+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By swordkata
  • 2 Post By Fire Serpent

Thread: Jumping pads question

Default Jumping pads question

Hello lovelies!

I have a question about Jumping pads. I already asked this in the channel and got a positive response but I just wanted to clear this up because spending 400 credits on something i wouldn't use otherwise would be a waste.

The question is, do jumping pads work vertically, as in an elevator vertically?
    With no obstructions on the way from A (first floor) to B (second floor), but exactly the way an elevator would work (you step on the launch pad on floor 1 and it takes you to the landing pad on floor 2 through an elevator shaft built inside the house). Obviously the landing pad wouldn't be exactly above the launch pad, since we need to land on the 2nd story floor, but technically the curve would be minimal. What I'm not sure about is, do the pads work with such minimal curves or it has to be a massive curve like in HK? Sounds stupid but I don't want to spend credits on something that wouldn't even work the way I need it to:(

(and this all because the stupid Tower elevator would just run through me when placed below the terrain unless I keep jumping in the shaft lol)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

General of Telara

I have a love and hate relationship with the jump pads. Firstly, I'm so glad they were implemented. Secondly, there has never been a build I made(Mostly contest dims) that they have worked perfectly one moment, and spazzed out the next.

I wish they had a way to set the arch measurements, but mostly its trial and error. I also firmly believe they don't settle at first and if you re-log into your dim, they get reset a few degree's.

Object obstruction the way is a big thing as well..Mainly, its trial and error, with no determining way to make sure the jump is perfect.
    Korvac the conquerer.

Quote Originally Posted by swordkata View Post
    I have a love and hate relationship with the jump pads. Firstly, I'm so glad they were implemented. Secondly, there has never been a build I made(Mostly contest dims) that they have worked perfectly one moment, and spazzed out the next.

I wish they had a way to set the arch measurements, but mostly its trial and error. I also firmly believe they don't settle at first and if you re-log into your dim, they get reset a few degree's.

Object obstruction the way is a big thing as well..Mainly, its trial and error, with no determining way to make sure the jump is perfect.
    Well, my issue is mostly with the actual ability of the pads to get me from 1st floor to the second (doesn't have to be the exact spot, as long as it lands me on the second floor after I step on the launch pad in the shaft on the 1st floor) with a minimal arch. I've seen the pads working perfectly when they had to bring me from point A down on the dim's floor to the point B all the way up across half the dim. What I'm trying to achieve is the exact opposite - minimal height, minimal jumping curve, basically an elevator simulator :D If I can't make the pads work I'll just end up making stairs, but I wanted to avoid it and the tower elevator is refusing to cooperate lol

General of Telara

Hm I'm afraid that won't work, unless I have a different conception of an elevator shaft.

I just played with mine a bit, and while they are good to jump upwards, there has to be a minimum horizontal difference or the pad will stop reacting properly, and if it does, you need to be lucky to make it over the ledge and not just fall back down.

To be more precise, for ~50m vertical distance, you need at very least 10m horizontal for it to react at all, better 15m to land reliably.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    Hm I'm afraid that won't work, unless I have a different conception of an elevator shaft.

I just played with mine a bit, and while they are good to jump upwards, there has to be a minimum horizontal difference or the pad will stop reacting properly, and if it does, you need to be lucky to make it over the ledge and not just fall back down.

To be more precise, for ~50m vertical distance, you need at very least 10m horizontal for it to react at all, better 15m to land reliably.
    I apologize for my superb Paint skills, here's pretty much what it would look like

Jumping pads question-.jpg

The elevator shaft isn't really high, as you can see compared to brilliantly drawn toon model. So the point of the pads would be to bring the blue heart to the second floor through this shaft to emulate an elevator. Currently I'm thinking jumping pads vs PVP banner vs stairs.

I want to avoid stairs for item count saving purpose, and the PVP banner because I wanted the elevator to actually work vs having an elevator-like shaft with a door and a huge shiny banner to click to get upstairs (so, mostly just decorative purpose vs a working elevator simulation). Credit cost would be pretty much equal but having an actual elevator in the building is something I'd really love to achieve.

Prophet of Telara

Lynx3d is right, there have to be at least 10 min without anything to stop your jump... jump pads are incredible fun, but they won't work as a replacement for elevators, I'm afraid... I tried a lot with them :-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

General of Telara

Seems you want a vertical distance that is more like 5m than the 50m I had tested, but the issue remains. Below ~10m horizontal distance between jump pad and jump target, the pad simply doesn't react for me, no matter if vertical distance is 5 or 50m.

So you could have it catapult you up where normally would be one of those long stairs your minions bring ever so often, you don't get launched much higher than the landing point in those cases. But straight up is not possible.

-edit-
    But I agree, jump pads are fun ;)
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 01-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Thanks guys!
    Looks like I'll be using PVP banners and an elevator look-alike instead
    Not quite what I wanted but I can probably make it work just as realistic.

On a sidenote, I wonder if there's a way to make tower elevators and such work properly (as in, pick you up and lift without jumping lol) when sunk into the terrain, since we can't adjust their active height distance.

Rift Disciple

Lynx3d has it right regarding the jump pad destination requiring horizontal leeway to work. Unless you are in a hurry, you might hold off buying those expensive pvp teleporters. IIRC Tacitus (or someone else) mentioned new teleport-like items being added to the game in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Serpent View Post
    Lynx3d has it right regarding the jump pad destination requiring horizontal leeway to work. Unless you are in a hurry, you might hold off buying those expensive pvp teleporters. IIRC Tacitus (or someone else) mentioned new teleport-like items being added to the game in the near future.
    Hm, that's interesting, thank you!
    I'm sure they'll also be credit or affinity so looking at the same price probably, but I'll hold off and work on the elevator last - it's definitely worth waiting for :)

+ Reply to Thread