+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: The Apparent Decline In Touring.

Rift Chaser

Default The Apparent Decline In Touring.

Hi everyone,
    I want to address the decline in touring in this thread. With a recent remark on our forum and the numbers of the recent contest on the NA shards, I do feel the need to speak. The numbers have been down for a time now but I thought for the contest at least it would improve a bit. It was not the case however. Which leads me to believe alts that are touring are low level and cannot plus. I have said, for myself when told "sorry I can't plus it" because of that fact it is not a problem and I mean it. But that is for me and I know others in the community don't feel that way.
    When we plus a dim it is the way to show support not only for that dimensioneer but for the community on the whole.

It has been said that it is inconvenient to make touring alts and there is no reason invites can't go out in chat.
    It may take time to make touring alts yes. I think it is well worth it. I have touring alts on all shards NA and EU that are level 10 and over. If I didn't take the time to make them I would miss out on all those fantastic dims. I would not have found all those that may or may not have invited in NA chat and would have definitely not seen all the amazing EU dims. As far as asking in chat I am sad to say hardly anyone responds to those invites.

Some also think they see everything from a pic on the forum or our wonderful sites, that is not the case. You miss the dim as a whole and all the beautiful details that have been put into the dimension.

There is a new contest on the horizon. I am urging all of you with touring alts under level 10 to level them up and those of you who don't have touring alts to take the time to make level 10"s. There is plenty of time to do so for this new contest. Let's show our community the support it deserves.
    Last edited by Marnth; 02-02-2017 at 08:41 AM.
    New Dims: Key Marnth, AREA 39, Doodlebugs, and ? ? ? @Laethys

Rift Master

Just to add something: it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to level an alt to level 10 :-) took me one bored Saturday morning for all the shards NA and EU... especially if you get an ep vial by mail after creating an alt ;-)

That said, each and every contest entry should receive at least as many +1s as there are entries, it's common courtesy to at least tour contest entries when you are a participant yourself... (unless you really really don't like a dimension, of course)
    Alliandre - Brutwacht
    My Dimensions
    New! "Indiana Jones-The Cult of Nagaya" by Alliendre, "Polar Expedition (Alli+Xirschu)" by Luisa

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    Just to add something: it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to level an alt to level 10 :-) took me one bored Saturday morning for all the shards NA and EU... especially if you get an ep vial by mail after creating an alt ;-)

That said, each and every contest entry should receive at least as many +1s as there are entries, it's common courtesy to at least tour contest entries when you are a participant yourself... (unless you really really don't like a dimension, of course)
    Alli, thank you for the input it is appreciated. Sadly that didn't happen, this time around.

Every time there is a contest, I make it a point to visit every entry, whether I participate or not. I copy the list of entries to a word doc, print it out and then go down the list.

Most of my touring alts are lvl 10 or above. I just feel that contest entries definitely deserve a visit, since the builders have to deal with theme restrictions, time restrictions etc. and so, that makes the build even more challenging.

Other than that, I always make lists of new dims that are posted here in the forums and visit those as well. I also make it a point to reply to the threads here and leave feedback.

As you both have stated, it doesn't take a lot of time to level a character to 10 and it is well worth it. I always get a lot of inspiration when I tour dimensions. It is also a great mental stimulus when you visit those works of art.

We need major changes to dimensions if you ask me. To many times do the old dimensions at the top get people in them while the newer dims are to far down the list for any typical player to see. While actual dimensioneers may see them no one else in the community does.

Suggestions:

1. Scratch the +1 system. Make a new mark for dimensions (i.e Hearts, favorites, etc.) so everyone is on an even playing field again.

You can keep the old marks as a way to sort still, but so many dimensions are years old. With new marks players can see the new dimensions in game and they don't have to compete with 3 year old dimensions that are 2k+ likes above them. It would also probably encourage more players to tour dimensions while at the same time letting dimensioneers travel through dimensions again to see all of them.

2. Let people travel to dims cross shard. We do everything else cross-shard, there must be some way to change the system so you can travel to dims on other shards without making lvl 10s everywhere.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    The Real Rift Community Discord! Check It Out!
    Check out the New Rift Reddit! https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORift/ Be Constructive!

Rift Disciple

Where can we see the list of entries?

In the past I simply waited for someone to make a YouTube video about the contest to see the dims' player names/shards.

Something else to think about: ESO's housing is coming out Feb 6th. They have the same X Y Z item placement, although we cannot resize items.

The decline in views might be because some Dimension aficionados are playing ESO now. We've been waiting for castle/medieval building components in Rift for years. Getting more rocks and mostly useless items (with a few exceptions) on Rift's expansion release was a slap in the face.

I myself will be back in 4.1 if we finally see some decent castle building structures. I've been playing Rift since the game's launch, but even I got tired of begging. Survival games (like Ark) have better castle building tools than Rift. That's sad :c
    Last edited by Freneticfangs; 02-02-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Ryaj@Faeblight
    Dim enthusiast and RPer

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    Every time there is a contest, I make it a point to visit every entry, whether I participate or not. I copy the list of entries to a word doc, print it out and then go down the list.

Most of my touring alts are lvl 10 or above. I just feel that contest entries definitely deserve a visit, since the builders have to deal with theme restrictions, time restrictions etc. and so, that makes the build even more challenging.

Other than that, I always make lists of new dims that are posted here in the forums and visit those as well. I also make it a point to reply to the threads here and leave feedback.

As you both have stated, it doesn't take a lot of time to level a character to 10 and it is well worth it. I always get a lot of inspiration when I tour dimensions. It is also a great mental stimulus when you visit those works of art.
    Agrona77, thank you for your input it is appreciated.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    We need major changes to dimensions if you ask me. To many times do the old dimensions at the top get people in them while the newer dims are to far down the list for any typical player to see. While actual dimensioneers may see them no one else in the community does.

Suggestions:

1. Scratch the +1 system. Make a new mark for dimensions (i.e Hearts, favorites, etc.) so everyone is on an even playing field again.

You can keep the old marks as a way to sort still, but so many dimensions are years old. With new marks players can see the new dimensions in game and they don't have to compete with 3 year old dimensions that are 2k+ likes above them. It would also probably encourage more players to tour dimensions while at the same time letting dimensioneers travel through dimensions again to see all of them.

2. Let people travel to dims cross shard. We do everything else cross-shard, there must be some way to change the system so you can travel to dims on other shards without making lvl 10s everywhere.
    Rgizil, thanks for the reply. I think you may be talking about the all times list. I tour old and new dims I really don't see it matters when they were made they are all worth touring.

I am not sure what you mean by the rest of the community here but when I refer to our community I am referring to the dimension community.
    It has been mentioned we will be able to visit dims cross shard for the top 1000, I believe with 4.1 it is not yet know if that will be from weekly or all time.
    Last edited by Marnth; 02-02-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Freneticfangs View Post
    Where can we see the list of entries?

In the past I simply waited for someone to make a YouTube video about the contest to see the dims' player names/shards.

Something else to think about: ESO's housing is coming out Feb 6th. They have the same X Y Z item placement, although we cannot resize items.

The decline in views might be because some Dimension aficionados are playing ESO now. We've been waiting for castle/medieval building components in Rift for years. Getting more rocks and mostly useless items (with a few exceptions) on Rift's expansion release was a slap in the face.

I myself will be back in 4.1 if we finally see some decent castle building structures. I've been playing Rift since the game's launch, but even I got tired of begging. Survival games (like Ark) have better castle building tools than Rift. That's sad :c
    Freneticfangs, the list of entries can usually be found on the first page of the contest thread.
    As far as the decline referred to in this thread it has nothing to do with players going to another game. The ongoing wish list is where you need to post the other concerns. Thanks

First of all, I'd have to agree that any perceived recent decline in touring is likely due to the recent decline in population. I also think that interest in contests as a whole is dying down because players are burning out on them... they've pretty much been run back-to-back for the past year. That said, with all due respect, I don't think anyone owes it to the community, to other builders, to anyone at all, to use their free time here in Rift any way other than how they please. I do tour frequently, and have for many years, but I do so because I want to. I enjoy seeing other players' perspectives, I like seeing their creations. I don't do it because I should, and I don't think anyone here should feel obligated by 'shoulds.'

I think Rgi has brought up some very valid points, especially since he is speaking not only of what is seen or thought within the dimension-building community, but outside of it, where the bulk of the players are. The +1 system is obviously a flawed one if it is leaving players feeling unappreciated or overlooked. Players on lower pop shards, players who aren't in large guilds, players who don't repeatedly bump their own votes, are always going to have difficulty being seen under this system. Nouvae and I have both suggested a 'tagging' system instead of likes or +1s, where players can label their dim with a few thematic tags, like 'cottage,' 'underwater,' 'garden,' etc., so that other players can easily find dimensions that interest them without wading through a likely-skewed weekly list. It's really up to Trion to make touring, showing appreciation, and finding dimensions that interest you more user-friendly. Yes, I have touring alts on every shard. No, I shouldn't have had to make them. Rift's dimensions are the best player housing/building system I have seen in a game, and it's up to them to promote the system and the players paying for it.

My Dimensions on Faeblight

New! Frostgourd Grove * Songbird Theater * Sojourn

*sigh*
    Just *SIGH*
    Treasure the ones that do come visit and the +1' s you get.
    I'm getting quite annoyed about all the complaining , my respond started out a page longer than this, but was filled with everything i hate. So i'm gonna keep it for myself this time.
    I dont have lvl 10 alt on all shards, and now after reading this, I prolly never will.
    When ppl give me an order I do the oposite
    My O-zea-D Garden By Zeamay@Gelidra

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by devanita View Post
    First of all, I'd have to agree that any perceived recent decline in touring is likely due to the recent decline in population. I also think that interest in contests as a whole is dying down because players are burning out on them... they've pretty much been run back-to-back for the past year. That said, with all due respect, I don't think anyone owes it to the community, to other builders, to anyone at all, to use their free time here in Rift any way other than how they please. I do tour frequently, and have for many years, but I do so because I want to. I enjoy seeing other players' perspectives, I like seeing their creations. I don't do it because I should, and I don't think anyone here should feel obligated by 'shoulds.'

I think Rgi has brought up some very valid points, especially since he is speaking not only of what is seen or thought within the dimension-building community, but outside of it, where the bulk of the players are. The +1 system is obviously a flawed one if it is leaving players feeling unappreciated or overlooked. Players on lower pop shards, players who aren't in large guilds, players who don't repeatedly bump their own votes, are always going to have difficulty being seen under this system. Nouvae and I have both suggested a 'tagging' system instead of likes or +1s, where players can label their dim with a few thematic tags, like 'cottage,' 'underwater,' 'garden,' etc., so that other players can easily find dimensions that interest them without wading through a likely-skewed weekly list. It's really up to Trion to make touring, showing appreciation, and finding dimensions that interest you more user-friendly. Yes, I have touring alts on every shard. No, I shouldn't have had to make them. Rift's dimensions are the best player housing/building system I have seen in a game, and it's up to them to promote the system and the players paying for it.
    Holly, the decline referred to here is not based on the population decline.
    I do think we as individual members "should" support our community however. No one is trying to force anyone to do something they don't want to. If urging others to level up their alts or make touring alts is wrong I will take responsibility for doing so.
    As for suggestions to improve our system (which I happen to agree is not perfect) I believe they belong in a" thread" of their own..
    Last edited by Marnth; 02-02-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Zeamage View Post
    *sigh*
    Just *SIGH*
    Treasure the ones that do come visit and the +1' s you get.
    I'm getting quite annoyed about all the complaining , my respond started out a page longer than this, but was filled with everything i hate. So i'm gonna keep it for myself this time.
    I dont have lvl 10 alt on all shards, and now after reading this, I prolly never will.
    When ppl give me an order I do the oposite
    Sorry you feel that way Zeamage. No one is ordering you to do anything. A suggestion was made here that is all. No one is complaining.

Default TEXT WALL ALERT

Thank you for the thread M! It brings up some very interesting points.

First off, I have mentioned it multiple times before and I'll say it again, the whole touring process needs a revamp in order to optimize it. We're limited in our touring options - and yes, partially because we're often lazy or lack the time, but it doesn't mean there's no need for changes.

What I suggest is:

1) Allowing invites to be sent from any toon, within the current shard, to make it easier for people to show their dims.

- Say, I want to invite the peoples in chat to see some of my dims. Now 3 of them are built on Laeti, two on Aelari and another three on Xanadu and - oh! - one more on Myttra. I'd have to hop on all those alts one by one to send all the invites. Even if by some chance I have that much time to just stand around sending invites, what if someone just hopped in the chat and wanted to see the dims I invited to couple minutes ago? Either I need to hop back to that alt, or tell the person to hop shards and log on their touring alt (which they might not have yet, for example, because they're new). That's just a waste of time IMO, the process should be much easier!

2) Making "favorites" lists that might (if possible) include dimensions from other shards.

- Now I know it's nearly impossible to eliminate cross-shard limitations due to many reasons. But we should at least be able to have a list of favorite dimensions (even if it has limits) so we could revisit the dims we loved without having to dig through the general list (good luck finding a dimension with a base name like Three Springs lol). Yes I am aware of the friends list and the way we can see our friends' dims on our shard. No, it doesn't do it. Besides the fact that I might only like 1-2 dims built by someone I know enough to add them to favorites, friends have storages, works in progress, empty dims etc - it just floods the list and makes it pointless.

This should at least be possible within one shard - although, obviously, it would be much better if we could "save" dimensions visited via invites to be able to visit them again, even if they're on a different shard (I don't think it's possible or easy, so no high hopes there).

3) Last but not least - allow us to "hide" dimensions from the random 'list'. This way those who actually use the "random" button for surprise touring and hidden gems wouldn't have to dig through hundreds of empty and/or cluttered dims with no purpose except for dumping someone's lvl 10 quest items. Allow us to hide all the dimensions with default names. Yes I know some people never bother changing the names for their builds but I think it would be a nice addition and a reason for them to think of some nice unique name for their dimensions; yes I know we'd still have to deal with dozens of "junk yards", "take my stuffs" and other dims the owners were so kind to leave open to public. But at least we'd be able to get rid of all the empty starter/loyalty dims, that alone would make a huge difference.

Even with a declining population, there's still ways to encourage touring or at least make it easier and more friendly for every dimmer. I'd really love some response on these issues, at least in terms of "possible/impossible" and "worth the time spent/not worth the time spent".

As for the pictures on the forums - that's my very own pet peeve. I can't call myself picky, but most of the time, time is of the essense for me. I'd love to have enough time to play, build, and tour all the new dims everyone creates on both regions. Sadly, for me, as I'm sure for many others, it's often either one or another. So when I see a forum post saying nothing but "Hi I made a new dim come visit", I'm most likely to skip it unless it's from someone I know to be a great builder. Making a screenshot and attaching it to the topic takes less than a minute, it gives out more information than any description, and lets people decide for themselves if they want to visit or not. Let's say I wouldn't go visit a horror-themed or a gothic dim, or a jumping puzzle, or - I dunno - anything that has to do with fire and neon lights. Simply because I don't like these themes and they almost never interest me, at all. Now if I see a forum post saying hey guys visit my new haunted house with a fire on the second floor and a shiny blinking jumping puzzle in the backyard, I'll probably pass. But if it has at least a couple pictures showing the dim might be interesting even to me - I'd most likely make time to visit it. Sorry, but I'm just being honest. I think pictures in the "welcome" posts can only encourage touring, even if the person wasn't initially going to visit the dim. Sometimes I waddle around on DTC or DimensionGallery and see a picture that draws my attention - and later when I'm home I'll go and visit that build to see more, even if it has something that I don't usually like. It's part of encouraging the touring, and a very important part - I really wish people took the time to make at least a couple screenies to show, I'm sure that would bring even more visitors than a simple description.
    Laeti@Laethys
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Rift Raid Guides~RIFT360
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

I went I saw I plus oned not because I think I should but because I enjoy visiting dims. I personally see several a week because I enjoy it. Not everyone enjoys visiting dims. I like to visit when no one is in them. There are a few reasons to me for enjoying being alone. But they only matter to me. I do also think the decline has alot to do with players who have left lately. Hopefully 4.1 will be so utterly amazing that everyone comes back and we get new people. I do love visiting contest builds so many in one go without the random button.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast