• 6 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 5 Post By devanita
  • 2 Post By Wonk
  • 4 Post By Nouvae
  • 4 Post By Laeti
  • 10 Post By BlazingOctopus
  • 1 Post By Nouvae

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Restrict Access to the Dimension Item List

Default Restrict Access to the Dimension Item List

Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post

A permissions controlled means of hiding the dimension item list from visitors
    Hi, I wanted to see about the status of closing the dimension items list off to visitors, I think it's an important item on the dimension request list and it's been over a year since the last time we heard anything about it.

To recall the original request was for the item list to be closed off to visitors and only view-able to the owner and whomever the owner has given edit permissions to.

I've been finding copying more frequently since I've been back from break and it's upsetting to the community in a number of ways. There have been multiple forum topics and blog posts on this subject, a few I could find:

Help Me Out Here
    This is Stupid
    Dimension Cloning
    The Last Straw
    Copying and Etiquette
    How Close is Too Close?

Please consider bringing attention to this soon, thank you.

Long overdue
    Odintia Amymone Sagie Tantalos Odinscloth Odininchains Odinsbelt Odinstunic OdinsHelm

It has been Fun most of all a learning experience that i am sure will never end .
    Odin Tea Ah 2016.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

+1 on this topic from me.

Some people like having the item list open, others do not. One doesn't really need an addon or the item list to copy, but without access to the item list, they have to work at it a bit harder.

Once upon a time, before the item list was opened up for people to see what was used, a conversation might actually start, and the foundation of a friendship built. Now, it's just click and look. For an unscrupulous few, it's click, look, then take. I get that we don't own what's in our dimensions, but damn, it still sure feels like theft.

Or, if the ability to open the item list can't be toggled from the permissions, or won't be closed off completely (which I fully support), how about removing the ability to select items with the list open, or remove the ability to select multiple items through the item list in a dimension where someone doesn't have editing permissions.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I'd love it if you could actually toggle the item list on/off (or just base permissions on the same boxes as it's now for access and place/pick up - just add the "view item list" check box).

I'd also support any kind of external (since you cannot name&shame here) list of confirmed copies.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+1 I completely agree that changes need to be made here. Being inspired by something another player has come up with is one thing; going into their dimension and being able to -without permission- group select all of the items used in a complex structure or other creation and save it as a set to load up for your own personal use is quite another. There are quite a few instances of this happening and it simply was not possible to this extent before the item list was made open to visitors.

As for solutions to this issue, I agree with Feendish's assessment; if permissions to access the item list cannot be made into an on/off toggle, then disabling the ability to select items from within it, or at least to select multiple items at once, would be great too.

Dimensions on Faeblight by Holly * Hawthorn * Ivy

If only to stop cookie-cutter dimensions, which I see a fair amount, restrict the list. Imitation is suppose to be flattery, but the creative magic is gone when you see the same stuff in multiple builds from different players, never knowing who was the original designer.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

I just wanted to add, having the new Artifacts for treasure hunts is wonderful, but if I wanted to host a little scavenge hunt in my dimension and give away a prize its kind of pointless because the searcher can just click the artifact item in the list and find it so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    I'd love it if you could actually toggle the item list on/off (or just base permissions on the same boxes as it's now for access and place/pick up - just add the "view item list" check box).
    I believe that is how it would work without the need for an extra toggle on and off, because when you toggle move/place/pickup access for Friends etc, that will allow access to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    I just wanted to add, having the new Artifacts for treasure hunts is wonderful, but if I wanted to host a little scavenge hunt in my dimension and give away a prize its kind of pointless because the searcher can just click the artifact item in the list and find it so easily.
    I completely forgot about the artifacts but yes, it's kinda pointless to host any event with those when you can just select them in the list.

That is, besides the fact that copying is only okay when it's a shared set the owner deliberately puts out there for other people to use; while copying someone's work without a permission is a clear offense. There's +1s and compliments, stealing something isn't flattering, it's insulting.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Rift Team

Default Listening

Consider yourselves heard! No promises (this octopus is not an engineer) but we'll see what we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingOctopus View Post
    Consider yourselves heard! No promises (this octopus is not an engineer) but we'll see what we can do.
    Thank you for hearing us

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    Thank you for hearing us
    If this could come to light , many would concider building again.
    Most of us who have made this a topic are red tier - to silver , the only reason I bring this up is the fact why some of us feal like it's theft, furthermore many of us gladly spent out way there to enjoy our cookies, yet we did not get there to find the plate empty and Santa shot,...sorry if that was to much .
    Odintia Amymone Sagie Tantalos Odinscloth Odininchains Odinsbelt Odinstunic OdinsHelm

It has been Fun most of all a learning experience that i am sure will never end .
    Odin Tea Ah 2016.

+ Reply to Thread