+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: UI Requests

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Lightbulb UI Requests

As the title states, this is for UI requests...

More slots. I have found a couple people with more than 70 active builds, there are a few with 50, and a bunch at or close to 40. With the continuous addition of new keys, more slots would be greatly appreciated.

How many more? At least 10, but preferably 20. Just using my main as a personal example, she has 20/20 active, and 12 inactive, because I don't collect keys on her any more, there's no point in doing so. My next alt has 20/20 active and 10 inactive. I can make a new character, yes, but I already build on eight characters (soon to be nine) and each new one gets 5 keys right off the top upon creation (Faen's, EoI, EE, Everywhere and Shadow Scion), with a 6th at level 8 or so after completing the starter quest. If I max out all the slots on that little baby alt, a third of my slots are gone just in the free keys I get.

A favorites tab added to the UI. I have certain dimensions on different shards, as well as my own shard, that I like to visit repeatedly. A favorites tab would be very conducive to putting all of those builds in one convenient place. A dimension could be added either through typing it in manually or something like the +1 button added to the actual dimension frame itself.

Expand the Search tab for top 100 results instead of 50. This goes back to those with more than 50 builds--most of those with that many builds tag the dimension names in some way so they can be identified as belonging to the same person. In the case of the one with more than 70, or as soon as someone hits 51, the Search tab doesn't return all of that person's builds.

Some way to identify builds belonging to alts, whether through the permissions settings or via some other method within the UI. There could be an alternative owner name (for example, if I labeled all my dimensions on Greybriar with Baradara or Feendish) or some other means. Currently, many people use some sort of tag built into the dimension name, but that seems very unwieldy (even though I do it myself).

I know the item list has already been requested to be adjusted, either with a toggled option to close or just closed off entirely, but I'm going to reiterate it here.

My heart goes out to Iduna, so I'm going to mention the request to have a means of locking dimension items in place built into the UI. We've all been there, when we've gotten something placed just so, and--however it happens, one or more items gets selected and then poof, all that work is gone. Or, and this may work as well for completed builds (these are the ones I personally usually end up destroying by accident), by setting a toggle in the permissions so that we can remove our own editing rights if we don't want to make changes. If we decide to TNT that build or make changes, the toggle could be turned back on and we could go in as normal.

Notes and subject tags have also been brought up by several other people, so I'm going to add them as well. Sometimes, dimension names don't give a clue as to what's really in it, so being able to give a dimension a subject tag would be very helpful--and especially helpful for those who are looking to check out something specific or a certain theme.
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-16-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Prophet of Telara

Support for all points from me!
    I have wished for a favorites tab countless times... And it would be nice if it keeps track of name changes as well :-)

More slots: yes please! After I have gone through all 20 slots I have several soulbound items sitting in my bank I can't use. This makes me sad every day.
    If more slots are really not possible, at least make all soulbound dimension items acc-bound... There's really NO sense at all in keeping them soulbound...
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch", several Collabs with different people - NEW: "The Headless Horseman" by Maegwynn, "Monkey Island 2", Collab on Chuliana, "Stuck at Rabbit's House (Alli)" on Jaodya

Plane Walker

I agree with both Feendish and Maegwynn. It would also be great if our alts could invite to our dimensions instead of having to change to the owner.

I agree with both Feendish and Maegwynn. It would also be great if our alts could invite to our dimensions instead of having to change to the owner.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ that, a million times affinity that statement above.
    Also all of what Bara wrote too.
    Naerhya@Greybriar, Anaemeah@Greybriar Anaetta@Greybriar Zanae@Greybriar Rhyaetta@Greybriar Rhynae@Greybriar and Jhasta@Greybriar

https://twitter.com/NaerhyaRift?lang=en

Default :D

Ohhhh yes to all, but mostly the "favorites" part. Currently im building in another guilds dimension, having to search for it every time i have to go get some items from another dimension, might seem like a small thing, but doing so many times a day is to me, VERY annoying. But it isnt the only time i have wished for that, in so many ways a favorites list would bring a little less "ARGHHH" to my life.
    Hidden Gem By Zeamage@Gelidra

General of Telara

I agree that browsing desperately needs some improvements.
    I'm still annoyed by the simple fact that you can't see the full name of dimensions if it's too long for the UI column, please give it a tooltip or something showing the full name.

Searching should have option to only search name or owner and a way to get the next 50 results.
    An option to include all shards would be a huge bonus too.

I'd also argue that everyone should be able to invite others to the current dimension (if it is public, at least), they are made to be visited after all, it's stupid that you need to tell people to log to a different shard when you found a cool dimension, when clearly there is no technical limitation preventing you from visiting dimensions of a different shard, heck you can even vote for them, but entering them is a PITA.

