+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: time of day only working outside of my building?

Default time of day only working outside of my building?

Hello all, so I am having issues with the time of day working inside of my building, however it seems to work outside fine, but once you cross the thresh hold of my building it just goes back to the default dimension time of day..I really want this to work all through the dimension, any suggestions /ideas would be helpful. thank you

Also I have tried numerous projectors and they just are not bringing this place to life in color wise as I wanted, so I decided to go with 5am, I dont know if that matters, perhaps I need to try another one and put it inside the building as well as outside?
    "I've had so many names, old names that only the wind and trees can pronounce" - Pan's Labyrinth

ToD have a limited radius where they work. So, when your dimension is large, area wise, it will not be able to cover all of it.

Only one ToD will work, the one that was placed last.

I ran into this issue myself and there is no real solution other than not use one, or keep everything within the ToD's radius.

Also, I haven't tried this myself, maybe a weather blocker is causing the effect you are experiencing.
    -- xcal

Not sure if anything has changed as of late but I've been having issues with ToD even in small dims. I'm currently building in Dolcega, normally one ToD item should cover the whole area without any issues, but it bugs out even more than usually.

Note that I'm only using it for building process. I have to pick it up and place back down every time I zone into a dimension for it to work. Even after that, it would flicker. It has nothing to do with vfx items I have in the dim (there's not many yet, even the total item count is rather low at this point).

So after multiple pick-up-put-back-down and even zoning in/out and relogging didn't help (it would still flicker like crazy although I've placed it right in front of me), I just threw in an Always Sunny skybox for the time I'm building it.

Certainly not using any tod items even for building until this gets fixed. Since the news on Systems team (hint hint) maybe we could get an update on this ;)
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

General of Telara

Stupid questions, do you have shadows disabled?
    At least in Faen's Retreat I know the game "fakes" indoor lighting when you have shadows disabled. Unconvincingly, yes, but dimensions without shadows don't look nice either way IMO.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MissGreen View Post
    Hello all, so I am having issues with the time of day working inside of my building, however it seems to work outside fine, but once you cross the thresh hold of my building it just goes back to the default dimension time of day..I really want this to work all through the dimension, any suggestions /ideas would be helpful. thank you

Also I have tried numerous projectors and they just are not bringing this place to life in color wise as I wanted, so I decided to go with 5am, I dont know if that matters, perhaps I need to try another one and put it inside the building as well as outside?
    What building is it? Some of the buildings, like the Stonefield Chapel and Sanctuary of Rebirth act almost like separate instances (i.e, no rested xp, the unusual noises), and a ToD may not work inside. This has seemed to be the case when I've experimented with my own copies of those buildings. I think when they cut the buildings out of the world to use in a dimension, they cut the whole thing, lock, stock, funky noises and all. As was said earlier, you'll notice the same effect if you're using a weather blocker (I don't know what projector you're using, so I don't know if you need a blocker or not)

If it's a building in an existing dimension, such as Faen's Retreat, Temple of the Abandoned, etc, ToD and projectors tend not to react in the same way over things that are added. Not quite sure why that is, but it strikes me as a bug, and should probably be reported as such.

As was said earlier, ToD don't stack, so whatever you put in last will be the one that takes effect within the radius of the ToD.

Another thing I've noticed since the last patch when the green lip thing was fixed (hopefully ™), a lot of lights and effects seem to take a really long time to render in a dimension, particularly ToD and sky projectors. This has mostly been with multicore off, because I toggle back and forth between on and off, and sometimes (a lot of times), I forget to turn it back on after it's been off.

I also don't know what settings you normally play on, but try pegging everything out to see if there's any change, and--if you can't sustain really high graphic settings--periodically turn them up to see how it looks. I tried building on my old toaster a while back, and if I went above medium, I couldn't do anything but stand in one spot, but I could get an idea of how things might look when I was back on my normal system. The difference between LQR and ultra is pretty dramatic--or even LQR and medium.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Feendish; 05-01-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Default yes, wacky ToD lately

In the last week, I've had wonky ToD in a Shoreward Island build. It is fairly compact so not a huge amount of land to cover and for the last month it was perfect. However..now if I walk past a certain spot...it goes back to default time ...then continue walking, and back to my ToD (of 8pm) It's like there's a zone of non-ToD compliance >.<

I've tried switching my settings and no difference. Also, I picked up the projector and a few lights/particle pieces near the line of change and...no difference. It is really odd (and bumming me out b/c this is my upcoming contest build! lol /sigh)
    Blythe & Iko - Vigil - Rooted Hideaway - Waterfalls Pub
    Blythe - Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by BlytheElf View Post
    In the last week, I've had wonky ToD in a Shoreward Island build. It is fairly compact so not a huge amount of land to cover and for the last month it was perfect. However..now if I walk past a certain spot...it goes back to default time ...then continue walking, and back to my ToD (of 8pm) It's like there's a zone of non-ToD compliance >.<

I've tried switching my settings and no difference. Also, I picked up the projector and a few lights/particle pieces near the line of change and...no difference. It is really odd (and bumming me out b/c this is my upcoming contest build! lol /sigh)
    That's actually why I try to avoid possibly buggy items in contest builds. You never know how it might work for the visitor and if it's actually working for you not against you.

That said, contest judges are usually aware of all possible issues with vfx and other items like that so they have no problem zoning in/out etc to get the best result (if it's not possible they would probably text you and tell about any bugs). Or at least that's what I did in my judging experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    That's actually why I try to avoid possibly buggy items in contest builds. You never know how it might work for the visitor and if it's actually working for you not against you.

That said, contest judges are usually aware of all possible issues with vfx and other items like that so they have no problem zoning in/out etc to get the best result (if it's not possible they would probably text you and tell about any bugs). Or at least that's what I did in my judging experience.
    Definitely good advice (to avoid for a contest build!) I'm such a sucker for the lighting effects (the crafted ones) I love turning the whole dim down a bit to use them all over and draw attention to certain details ..I need to learn to go au naturale :P lol Worst case in this one is, the bar is open during the day instead of night (and, who doesn't like a little day-drinking now and then? lol)

Would love to have ToD consistent though
    Blythe - Faeblight

Definitely good advice (to avoid for a contest build!) I'm such a sucker for the lighting effects (the crafted ones) I love turning the whole dim down a bit to use them all over and draw attention to certain details ..I need to learn to go au naturale :P lol Worst case in this one is, the bar is open during the day instead of night (and, who doesn't like a little day-drinking now and then? lol)

Out of curiosity, have you tried restarting the client?

Once upon a time when the green lip was upon us, restarting was a frequent occurrence. I think recently many of us have gotten out of the habit, but it may still help, particularly if you've gone for long periods without it.

It may not fix anything, but it can't hurt.

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Out of curiosity, have you tried restarting the client?

Once upon a time when the green lip was upon us, restarting was a frequent occurrence. I think recently many of us have gotten out of the habit, but it may still help, particularly if you've gone for long periods without it.

It may not fix anything, but it can't hurt.
    I did..in fact came here posting during the restart. lol. I just rebooted my PC too, entered with different alts to test ...same thing. It is like..an invisible field that poof...goes off..then poof, goes on.

At least my lips aren't green :P
    Blythe - Faeblight

I did..in fact came here posting during the restart. lol. I just rebooted my PC too, entered with different alts to test ...same thing. It is like..an invisible field that poof...goes off..then poof, goes on.

At least my lips aren't green :P
    Hrm. Are you using multicore? Sometimes, that can make things act a little bit wonky. If restarting didn't help, if you're running multicore, maybe try turning it off, and vice versa.

Either way, I'd still recommend a bug report. Hopefully, if enough people report having problems with ToD items, it will get looked at.

Although, I know another person who used Shoreward and had a lot of issues with ToD in there, before all the other issues with it started.

Back on topic, if you're still having problems with ToD and wanting a dark appearance, using a Starry Night projector will give the darkness, and using lights that aren't reliant upon a certain time (non-nightglow) can help. The only thing that would persist in not working would be windows, because all of the window modules are nightglow items. For a dusk-ish appearance, unless you want sun, Heavy Fog might work, or an Air sky (one of the old school planar projectors that no one uses anymore).

Pitch Black would also work, but it really does turn things pitch black and may not be the best solution for a contest build where it would be helpful for the judges to be able to see.

The thing with a lot of sky projectors, too, is that several seem to have a built in ToD that automatically defaults the time to Noon so if you want certain light effects, a ToD is still necessary. Conquest, Starry Night (go figure), Squall and a couple of others immediately spring to mind on that particular irritant.

Baradara@Greybriar

There are many ways to highlight some details without using DW lights ;)
    You can sink some of the physical light items into the surface/walls/etc to get a halo over the detail you need to highlight without physical parts sticking out (actually that's how we used to do it before DW?).

totally appreciate the advice from both of you! thank you! I have done with the multicore on/off..no difference. (I have generally loved the new multi too...my framerates have more than doubled!)

I'm experimenting lol... I'll just request to be visited at the end of the pub crawl..hope the judges have had a few drinks ;) (haha kidding, kidding)

One thing I just realized.. I had a parade float sunken way down...I wanted the funky music that they emit. As I was standing in the dead ToD zone..I realized..the float was under the same place...and not playing! (I play with real life music usually and had it off just now...not sure if the float stopped working a while ago or is recent, like the ToD)

ps- is there a height/depth limitation? I did recently go underwater to place huge boulders and some greywood (to hide stuff...I know SOME people likes to look in hidden places they shouldn't! hah!) ....but thinking I did do that within the last few days. (including sinking a huge mountainside very low)
    Blythe - Faeblight

One thing I just realized.. I had a parade float sunken way down...I wanted the funky music that they emit. As I was standing in the dead ToD zone..I realized..the float was under the same place...and not playing! (I play with real life music usually and had it off just now...not sure if the float stopped working a while ago or is recent, like the ToD)

ps- is there a height/depth limitation? I did recently go underwater to place huge boulders and some greywood (to hide stuff...I know SOME people likes to look in hidden places they shouldn't! hah!) ....but thinking I did do that within the last few days. (including sinking a huge mountainside very low)
    Sinking something shouldn't have too much of an impact. Since the floats have a very limited radius compared to the ToD, maybe try moving the ToD somewhere else?

So far as a hard limit, each dimension has the green bubble, then the absolute boundary of the instance somewhere beyond that (distances may vary). I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think you can put something past that hard boundary. Normally when you go too far, you'll get an error message in the chat and your item will be pushed back inside the bubble or it will vanish and the only way to find it will be through the item list.

Baradara@Greybriar

well, I've further experimented lol..and I think I'm making it worse?

I have removed the projector I had down (sunny) and put the ToD piece within the previous dead zone. Now....what was dead before is the right ToD and the rest of the dim is default. LOL ...maybe I have gremlins..

I think I'll remove the ToD and play with some of your projector suggestions, Feendish. (that, and have a glass of wine lol)
    Blythe - Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast