• 3 Post By Tamarama
  • 1 Post By Galadhlinn
  • 2 Post By Laeti
  • 3 Post By Nouvae
  • 1 Post By Zillaan
  • 1 Post By Laeti

Thread: Waving at Tacitus

Default Waving at Tacitus

I know it has been suggested before but I would like to jump up and down and wave flags to suggest again. Please could we have some form of guestbook or feedback system in dimensions.

With the Botanical Gardens contest just finished, many of us are touring 30+ dimensions in one go to see all the entries. For many of them I have wanted to leave not just a +1 but a comment or two praising particular aspects of the dimension. To do this I have had to exit the dim, juggle with the precise spelling on the owner's name for a mailed message, juggle again on the exact dimension name... because it would be rude wouldn't it to get that wrong... and all in all it's a right faff!

A nice shiny guestbook, preferably an actual interactive dimension item that the dimensioneer can place in a suitable spot within the dim... now that would be the perfect thing. Also how cool would it be to be able to read other visitor's comments.

I say this because from my own point of view I would love to know what people think of my work and whilst it is always lovely to see +1's there is nothing so encouraging as a comment. I am sure I am not alone in this.

So Tacitus, if at all possible can you do this for us? Good.. that's sorted then.
    Last edited by Tinderal; 01-31-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Love love LOVE this suggestion

Bella
    Bellarosa ~ Dimensions Lovingly Created on Laethys - look for Bellarosa

It would be awesome indeed

Thumbs up

Absolutely brilliant idea

Prophet of Telara

As much as I love the idea of a guest book, I fear it would be something that's abused easily for insults and trolling, especially when it's public - so we'd need some way to delete posts, or even better, decide if a comment gets published before it appears for other players. An easy way to write a comment to the owner would be much appreciated though :-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    As much as I love the idea of a guest book, I fear it would be something that's abused easily for insults and trolling, especially when it's public - so we'd need some way to delete posts, or even better, decide if a comment gets published before it appears for other players. An easy way to write a comment to the owner would be much appreciated though :-)
    Agreed. It would be lovely up until someone decides to post something offensive and then it'll just add up more work for the CS to deal with.

As for touring purposes, I'd rather see two things that could make touring easier for everyone first - the ability to invite people to your dimensions regardless of which toon you're currently on (within the same shard, obviously); and the ability to "save" favorite dimensions to a list you could travel back from at any time (yes I know the +1s are supposed to indicate the dims we've already visited but I'm a generous tourist and my +1s pretty much indicate almost all dims I've been to, not just my favorites; and adding everyone to friends list won't work either - I am not interested in people's storages, for example).

You can always "leave a comment" by messaging the dim owner in game or sending them a mail with your kind words - I bet any dimmer would love to receive such a surprise even if it's not in a form of a guestbook:)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

It's lovely to go to your mailbox and find an appreciative tourist has sent you a message.

I suspect keeping a permanent database of comments for each dimension might take up a lot of data storage. A useful alternative might be to have button on our dimension touring bars that automatically sends our message to the dimension owner as mail, to last the usual month. That way we could delete or report offensive messages. Be even better if we could turn that facility on and off, I can think of a few dimensions that would certainly receive some less than lovely messages from the trolling minded.

I'd suggest we all put mailboxes in our dimensions but the cost would be prohibitive considering the amount of dimensions we make. Not to mention that the mailbox would look funny in many of them.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

Shadowlander

Default Great Idea!

Not only would this be great, but adding writable books and scrolls would then be just as viable coding wise. The concerns about miss-use while valid can also happen through the mail system. Guestbook abuses would be just as reportable as email if you simply refer in your complaint to the guest book. Landmark, another building game was hesitant to implement writable books and scrolls in part for this reason but finally added them in. Though the game is shutting down, I never read or heard about abuse and I have builds on three of four servers.

I personally can't think of a bigger, more profound step forward for Rift dimensions and those who enjoy creating in them. The minute we have writable books and scrolls, stories become possible. We will be able to take our visitors on a journey through our dimensions. The possibilities are endless!

-G

Quote Originally Posted by Galadhlinn View Post
    Not only would this be great, but adding writable books and scrolls would then be just as viable coding wise. The concerns about miss-use while valid can also happen through the mail system. Guestbook abuses would be just as reportable as email if you simply refer in your complaint to the guest book. Landmark, another building game was hesitant to implement writable books and scrolls in part for this reason but finally added them in. Though the game is shutting down, I never read or heard about abuse and I have builds on three of four servers.

I personally can't think of a bigger, more profound step forward for Rift dimensions and those who enjoy creating in them. The minute we have writable books and scrolls, stories become possible. We will be able to take our visitors on a journey through our dimensions. The possibilities are endless!

-G
    I'm sure the community in Landmark is not nearly as toxic as it can sometimes be in Rift (even though Rift community is one of the nicest bunch of people I've seen). On top of that, it's not just stuff people can write in the guestbook but also stuff people can write in the writable books and scrolls (imagine the amount of reports for the CS to deal with when the owner can change the text at any time as many times as they want).

I can see how nice it would be for the RP community to be able to make stories for their dims - don't get me wrong I'm all for it, it's just IMO it would be nice to optimize the touring process first - because even with all the scrolls and books you can't invite visitors to your alt's dim from your main toon, you can't tour dims on other shards even when the owners are in fact on your friends list - you still need to either hop shards or be physically invited to see the dim. The touring itself could use a bit of revamping just to make it easier and less time consuming for people to initiate touring and to take part in it. I really don't want to offend anyone here but I'd rather the devs work on that first than making books writable (unless it's a task for two different people and then I'm all for both, obviously).

I would only support an option for a Guestbook feature in Dimensions if it is completely optional for the Owner. At one time, I was very excited and thinking that I would appreciate such an option in game, but after having the Dimension Gallery for several years now there has been a few incidences here and there where people have left rather rude comments on someone else's gallery page. I've of course deleted any such nonsense immediately but I doubt very seriously we would be able to delete comments from players in-game like that. Unfortunately, not everyone would leave a nice note.

However, I do think it would be helpful if the Owner could place a book or item of some type into their dimension where they can leave a description or notes for visitors to read.

Another option could be to add a mail icon to the UI where a visitor could click to open the mail system and send the Owner a note. This would be a private note and possibly not cost any currency to mail, sending directly to the Owner's mail box.

slightly off topic, but before all this I would like to see a customisable sign post. But even a guest book in the form of a log of who has entered would be nice. I mean, they can log guild activities and such - why not this?
    Last edited by Zillaan; 02-03-2017 at 06:34 PM.
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

A simple workaround to avoid offensive comments being added to the guest book would be to have a check mark that any comment added to it would need the Dim owners approoval before being added. Therefore if someone writes something insultiing the Dim owner can just deny the comment to be published.

Active Dimensions - Mupi's Home

Quote Originally Posted by Honoun View Post
    A simple workaround to avoid offensive comments being added to the guest book would be to have a check mark that any comment added to it would need the Dim owners approoval before being added. Therefore if someone writes something insultiing the Dim owner can just deny the comment to be published.:cool3:
    It's no less offensive when it's directed to the dim owner, if they see it before hiding/deleting/reporting. Especially if the offender knows of this system - they'll just post comments directed at the owner. But yes, it will spare everyone else:)

+ Reply to Thread