+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: organizing your dim items

Telaran

Question organizing your dim items

If you were to organize you dim items would you do it by the dim item list, AH or dimension addicts’ website?

Telaran

Create storage guild banks or storage dims.

Organize them by the type of items.

Certain items like trees, building blocks, houses, etc can easily be stored in guild bank vaults or bank tabs for easier access.

You may want to create a "seaworld" "Furniture" "rare/valuable" etc etc dims, for whatever reason. Always save the key's that you may want to use to create your own dims though and use keys you will never use as your storages.

I have tried various methods of dimension item organization since I jumped into dimensioning. The mailbox "bank", the "dump items on entry point" method, the "hide everything inside the ground" way, as well as some more organized ways of, well, organizing. And by these, I mean guild banks and very neat storage dimensions.

With guild banks and organized storage dimensions, I try to organize by category. I maintain separate tabs in guild banks for separate items - for example, building blocks are on one tab, rocks on another. The same applies with storage dimensions. I have a separate "household items" and "decorations" (these are the categories the items are under in the dimension item log) dimension, as well as other dimensions for trees, Uncle Stan's items, holiday, etc. Banks and organized dimensions have been the most efficient methods for me and I'll list what I think are the pros and cons for both.

Guild Banks
    Pros:
    1. Low upfront cost - guild charter is very cheap and the first tab is free.
    2. Low upgrade cost for 2nd tab - about 300 plat (I think)
    3. Capable of storing up to 10,395 items per tab

Cons:
    1. Cannot directly see the items (difficult for choosing based on size or color - especially for items that dont show in the preview window)
    2. Inhibits shard transfers - if you want to keep your guild banks with your main builder, your building account becomes locked to the shard with the banks, in the sense that transferring guilds across shards requires complete emptying of the bank vaults.
    3.Lower number of "unique" dimension items can be stored per tab - 105 items per tab, as opposed to a possible 2.5k items in a storage dimension
    4. Constantly mailing items to alt or having to use a shard vault - both take a lot of time.

Storage Dimensions
    Pros:
    1. Can directly see the items, including their size, scale, color changes (helps with the creative process, depending on how you build)
    2. Can see the amount of light that lighting items provide
    3. Quick access to items - no character hopping required
    4. Coolness factor and sense of satisfaction! (see image for clarification)

Cons:
    1. Initial upfront cost - 150 plat for key slot + whatever you pay, or don't pay, for the key
    2. High upgrade costs
    3. Limited item count compared to guild banks
    4. Loss of a key slot and dimension key - in the sense that its one slot less that you can build on and one key you can't use to build.
    5. Laziness - you might not always feel like placing items in an organized manner, which leads to piles of items in one corner.

organizing your dim items-2016-04-28_065652.jpg

(Hope this wasn't too much of a crazy wall of text)

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I think storage really depends on an individual's preferences of organizing.

On NA shards, I maintain three guild banks (5 tabs) for storage, not counting what those alt GMs have in their own banks--but only one has a lot of extra vault tabs.

The first guild bank has all of those items that I use a lot of--rocks, trees, building modules and some DW effects and lights. That character's personal bank has my most commonly used decorative items, all of my building blocks (I also do all of my building on this character because it's easy for consolidation, and after 70+ dimension builds, I've found it works best for my style of building with the added benefit that I'm not trying to squeeze in all those items in my main character's bank), and common furnishings and small plants.

The second guild bank has the stuff I don't use as much--spare keys, magitech items, hunt statues and other NPCs. That alt's personal bank holds all of my world event items barring some of the carnival items. She also holds buildings, VFX I don't use a lot of but like to keep on hand just in case, and my flotilla of boats.

The third guild bank holds elevators, aquatic items, some landscaping pieces like roots and such, the scaffolding parts and any basic overflow of what the other two can't hold.

So my storage works on a scale of what I use the most to what I use the least. It's been set up that way long enough that I have a really good idea of where everything is at, and once a week, I do a general housecleaning to make sure it all stays organized.

On EU, I have one guild bank and all of my little alts on Zaviel hold something, whether it's magitech, spare keys, elevators and other buildings (I don't use premade buildings very often at all, but sometimes, they're nice for things that don't include being a building).

I used to use a storage dimension set up with a couple of Castle Fortunes and an Anywhere. Honestly, this method for me was just too much to keep track of. I could never remember where something was when I wanted it, and I usually just lost patience and bought the item off the shop--and never mind that I might have 25 sitting in a storage dim.

At this point also, those dimension slots are more useful to me left empty so I can build in them. I have one character at 20/20, a second at 19/20, another at 17/20, another at...you get the idea. All the dimensions that I used to use for storage now have completed builds in them because I needed those keys. The Anywhere is still a testing dimension, but I generally only store loyalty items in it now.

If someone were to look at all my crap, they would probably suggest I get professional help, and then admit to being totally lost as to being able to find anything, but it works for me, which is the most important part. Your storage has to work for you.

I will say that one advantage of the guild vaults is that I don't have to rush out and spend 990 credits to add personal vault storage, or extend vault space, especially when it's not account wide. Yes, the 4500 plat for the fifth tab is a chunk, but I look at it as an investment that's well worth it.

Sorry for the wall of text!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Prophet of Telara

I have one alt dedicated to keeping storage dimensions... I currently have 11 storage dimensions (some on level 5, some on 4 or less) sorted by category, and the dimensions itself are tidy too. all but one are there to share those items with my whole guild, so keeping those in my bank or in a personal guild bank just wouldn't do - and it helps in my building process when searching items for a build (seeing them, turning them in all angles, rescaling, sinking into the ground...)

Those items I need frequently myself, are too valuable to share without asking permission first or that I spent a lot of money/credits/time on, just didn't fit in the storage dimensions anymore + some soul/accbound are in my personal bank from my main builder, and I have a bank in my bags so I can access them easily while building.

I started with messy storage dumps, but organizing them (and keep them that way!) saves just sooo much time, so I don't have to search for them while building. if it's not in that particular dimension, I'm definitely out of those items. The cleaning up of bags after building takes more time though, but it's worth it ;-)

The dimensions I chose are usually some that make sorting easy (anywhere, infinity gate, edge of infinity, cascades, octus monastery, ...), with one exception (shoreward island) - that one is just a pain in the *** to have as storage dimension. but since it's my "ships and sea"-storage, it was kind of fitting ;-)

I just wish I was that tidy at home

p. s.: if you don't spread the items around too much so you have to ride half of the time cleaning up your bags, it's easy to just copy/paste items on each other with dt, this makes it much more bearable ;-)
    Last edited by Maegwynn; 04-28-2016 at 01:22 PM.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

I use two ways: dimensions and personal bank. I don't have the shared bank vault but I do have an alt with its own solo guild (and a vault) but so far I've only been keeping crafting stuffs in there because the alt has a profession I don't have on the main.

So, for dimension storage:

I did kind of screw up when I set the storage dims on my main. They currently keep 2 slots occupied and problem is, one of them is a max tier Dormant core (almost full), so if I were to transfer those items to an alt, that would take at least 3 dims or one huge max tier dim (and I'm not quiet ready to spend credits on upgrading another 2520 dim just to throw stuffs in there).

If you're only thinking about setting up a storage dim - I recommend you do it on an alt. You get 2 free slots, and even free dim keys if enough loyalty; upgrading most of the dims to t2-t3 is pretty cheap, and you'd only need to find a place for bound items.

I don't really sort the storage dims by item type, I just try to keep similar items in separate piles. Like, all greenery goes to that corner, all furniture to that one, and all lights got over there etc. Still have the "I'll just drop it right here at the entry point" ****pile but at least trying to throw them a couple feet away so I don't get stuck in a statue on my next zone in.

That's for items I don't have in huge stacks, and huge items like houses and large decorations. Those go into the personal bank, that's mostly building blocks, houses, projectors, event items etc. My bank is also half-loaded with gear and fluff.

One piece of advice for a storage dimension: never keep loud music boxes in there, just throw them in the bank. Right now (due to lack of bank space) I have Siren song music box and a number of Fae Yule music boxes in my storage. It's a disaster if you play with game sound on. Especially considering I don't just toss items in the dim and leave - just going through the item list takes a lot of time, and then sometimes I'd start morphing stuff and playing around with items to see if I could use them, anyways - just keep the music out of the dim. Trust me.

I also have a Take a Penny dimension set on an alt, that's where everything I don't use goes from boxes I open or any other overflow. There's quiet a lot of those dims on my shard right now, but when I opened mine, there was only two and they were both full. A Take a Penny dim is always good to have both for disposal or whenever you need some of the "I'd never use that" items. It's also where you can drop off any of your bound items since only you would be able to pick them up (that is, if taking space and annoying other people doesn't bother you ;)).
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Disciple

I organize demented items on 3 builder toons, 1 guild bank and numerous drop off dimensions. My builders are organized by "build order" thusly: Toon 1, building blocks/ landscaping; Toon 2, large decorations, furniture & pools; Toon 3, small decoorations/ lighting. I prefer toon storage because they are mobile and can readily access their bank vault while building. The guild bank holds effects, minion boxes, and item stacks and serves as a brief loading/ unloading zone. My main and Alts drop off all donated, seasonal and minion junk in various storage dims which are organzied by memory since the contents of each shed change frequently.

Since I prefer not to spend my game time neatly arranging items in a storage shed, this method suits me fine. I use item lists with my 3 builders whenever I need to make room in a storage shed.

I am ashamed to admit it but I'm a compulsive collector. So I created the storage dimensions of my alts (number 9). Each dimension receive an object type. There are to me too often happened in the past to buy items that I know have, but I never knew where I had stored. My stocks are well organized (Each dimension is at Tier 5)

1) STOCK - Small decorations 1
    2) STOCK - Small decorations 2
    3) STOCK - Large decorations
    4) STOCK -Lighting (Here I store an object on the ground and the other in the air to avoid being blinded)
    5) STOCK - Winter (Anything with a little bit of snow or frost)
    6) STOCK - Effects Dreamweaver (by adding clocks, etc.)
    7) STOCK - Plants
    8) STOCK - Trees
    9) STOCK - Rocks
    10) STOCK - Walls (all walls, fences, pillars ...).
    11) STOCK - Furniture
    12) STOCK - Real Estate
    13) STOCK - Aquatic (plants, rocks, boats)
    14) STOCK - Carpets and fabrics
    15) STOCK - Construction (walls, doors, windows, floors, stairs, etc ...)
    16) STOCK - Transit (To empty my bags awaiting classification by type)
    17) STOCK - related objects (not to mix them with free objects)
    18) Guild Dimension STOCK - Wooden Blocks
    19) 1 Chest Guild - Mineral Blocks
    20) 1 personal Chest - NPC, projector and precipitators

When I put my objects, I do it with DIMENSION TOOLS, it allows me to stack lezs objects so as not to leave a single apparent. This way everything is clear and visible, there is no overload that prevents see everything, and if I give something, I just have to look in the list of how many objects of a type I have. Well, but I hope everyone is not as sick as me !!!!

Below are some screenshots to illustrate my point

organizing your dim items-2016-04-29_142552.jpgorganizing your dim items-2016-04-29_142650.jpgorganizing your dim items-2016-04-29_143613.jpgorganizing your dim items-2016-04-29_144103.jpg

Oh dear...
    Now you made me have to go over ALL my many storage dimensions to make them look as neat and tidy as yours...
    Dammit...

Lightbulb Add-on

I have been juggling with the thought of creating an add-on that will index storages and dims that works across chars, accounts and shards, so that you can lookup/search how much you have and where of a certain item. Similar to Imhothar's Bags, but for dim items only.

As of right now, I think this is a little bit too much of a challenge for a first add-on. I'm willing to contribute (design, write, test), if someone is willing to take up this idea and create a base to get it to a release faster.

Maybe this could be a nice expansion for Tinker Tools v2?
    -- xcal

General of Telara

Trust me, you're not the first one to think about a dimension inventory addon, but the main reason it doesn't exist is because there is no way to identify a dimension, nor do the items inside keep a unique ID between visits.
    So you would have to manually save the dimension inventory each time you change something, and I didn't feel like putting a lot of work into an addon that is cumbersome to use.

And no, I wouldn't put it into Tinker Tools, it just has nothing to do with dimension editing and would not share much code anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    there is no way to identify a dimension, nor do the items inside keep a unique ID between visits.
    Manually entering a dimension name/identifier beats manually tracking items and I wouldn't be interested in unique IDs, just item count and location.

So you would have to manually save the dimension inventory each time you change something
    I am aware of this restriction, but would still favour that over tracking items myself. Just like Indiana's Artifact Catalogue of Doom, it is a lot of work to set up, especially when you have multiple characters with a lot of completed sets and you do have to keep track of artifacts, but it still beats doing this outside of the game in a spreadsheet.

and I didn't feel like putting a lot of work into an addon that is cumbersome to use.

And no, I wouldn't put it into Tinker Tools, it just has nothing to do with dimension editing and would not share much code anyway.
    Fair enough, I thought it could turn it into the swiss knife of dimension tools.
    -- xcal

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by xcal1 View Post
    Manually entering a dimension name/identifier beats manually tracking items and I wouldn't be interested in unique IDs, just item count and location.
    Sure it would be better than nothing, and I won't put anyone off from doing it, but still, it's more work for less comfort just because we have no owner information. And who knows, when you're finally done with it, Trion might decide to revamp dimension item storage anyway, like they did with wardrobe.
    Hence I was not willing to put the work into it.

One thing you can do is just set up your storages according to the item types (blocks, greenery, buildings, furniture etc) - at least this way you'll know you only have to visit a greenery storage to see if you have the trees you want and not search the entire hoard only to get lost somewhere between bahmi tables and marble poles.

*I am too lazy to actually do it myself, but I regret it every single time I have to go through 2500 items in my main storage to see if I have anything I might use lol
    Last edited by Laeti; 05-04-2016 at 10:13 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Prophet of Telara

I had this kind of dump before, and although I'm not very tidy in RL, it was well worth the effort of organizing dimension items that way :-) It saves SOOOOO much time! And as Laiti said... I only have to check one dimension (or two-three, if I count the storages I have access to from other people who keep their storages in categories too), so an addon wouldn't even help in keeping track...
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast