+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Ral

Thread: Terrain paint - uses thereof.

Default Terrain paint - uses thereof.

Well then, perhaps one of you lovely dimension peeps could tell me if there is an order of priority when it comes to terrain paints. If I place one on top of another, which one prevails. I ask this because in my experiments, the last paint applied is the one I see... until I log back in and then it seems to be hit or miss as to which one is showing. This will not do. I require precision.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I'll try to answer your question, but I'll admit that I haven't conducted the experiments with terrain paints that I probably should have.

The old paints (snow, desert, death, etc.) don't play well together, one will always overwrite the other. What it sounds like you're getting is the paint version of flicker (which is sometimes what happens when you stack Sky Projectors and music boxes, also).

The new paints (Mossy, Freemarch, etc.), have a much more subtle line at the edges where they can blend...somewhat. At the edges only.

My best suggestion, if, say, you're trying to make a two-tone wall or something, is to offset the second paint ever so slightly (.001) to ensure the texture you want is on top. As far as stacking directly on top to try to blend, I've never been able to achieve it, but maybe someone else has, and they can share how it was done.

Hope that helps.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Thanks for that Feendish. Paint flicker eh... well that's something to contemplate and experiment with at a later point. Could be fun!
    Hmm, well what I am trying to do at the moment, is place a building block on terrain painted ground and then paint said block with something different. To an extent I have managed to achieve that and I am using mainly new paints here, but while I am getting the effect I want when I am building, the effect doesn't seem to stick through a log out. The paints are set at different heights as well so offsetting won't help.
    I hereby declare that we require an anti-terrain paint which selectively rubs out painted areas. Yep.

Ral
    Rift Master

You mentioned heights, but I was unsure if you were talking about position (as I mention below), or the height of the paint cylinders themselves being different (which changes with scaling). Regardless this has worked for me in the past so perhaps it will help.

It is best to consider the paints as forming in a vertical cylinder of effect with very distinct top and bottom (based on their scaling).

You can achieve what you are asking specifically (for flat ground at least) by taking the ground paint, and lowering it until the top of the cylinder just barely touches the ground or object functioning as ground. Then place the other object on top of the ground and raise its paint effect up until its bottom of the cylinder is just above the ground object.

Basically then the top (of the ground) and bottom (of the non-ground) almost touch each other so the effects don't actually overlap.

A major caveat of this is that afaik you can't "rotate" the cylinder, at least with the ones I have used, so this will only work for completely flat ground. If you need to use uneven ground you will likely have to have a gap to ensure the effects do not overlap and you may be able to hid these gaps in the effect with unpaintable objects such as grass around rocks.

If newer paints do allow rotation of the effect, you can probably do the same thing on a rotated axis.
    Last edited by Ral; 01-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.

All of this talk of terrain paints, and using them myself again last night, prompted the idea that.. I would really love to see a way for the terrain paints to be horizontal or vertical. Meaning, now that they are scale able, it would be wonderful to be able to make them apply vertically to walls for instance -or- horizontally to the ground. There are times I want them to only apply vertically and not horizontally. Hopefully that makes sense.

Ooo yes, it would be excellent if paints could be applied horizontally and vertically, in fact rotated all round. This is the first build I have done that is using paints in new and unexpected ways.. as opposed to throwing it on the ground in a Pollack-esque sort of a fashion. I am learning much more about their properties and what can and can't be done. All that info was very helpful Ral, thanks. I've just about managed to sort out what I wanted now. Yay.

+ Reply to Thread