Bookmarks/Favourites is also something I suggested somewhere, so full ack on that one. There are several dims where I forgot the exact name and haven't been able to find again.

I also dislike the purely quantity-based rating. Many +1 != high quality. Actually, many of the top ranked are simply super old, and get more votes just because more people visit them because of the high ranking.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 06-17-2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Default Yes to all of the above

I have joined this conversation to provide some really strong begging for the suggestions above to be implemented.

With regard to adding more slots to build in, I think the ability to add slots should be limited only by how many keys to dimensions there are to build in (currently 63? and assuming more on the way). 1 of each key, per character, is fair. I should move to an alt if I have an itch to build in Kestrel's Cry Ravine more than once.

I suspect that Trion will want to charge us something to open up more slots. That's fine--but please, I'm begging you--make it cost Planarite for a 2, 3, or 4 pack of slots. You can charge me all 200k Planarite (the current max I can acquire) each time, if you like. Give me something to spend this stuff on. I'm tired of seeing the red maxxed out message. It hurts my soul.
    Last edited by bridgestew; 06-17-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Default I thought of a few things

Now that I think about it, I want to add to the UI request list. Please allow:

1. Our list of dims to appear like the search, alts, friends, or guildmates list, or
    2. Allow us to put our dims in the order we prefer.

Why? I would like a way to get to the dim I'm building with fewer clicks.

If I can rearrange their order, I can put my current in-progress build in slot 1. And if I have storage dims, I can place them in the order of my choosing.

If rearranging their order isn't possible, a single scrollable list would ease the pain as it requires fewer clicks to get to the dim I need.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bridgestew; 06-18-2016 at 06:55 AM.

I think most of these suggestions are great ideas that would really improve the user-friendliness of dimensions and promote more building AND more touring.

More slots- Yes, please! Besides being fun and providing more options and less frustration to those of us with many dimensions, this would also help alleviate the bug that some of us have encountered from claiming more unused "inactive" keys than we have open dimension slots.

Expand the Search tab for top 100 results instead of 50- Yes, please! I've run into the same issues with search results getting cut off when searching certain builders, or base dimensions, or even myself, because...

Some way to identify builds belonging to alts- when I build a dimension on an alt, I like to include my main's name, Emerald, in the dimension name so people know it is me. Searching "Emerald" on my home shard brings up search results of nearly 20 different characters that have the word "emerald" in their name, none of them being alts of mine or having anything to do with my builds. This is partially due to me having such a common name, but does also indicate the need for a better means of being able to identify our work as our own. I would love a more foolproof way to tag a dimension as mine... leading me to...

Notes and subject tags- I adore this idea, this is something we've been chatting about for a long time. The ability to "tag" your dimension with a set amount of descriptors to give a suggestion of what can be found inside (ie cottage, mansion, landscape, castle, garden, vehicle, fountain, etc.) This would give us the ability to do more to advertise what we've created, and also vastly improve the ability to search out dimensions that interest us. It's such a user-friendly feature on so many websites and applications and would be so fun and useful in regards to dimensions, I would love to see it used here in Rift!

Restricting item selection through the item list- Uninvited copying of sets of items is distressing on many levels. Thank you again for "hearing" us on this matter

I agree with Lynx3d's suggestion to show or provide a tooltip that can show a dimension's full name within the search window. I also agree that the current +1 system is not always the best way to find what we are looking for; particularly in the 'all time' category, a dimension can have 2000+ votes simply due to its age, but I am not sure of a better alternative without overhauling our search options. That said, I do think a 'recently completed,' or 'recently opened' category would be fun and help us to find new builds rather than having to sift through hundreds of old ones.
    Last edited by devanita; 06-18-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Dimensions on Faeblight by Holly * Hawthorn * Ivy

I included some of these requests in my recent list of questions submitted to the DTC for their Dev meeting in July so naturally I support most of what is posted and I appreciate the opportunity to expand on them a little bit here, thanks Feendish. The Dimension UI is a huge part of the game experience for me and I would love to see it receive some updates.

Tagging/Category:
    I would like to see a tagging system, one that has predetermined tags or categories that can be selected for each dimension key, add a new tab next to the Permissions settings tab and allow for people to select up to 5 or 10 of these tags per key. The tags could be something like this:

House, Vehicle, People, City or Town, Cottage, Boat, Maze, Jumping Puzzle, Slide, PvP Arena, Crafting, Holiday, Role Play, ..and so on, you can see some of the categories I've used on the gallery directory as an example.

Then have a new search tab on the left hand side of the Dimensions UI that says "Categories" or "Tags" .. or something like that. When you click on it you see a list of the categories in alphabetical order, clicking the tag/category will take you to a new search page that lists all the dimensions tagged with the category.

Description:
    If the tagging idea is not available, or in addition to the tags, add some ability to type in a short description of your dimension, like 150 characters or less, and then have those words searchable in the search function of the UI. So if my description for my Neptunes Realm is "An underwater world built for a king" and someone searches the word "king" they will see Neptunes Realm in the search results... hopefully peaking their interest to go visit. This "tag line or description" could be seen on the screen just below the name of the dimension for visitors to know the creators intention with the build, or some other button they can hover over on the UI that allows them to read your description.

Created By:
    Personalization in the way that we can somehow identify the dimensions belonging to a player including their alts. Maybe add another naming field for each dimension key that we can type our main characters name in there, call it something like "Created By:" and when people search for that name it comes up as a list of all the dimensions on all characters they have built under. Allow enough characters so if two people built a dimension together as a collaboration they can add their names "Created by: Ren & Stimpy". The Created By field could default to the Owners name, until the player changes it, much like the way the naming of a dimension is now.

Expanded UI:
    This brings me to a desire to see the UI expanded in size, so that we can see the dimensions full name in the searches, and then add a column called Created By that is similar to the Owner column now where we can see who made the dimension. Many times the Owner of the dimension is not actually who created it.

Item List:
    Restricting access to the item list, I want to see this happen. There are numerous reasons why it would be beneficial.

More dimension key slots, yes please. 10 or 20 more per character would be awesome!

Invite:
    An ability to invite friends to my dimensions from any of my characters would be lovely.

Locking:
    I'm on the fence about the locking feature, I support and see a need to lock premade buildings in place, but I do feel a bit hesitant about locking everything down. It is listed as a Technology Heavy Request in the list and that always worries me about possible bugs. There are currently work arounds with the use of the Tinker Tools addon by selecting just the premade building and save it as a set in the event you accidentally pick it up while decorating, you can just load it back in.

When it comes to favorites, I just add my favorite builders to my Friends list on every shard, and that helps to find them really quickly. But being able to have a favorites list in general is a nice idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    I also dislike the purely quantity-based rating. Many +1 != high quality. Actually, many of the top ranked are simply super old, and get more votes just because more people visit them because of the high ranking.
    Not to insult anyone's quality of work, truly dimensions are an art form and everything is subjective here, but this is true in the fact that a lot of older builds are at the top, and it leads to another reason why we need to have an alternative way of finding dimensions, such as the tagging/category search so we can narrow results down and more players dimensions will be visited regularly instead of the top 5 or 10 who have "the most votes".

Thank you for your consideration.
    Last edited by Nouvae; 06-18-2016 at 02:29 PM.

One more big one that I've heard a lot of complaints about and have lots of trouble with myself:

UI Requests-2016-06-22_151600.jpg
    Can you see the object I have selected in this image? Me either!

The XYZ movement arrows are too big and too opaque, they often block the item we are trying to select, even trying to see what we're doing from all angles using the freecam. It would be really helpful if the arrow size could scale along with the item size, or if the arrows were transparent.

Dimensions on Faeblight by Holly * Hawthorn * Ivy

General of Telara

Yea indeed, a kingdom for simple 2D line handles of constant size and thickness like pretty much every 3D content creation software on this planet has
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

I thought of another UI request!

Can the Tempest Bay/Draumheim dimension items please appear in the Rift Store like other dim items? It's a pain to have to keep running to those vendors while building.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bridgestew; 06-25-2016 at 04:03 PM.

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14
    Shiny Ball of Doomy Doom Salvatrix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bridgestew View Post
    Can the Tempest Bay/Draumheim dimension items please appear in the Rift Store like other dim items? It's a pain to have to keep running to those vendors while building.
    A reasonable request. If you can post the names of the NPC merchants in question, it'll facilitate making this a reality.
    An Interested Observer
    #WontBeErased

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say I have no grasp of it what so ever."

Thanks, Tacitus!

Here's what I can think of so far. I hope other folks list the vendors they know about that I'm missing.

Margle Palace:
    Manugo League Store
    The Ghar Store
    Pelagic Order Store
    The Onir Store

Atragarian Well
    Cora

Port Scuddra
    Gulpine

Tempest Bay:
    Mercenary Hudson
    Felissa Scivolo (Artifact Collector)

Sanctum
    Fenric Duboard

Meridian
    Enrinke Shinuas

I also assume those who have access to Calweddi would like to be able to get that stuff on the Rift Store, too. I do not yet have access to those vendors, so I can't list their names.

if Calweddi is on the table, perhaps the Nug Village vendor can be included as well? His name is Nifo.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by bridgestew; 06-30-2016 at 04:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast