+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 4 Post By captaincursor
  • 4 Post By captaincursor

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: I want to make quest instances

Default I want to make quest instances

Please please please please please.

General of Telara

Great idea. I'm all for it.
    Korvac the conquerer.

It's already a quest... to build something worth a damn.

I Rift, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    It's already a quest... to build something worth a damn.

I want to make a quest/dungeon instance of a conference of the Ascended that gets filled with trolls that we can slaughter.

That is just one example of the many amazing quest instances I would create. Only thing missing would be voice acting, but if I can do everything else, it would fantastic.

You wouldn't find me spending much on dimensions alone, but with this, I'd be seriously urged to pony up the cash.

If something like this was implemented, it would be a huge area for all kinds of exploits and abuse, I'd imagine.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    If something like this was implemented, it would be a huge area for all kinds of exploits and abuse, I'd imagine.
    For what?

Let us make our fluff rewards for fluff things. I'm not asking "Let me make a dungeon that will give highly relevant rewards for players wanting to progress their character's stats."

I'm not even asking for a Cryptic-style thing here.

Just more creativity with the technology for our already existing player-made instances (aka dimensions).

They've been inching there. More interactables, full structures, and NPCs that are stationary or wander.

I just want a big jump
    Last edited by Maeloda; 05-05-2016 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    For what?

Let us make our fluff rewards for fluff things. I'm not asking "Let me make a dungeon that will give highly relevant rewards for players wanting to progress their character's stats."

I'm not even asking for a Cryptic-style thing here.

Just more creativity with the technology for our already existing player-made instances (aka dimensions).

They've been inching there. More interactables, full structures, and NPCs that are stationary or wander.

I just want a big jump :)
    No no of course I don't mean any high end rewards, this would be silly lol.
    But then, what rewards exactly?

Like, even if somehow making actual interactive instances with quest givers and interactive items, was possible - what rewards would you give? XP? Fluff? What kind of fluff? Something already existing in the game, or some completely new things created specifically for this kind of dimensions? How would you 'earn' these rewards to give them away in the first place? What level of interactive items would you need? There are lvl1 critters and lvl 65 raid bosses, how would you limit it? If a lvl 10 touring alt walks into your dim and gets an unexpected kill from a lvl 50 mob, and then sends a report for offensive player creations, how would you deal with it? And that's like, just a few questions that came to mind:)

You need to either provide all the details (what exactly do you want, and how it's supposed to work, according to you), or answer all those questions for yourself. Not to mention that not everything you see in the game is actually possible to add into a player created instance.

It's not meant to discourage you in any way - I personally love the idea of adding more "meaning" and life to dimensions:) Just not sure that letting players create questlines and instances is a viable option:)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

The dimensions "artifacts" on PTS are actually a good start to this idea, depending on how they might finish the implementation of it--if you want to do a scavenge type, or gather type quest. I would imagine the cost of those shinies, since they're a stackable, consumable buff that grants no stats, would become prohibitive fairly quickly, however. For large scheduled events with your guild, however, something like that would probably be a blast.

Kill quests and carnage type might create problems, especially for those little random tourists. I levelled all my tourists to 10 so I can +1, not to 65 so I can defeat monsters. I have this image in my head of a lowbie tourist getting faceplanted by a dimension Akylios, and it doesn't really sound appealing.

I'm not against the idea at all--I think it's great, and even items like pvp banners and start points could be used to create your own portal effects. The biggest thing I wonder about is how the system could deal with whatever random design someone might come up with in a setting as customizable as Rift's. As it is, pathing NPCs that already exist don't recognize player created collision.

Perhaps it could be implemented through some kind of kit not unlike the pvp kits, but I wonder how restrictive a dimension quest kit would be and how much creativity it would stifle--my biggest personal gripe about premade buildings, modules, and NPCs. Of course, I could be wrong there, because many of the pvp items--specifically start points and banners--have done a great deal to add creativity, not take away from it.

Moreover, I would rather see existing bugs and glitches resolved before adding new bugs and glitches (just my opinion), as something like this would almost certainly have special quirks.

Sorry my two cents turned into thirty seven dollars and change...
    Last edited by Feendish; 05-05-2016 at 01:27 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

We'd also like something like this. And this was one of the features we investigated during the early days of Storm Legion, including some even crazier tricks with path finding and walk meshes. Unfortunately the engineering time necessary to make it happen wouldn't fit into the time we needed. So we went with dimensions as they are now so we could at least have something that allows players to express their creativity and artistry in the game. Even if it wasn't perfect.

Occasionally we'll come up with some bright idea as to how we can do something along those lines. But either it's technically harder (or really longer on the schedule) and it gets bumped off, or it relies on other features, and well that starts to get into the sausage making aspects of all this.

In the end this is a feature that many of us here would like. But it's a such a large project that touches a fair amount of complex systems and processes that it is unlikely to be in the game anytime soon. But of course, we said that about Planetouched Wilds too didn't we?

Telaran

Captaincursor have you guys thought about making a random room dungeon? I played Anarchy Online and they had this system. You would pull a mission from a terminal and it would send you to a location and an instance would be randomly generated. It was one floor for single players and multiple floors for teams. Could help break up the months of the same dungeons over and over and you wouldn't have to worry about dialogue, the mission could be to just wipe out a base in the... wherever.

Could also set this up for dimensions. Sell the rooms and the enemies. I think that would be a cool idea.

Z
    Zerofate@faeblight

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

We think of many things to try to keep you crazy adventures entertained. Some survive the crucible of development, others don't. This is partly why I'm always so oblique when talking to you folks. But I wanted to assure you all that it wasn't because we didn't want you to have the fun of creating dungeons and quests of your own. I would love to see the type of madness you could come up with.

The day that Rift introduces its version of the Mission Architect from City of Heroes is one I look forward to. I doubt it will ever happen, for the reasons that CC mentioned above, but oh gods, I can dream.

Since that's a hell of a lot more likely to happen than me ever getting demorecording in this game.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

General of Telara

Well I can confirm that path finding on a carefully designed environment is one thing, but on arbitrarily combined dimension items? Nope I don't think a solution that doesn't need massive computation power exists for that.

I'd settle for some more humble things, like make the client notice when NPCs are above the water with something solid below them so they don't swim in the air when placed e.g. on a ship ^^
    Or find the bug that causes Rift to give invalid IDs to addons and omits the next selection update altogether...

If it comes to it, I would accept it as a relatively limited and separate feature compared to dimensions - if it allows a more proper pathing and such to happen. Like obtaining, achieving, and purchasing 'settings' and 'assets', instead of 'dimension items'.

"You have killed the Duck King in the Plane of Life! Now you can turn players into ducks!"
    "You've purchased the slingshot ability with Credits! Now you can fly characters farther into the air than anything else!"
    "You got the Kelari Villager NPC unlocked with platinum! Now you can place X number of Kelari Villagers."
    "You have killed Prince Hylas in Greenscale Blight Raid/Chronicle! Now he can be placed as an enemy following Easy, Normal, and Expert rules! (similar to raid version but again with any limitations that would account for the feature; no super special routines)"

All of this stuff more tightly/constrainingly tested compared to dimensions. I can dream about this and it'll feel real enough, haha. Thanks for input everyone, and for answering CC.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 05-05-2016 at 08:11 PM.

+ Reply to Thread