Elleeander

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    <snip>...than open a hundred of them in one go and burn out the next day.
    Yeah, I never thought I'd say it but after opening a thousand or two boxes on the PTS, I was actually tired of opening boxes.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14

Quote Originally Posted by Tuasemper View Post
    Personally, it seems like the 4 hr dim missions were decreased in number with this release. Greatly. I'm disappointed with this, of course, as are many. I didn't expect to get all the new times in one night, but I did expect to get at least 1 or 2 boxes from it. I've gone through about 15 4 hr missions, & still haven't seen a single dim one. I understand the comment that it's intended more to be a long term goal thing, but it looks otherwise when the amount of times it pops up now was greatly reduced. Especially since before this, they were popping up just as regularly as the rest.

Even though I have the same opinion that it was prob done on purpose for ppl to spend credits, because we all know this is a business & devs at times rely on the human impulse to want it now....I will still hang in there. I want those items, & I have the patience to get it. I'll be cussing you every step of the waayy...but I'll still work at it.
    This is absolutely, 100%, incorrect. No mission rarities were adjusted. No missions were removed. Everything in this regard is exactly as it was.

The only thing at all that changed were the rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    Yeah, I never thought I'd say it but after opening a thousand or two boxes on the PTS, I was actually tired of opening boxes. :weird:
    Exactly my point:) I remember when we first got minions and everyone was so excited that we can now have so many dim items for free, especially when so many of them we needed in bulk and without minions it meant huge plat/credit expenses. I could finally afford building with 'fancy' (at the moment, for me) building blocks and items. Then TapLaps came along to help people get rid of all the items they didn't need (but others might), that alone indicates the overflow (people don't just share the items with their friends, but with anyone willing to take them). Minion boxes we were all so excited about at the time are currently something everyone's used to. If the new ones weren't rare, it wouldn't feel the same opening them. People manage to get tired even of the most awesome things:)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast