Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Tuasemper
  • 1 Post By Artewig
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 1 Post By Tuasemper
  • 2 Post By Arwhen

Thread: Building Outside Of Perimeters

Default Building Outside Of Perimeters

Hi. I've been telling my 9 yr old son not to build outside of the dims green barriers because I don't want him to lose any items. I'm assuming those perimeters are set for a reason. I know you can go outside of that barrier at times though, like a glitch. But is it a good idea to actually build outside of that green wall?

For example, he showed me Mizae's dim called The Secret Beneath The Oasis on WB, & we want to know if they started building up in the sky & just made different ground lvls all the way down to the original ground level, or if they built outside of the green wall that much.

Or if Diva is reading, when you made the Adam's Family, in order to have a basement there you built up in the air first then built down to the original ground level, right?

Any info would be appreciated. Thank you!
    NEW DISCOVERIES (9/2015) on Greybriar by Elleeander

You can build there if you want, but Trion has pretty much said they're not responsible for any lost items as a result of that.

So I wouldn't say it's a "good" idea, but you can if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrionBrasse
    We are absolutely a service industry and you're only as good as your last contact with the customer.

You can put items slightly outside the green wall it's no biggie, but putting them completely outside the dimension border isn't a good idea at all. They mentioned it may cause server issues of some sort. Besides, it might cause your items to get lost or moved inside randomly after zoning/logging out.

So yeah, it's better to keep the building inside the green wall since it's exactly why it's there ;)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Ok, thank ya'll! That's pretty much what I figured, but he really wanted a second opinion. Lol. Both of you answered it very well. He says thank you, he understands.

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuasemper View Post
    Or if Diva is reading, when you made the Adam's Family, in order to have a basement there you built up in the air first then built down to the original ground level, right?
    Hi, Tuasemper. Yes, I did place my building level way above the base dimension floor in the Addams Family Mansion so I could have a basement, but all of my items are well within the dimension borders. Lots of people love to build outside the borders but I prefer not to because I believe what the devs have told me about it using extra resources (both server side and on my own PC) to handle the dimension loading and rendering. Also, most builds with areas beyond the borders just let all the ugly unfinished underneath stuff show ... it's like seeing a dimension's underwear!

Note: When I built this, I did not know about entry points needing to be placed on the dimension floor to prevent visitors from falling underneath a build. My entry point is way above the dimension floor, on my build level, and sometimes visitors fall underneath my build (I use a pvp flag to solve the problem but it's a lame solution). Edge of Infinity is particularly problematic with entry points. I suggest entry point testing early in a project. Just an FYI.

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Ok, thank you. That's very helpful. My son was getting a bit too big for his britches, & was insisting he can build way out of the wall. Reading this, he sees how to do it now, & knows to stay inside. You know kids though. Their 1 yr of playing it means they know more than your 3. Lol. After reading that it may cause server issues, his eyes got big & he said oh no way. I'm not doing that then. I didn't know about the entry point bug. Good to know. ;)

My answer is redundant with those above, but I still wanted to add something. While it is true that I am against the building outside the zone, and without even thinking about technical problems incurred is first and foremost because the maximum number of items Tier 5 is already sufficiently limited that to more disperse our items on portions of land outside the zone which will not in any way not visible to all. That said, I sometimes ask some items just after the zone boundary for not too sharp a break of scenery and spoil the fun of the visit. In terms of dimensional entry points, it is very true that sometimes it is quite time consuming to find the right height for the place, too high gives a strange feeling when entering the dimension, and too low, there is the risk of passing through the scenery. For example, in my dimension: The Last Pub Before ... on Brisesol, as I built the height dimension (but within the zone boundaries), I placed the point of entry to about +/- 20 inches higher than the road. It still happens that one or the other player (I think it is the variety of possible configurations of PC) pass still in the decor. They are their only out to get again, there is no miracle. To build upwards, several options are possible, but in my opinion it is better to erect a ramp to the required level to build the bottom of the dimension and place the entry point. Then recovering the ramp and we are hard at work to start our dimension in the best conditions. A tool that many people I talk to do not like using the free camera view, I would strongly advise. It allows you to see the current building from all angles and thus to correct the defects, and helpful tip, it also allows recovery of the missing elements in or under the decor (by moving a whole, for example). Happy building!

Quote Originally Posted by Arwhen View Post
    I sometimes ask some items just after the zone boundary for not too sharp a break of scenery and spoil the fun of the visit.
    That's a good way to put it. I agree.

The Last Pub Before ... on Brisesol, as I built the height dimension (but within the zone boundaries), I placed the point of entry to about +/- 20 inches higher than the road.
    We'll check that out. Thanks for sharing an example.

A tool that many people I talk to do not like using the free camera view, I would strongly advise. It allows you to see the current building from all angles and thus to correct the defects, and helpful tip, it also allows recovery of the missing elements in or under the decor
    I'm one of the ones who don't like it. My son is very good with it. He zips that thing all over the place to put something somewhere. I can never seem to get the dedgum thing to sit still long enough in just the right spot. And I can never quite seem to find that either. I'm almost done with my 2nd dim & have started on a 3rd. I've been giving that free camera another go in that one so I can get the building just right. For that one, I feel like I'm the one at the reins. But in the 2nd one, it just kept taking me to places I didn't want to go so I quit using it in there.

My son has had to use it quite a few times to retrieve something beneath. <shoots son the stink eye> Prob why he's so good at using it. That was mainly when he was 8 though. <so he gets a partial stink eye then>

No worries at all about seeming redundant. I liked what you added also very much. You may have been adding something similar but you def added a different perspective.

+ Reply to Thread