• 1 Post By Maegwynn
  • 1 Post By Agrona77
  • 1 Post By Lynx3d
  • 5 Post By Agrona77
  • 2 Post By Tamarama

Thread: Music Box Guide for the Hearing Impaired

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

Default Music Box Guide for the Hearing Impaired

Bellarosa made an interesting point about using appropriate music boxes for dimensions in contests. Unfortunately for me, I can no longer listen to music as it makes me ill.

I was hoping the hearing unimpaired out there would help create a guide to music boxes for those who, for whatever reason, can not listen to their dimensions.

If you'd like to help, maybe list a few of your favourite music boxes, whether you find their music soothing, rousing, alien or some description of that nature. Is the beat fast or slow, in between? And if you're still going strong, the kind of build you see that music box used in.

I'll compile and publish the list for future use. Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. As an added extra, what music box should I use in the Hanging Gardens of Radylon, if the default is not suitable?
    Last edited by Tamarama; 02-10-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Added request.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

My two all time favorites (besides the Sanctum Music and Scatherran Music that I hope I'll see in Rift one day) are Shimmersand Box and Silverwood Box.

Shimmersand music - to me - has this tribal/oriental feeling to it, reminds me of distant ports and crowded markets, mysteries hidden in abandoned temples and ancient tombs. I'd use it in ethnic themed builds, temple builds, desert styled builds (especially if there's a market of some sort, or an oasis). Personally I think it'll go perfect with Planetouched Wilds dimension keys in case you're planning to build around the dim theme instead of a total transformation. I can also see it fitting oriental styled Tea houses, Japanese Gardens etc.

Silverwood music - I'd use it for all kinds of Elven/Fairy themed builds (so, I use it a lot, lol). It's incredibly soothing, has this wonderful blend of New Age, Celtic and Fantasy styles, both relaxing and joyful. IMO perfect for forest builds, fairy builds, really all kinds of fantasy themed dimensions based on nature, magic and all that stuff.

There's also two boxes I'd always use very carefully, it's Siren's Song box and Fae Yule box. They both have very specific themes, unlike in-game zone music (which is more of a soundtrack), they're way more catchy and since they're both repetitive, you get tired of them pretty quickly. So personally I'd only use them for small builds rather than large detailed dimensions where visitors get stuck wandering around for a long time.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Laeti; 02-10-2017 at 04:27 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

My favorite music boxes (besides Shimmersand and Silverwood - nice descriptions Laeti!) are:

Stillmoor: It's a more subdued sound. It's heavy, a bit dark and almost tragic sounding. It reminds me of old, epic music scores, reminiscent of movies like Ivanhoe or Camelot. The music would be also great as an underscore for the Helm's Deep scene in Lord of the Rings (before the battle). There are also some lighter tones interwoven in the melody, like rays of sunshine peeking through a gray and cloudy sky.

Whenever I hear the music, it makes me sigh deeply and my heart feels heavy, yet I also feel the hope shining through.The music features a lot of string instruments.

This would be great for any epic castle builds.

Iron Pines: The music is also more on the slow and heavy side. Yet, it also features lighter tones. When the melody strikes the high notes on the piano keys, I can almost see and feel the snowflakes dancing through the air or see the sun reflected from crystal clear ice. It could also be used for a more solemn build, one that calls for some reflection.

This is definitely great for any snow/ice build, because I guess we already associate that music with the snowy realm of Iron Pines. However, this one would also work in a temple build, or in a crystal cave setting, or any mine/cave build. The little plink, plink, plink sounds could also be water droplets.

The music features a pan flute and piano.

I'll have to visit your Hanging Gardens again to suggest a music box.

Prophet of Telara

Iron tomb music box:

Very creepy and haunted sounds, it makes me feel despair and the feeling something's watching me. It is often barely noticeable, but adds a lot of atmosphere to builds that are not so happy - apocalyptic builds, builds containing ghosts or zombies, old creepy ruins etc.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Hey Radish, I went back to check out your Hanging Gardens of Radylon. I don't think you need to place any music box, since you build in Mathosian Cascades.

I actually like the background sounds and music there. It's a bit reminiscent of the Stillmoor music, without the profound sadness. It's a bit lighter, with a few darker undertones, but it is very pleasing. I have been building in Mathosian Cascades for the last few months and I never grow tired of the background sounds/music.

There are also some animal sounds you can hear, like sheep or horses. It adds some life to the place, at least that's how I feel.

Those are very good descriptions - gives me a good idea what types of dims and builds those music boxes are good for.

Thanks Agrona, for checking my dim, good to know the music isn't conflicting with the build.

Prophet of Telara

I love your description, Agrona... would you mind doing the rest too? I would do it, but I'm just not as good as you describing those music pieces in pictures and feelings :-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    I love your description, Agrona... would you mind doing the rest too? I would do it, but I'm just not as good as you describing those music pieces in pictures and feelings :-)
    Alright, I'll try and describe the others as well, Alli! Thanks for your feedback!

General of Telara

Yea I was about to write a reply several times, but felt that I can't describe them adequately, especially Mathosian Cascades. Also, I still wonder if the music depends on the (game) time of day. Like that rather gloomy part with howling wind in Mathosian Cascades somehow seems to play mostly when people chose a nightly setting, but maybe I'm just making that up.

I don't really have a clear favourite of those available, some of the best music is not available as music box unfortunately. Can only say that Goboro, Draumheim and Tarken ones are rather boring to me, they don't really add to the atmosphere. The classic zones are much nicer, but also strongly remind me of that zone wherever you put them.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

I want to say a special thank you to Kitasia, for uploading most of the music boxes on youtube!

Below are my impressions on the base music boxes. I will try and cover some of the other music boxes as well, but most of the dungeon ones are all rather deep, loud and scary. I don't remember ever using those. I don't remember if I even listened to the Iron Tomb one. Need to check that one out.

I agree with you Lynx that the Nightmare Tide music boxes are rather boring and don't really add anything to my dimensions. Oh and I never paid attention to the time of day, so yea, you might be on to something there. The music might change based on that inside the dimensions. The music boxes however capture all the sounds, and don't care what time of day it is, I believe. It's only the based dimension music that does that.

Here are the base descriptions. I've added Laeti's to the list, so that we have a complete one.

Music Box Descriptions by Laeti:

Shimmersand: to me - has this tribal/oriental feeling to it, reminds me of distant ports and crowded markets, mysteries hidden in abandoned temples and ancient tombs. I'd use it in ethnic themed builds, temple builds, desert styled builds (especially if there's a market of some sort, or an oasis). Personally I think it'll go perfect with Planetouched Wilds dimension keys in case you're planning to build around the dim theme instead of a total transformation. I can also see it fitting oriental styled Tea houses, Japanese Gardens etc.

Silverwood: I'd use it for all kinds of Elven/Fairy themed builds (so, I use it a lot, lol). It's incredibly soothing, has this wonderful blend of New Age, Celtic and Fantasy styles, both relaxing and joyful. IMO perfect for forest builds, fairy builds, really all kinds of fantasy themed dimensions based on nature, magic and all that stuff.

Siren’s Song and Fae Yule: They both have very specific themes, unlike in-game zone music (which is more of a soundtrack), they're way more catchy and since they're both repetitive, you get tired of them pretty quickly. So personally I'd only use them for small builds rather than large detailed dimensions where visitors get stuck wandering around for a long time.

Music Box Descriptions by Agrona:

Stillmoor: It's a more subdued sound. It's heavy, a bit dark and almost tragic sounding. It reminds me of old, epic music scores, reminiscent of movies like Ivanhoe or Camelot. The music would be also great as an underscore for the Helm's Deep scene in Lord of the Rings (before the battle). There are also some lighter tones interwoven in the melody, like rays of sunshine peeking through a gray and cloudy sky.

Whenever I hear the music, it makes me sigh deeply and my heart feels heavy, yet I also feel the hope shining through. The music features a lot of string instruments.

This would be great for any epic castle builds.

Iron Pines: The music is also more on the slow and heavy side. Yet, it also features lighter tones. When the melody strikes the high notes on the piano keys, I can almost see and feel the snowflakes dancing through the air or see the sun reflected from crystal clear ice. It could also be used for a more solemn build, one that calls for some reflection.

This is definitely great for any snow/ice build, because I guess we already associate that music with the snowy realm of Iron Pines. However, this one would also work in a temple build, or in a crystal cave setting, or any mine/cave build. The little plink, plink, plink sounds could also be water droplets.

The music features a pan flute and piano.

Gloamwood: The music is rather dark, ominous and somewhat ghostly/scary. It captures the rather depressing, dark forest vibe of Gloamwood very well. It is gloomy, but lacks the sadness of Stillmoor. It is as if you can hear the mournful howl of a lost soul. No light is shining through the tones. It remains pretty dark throughout.

The sound features some low key bass, as well as string instruments.

This music is perfect for scary Halloween builds, or for any dark post-apocalyptic scenes that offer no hope for humanity.

Moonshade Highlands: Soft string music captures the rolling green hills. They tell us of fairies that inhabit the woods, while trumpets and deep drums remind us that Dwarves once dwelt in the mighty fortress of Hammerknell. The music also carries some darker undertones at times, reminiscent of the corruption that has taken over parts of this once lovely valley. It’s a bit sad at times, yet also powerful.

This music would work well for a beautiful home built amidst the waterfall, yet lays abandoned now. It would certainly work for any dwarven built.

Scarwood Reach: This music sounds like it has tribal roots. At times it sounds like some wind instruments are used, like the didgeridoo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didgeridoo), described as a “drone pipe”. It makes these deep, vibrating sounds. The music has some fast sounds and then switches over to a low key, slower melody, then it picks back up with the drums. It’s neither happy, nor sad. At times it’s like a call to action, but then it recedes into the shadows of caves or tribal tents.

This would be a good music box for any tribal setting. Especially one with the new yurts. Or a primitive cave build.

Scarlet Gorge: The music starts out with drums, cymbals, maybe a clarinet. It is written in a slower, even tempo overall. It is by no means depressing though. The sound reminds me a bit of old Persia at the start (not as much as Shimmersand though, that one has the Persian market covered, in my opinion. Now if you do want to go for a real Persian/Arabian/Egyptian sound, then build in Karthan Ponds, no music box required. Wish we had an Ashora music box). After the start, the music grows quieter and you can almost feel the dry, hot air radiate off the red rocks. It also has some droning pipe sounds at times.

This music box works well with all desert builds, with or without any lush oasis. It would probably go well with any cave builds. Or even space builds since the slower melody has something otherworldly to it.

Droughtlands: You can feel the acrid, dry air on your face. The melody starts off with a strong sound, drums and some form of wind instrument, mainly harsh tones though, nothing soft here. Then it tones down, becomes more subtle, as if everyone slinks back into the shadows, trying to conserve energy and pining for fresh water and lush greenery, which can’t be found here.

This music would work for dry, desert builds, without any lush oasis.

Stonefield: I always associate this melody with battle music. It is as if the war drums are calling you to arms. It starts off with trumpets and then the drums fall in. It has a great rhythm. After the first fast pickup, it slows down to a more solemn sound via string instruments, but the drums are still beating in the back ground. It is as if the music flares up at times and then goes lower. It’s a constant ebb and flow. It also sounds as if someone is chanting in the background at times. It does evoke various emotions, from let’s go to oh my…

This is definitely a great music box for any battle scene, because you don’t just hear the initial adrenaline rush when you storm into the fray, but you also feel the sadness of the aftermath. So many lay dead… what have we done?

Ember Isle Jungle: This music also has some Persian influence. It starts out with what I would call “snake charmer” sounds with a small flute type instrument and cymbals. It’s a rather lively start, like you find yourself at a busy market and are inundated with the various sounds. Sellers trying to push their wares, exotic spices assault your nostrils. And then, as you walk further away from the city, you enter into the shadow of the large jungle. The music grows quieter, as the action recedes behind you and you find yourself in new and strange territory. The lower sounds are filled with anticipation and maybe even a bit of fear.

This is, well, as the name says, great for any lush jungle build, with cascading waterfalls or Kelari Temples. It would probably be great for any primitive builds as well, with the Bahmi Yurts.
    Last edited by Agrona77; 02-15-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks folks - I'll sort these into alphabetical order and put them into the guide section and also my website.

+ Reply to Thread