+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 3 Post By BlazingOctopus
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The Object Distance Blues

Soulwalker

Default The Object Distance Blues

So here are my dilemmas.

Iím more or less building a cavern system inside a mountain.
    Problem is, if any cavern chamber is big enough, it wonít render the walls that are far away- instead it just shows you ďoutsideĒ, totally ruining the cavern effect. Even with my ďobject distanceĒ maxed. (And my PCís a beast; definitely not a resource issue on my end)

Iíd really like to do some ďholy crap this cave is hugeĒ effects, but itís starting to seem like Iím going to have to make everything fairly claustrophobic to not ruin the effect.
    Iím also bummed that I wonít be able to do a panoramic view of the mountain itself from outside- it wonít render any of it at that distance.

Second problem, probably related to the first:
    Terrain paint.
    It doesnít display until Iím basically standing on it, which makes it almost useless in large areas. Am I missing something?

That's the problem with all large dimensions really - whenever you go for a total transformation, be ready for base stuff sticking outta unexpected places or just structures showing only a part of it instead of the whole thing.

The only thing I've found to solve this issue is making sort of visual "barriers" that would appear in close distance from any point of the dim. Might be trees, rocks, ruins, waterfalls - whatever blocks the view that you wish to block.

In your case, you can achieve the wow effect not by building one single cave with high walls and ceiling, but rather by building a complex pathway system that would have those visual obstacles - they might be just turns around the cave walls to let you into the next "room". If the last "room" of this cave is the largest one, as much as the object distance allows, you'd still have the wow effect, but avoid the sudden glitches when walls disappear and you can see the outside. Just find that largest possible distance, when you can still see the walls etc, and build the separated areas of your cave accordingly.

As for the terrain paint, it normally acts like this, but it gets worse if your dim is vfx heavy (the more vfx\interactive objects you have in the dim, the longer it takes for them to render).
    Last edited by Laeti; 04-10-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Soulwalker

Interesting.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to have to do, I think. It's gonna lead to some strange circumstances. I'd still like to do a trail that winds up around the mountain... not sure if that's possible now.

Soulwalker

On the bright side, it looks like one terrain paint in the middle of a "chamber room" will efficiently paint all 6 walls.

5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team

Default Enbiggening

Can I ask which kind of objects you're using that might need to have further visibility? It's likely possible to improve distance visibility. Makes sense with larger objects, to me.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingOctopus View Post
    Can I ask which kind of objects you're using that might need to have further visibility? It's likely possible to improve distance visibility. Makes sense with larger objects, to me.
    The big rocks have huge issues with draw distance. Those I personally know about: Ashoran Mountainsides (Tall, Long, Rectangular) and the Enormous Snowy Glacier Cliff immediately spring to mind. Clump of Deciduous Trees also seems to have a short draw distance. Sometimes the Etched Scarwood Boulder, the Large Pointed Scarwood Boulder, the Ember Isle Angular Boulder (it looks exactly like the Scarwood Boulder) also have issues at long distances.

It's really noticeable in the larger dimensions, especially with intense cover-ups and transformations. Infinity Gate, Dormant Core, Castle Fortune, Anywhere and Mathosian Cascades immediately spring to mind as places where you run into a lot of draw issues because they're so big (that doesn't mean shrink them!).

Thank you for taking a look at this.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

General of Telara

That's interesting, in one of my dimensions I noticed that Necropolis Arch has a lower visibility range than the building blocks, so depending on your object distance setting, the dimension looks odd from the entry point.

After testing a bit, there seem to be two categories, larger structures and building blocks, and "decoration" stuff which includes stuff like smaller bushes.

And yes, it would be cool if trees had a larger visibility range, so we can actually influence the panorama a bit better. And I hope the level-of-detail bug of pine trees (and other things like brevane houses) really gets fixed with 3.6 as promised...

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingOctopus View Post
    Yep!

Originally I was going to build essentially a gigantic cone with the tip clipped off out of various rocks, using Ashora Mountainside pieces as the "base", and I was going to paint it with the Charred Earth Terrain Paint.

The original plan was that then you'd basically fling yourself into the volcano, only to discover an interior network of stone catwalks, huge chambers, and other curiosities.

Needless to say, a number of factors has blocked this from happening. For example, you get to the "lip" of the volcano, and the other side of the opening's too far away to render and it looks like you're standing on top of a big wall. Totally ruined the effect. Same thing with the "standing inside of the huge cavern" effect. The back wall's just not there.

The terrain paint's almost a total fail. Looks really bizarre when you're walking across normal stone and all of a sudden it's like "fwoop!' there's all this lava texturing out of nowhere. Bummed.

I'm planning some workarounds though.

For example, I've noticed that "Tall Ashora Mountainside" is just CRAZY BIG, which is great for me because it gives me one big (rendered) object that's of sufficient size to "serve as an environment". Also really helped me out on my object count.

So, imagine a trail winding around the cone upwards. I think I'm going to try to have "smoke across the path" right at the spot where the next piece has to load in your field of vision, so when you walk through the smoke it's already there. Or maybe something like an Ember Isle Rock Tower that you have to walk through to give it time to load.

I wish there were smoke clouds, or a "smoke canopy" I could use so that when you get to a certain height and look down you don't just see "stock dimension ground" down there where there used to be a forest.

((though what'd be really nice is a "do you want to load the full dimension?" prompt when you enter so ppl can say "yes, I'll have a load bar for a minute in exchange for having it all there"))

Soulwalker

Some of my Ashora Mountainsides are taking so long to load I'm "inside of them" when they do, and I get trapped.

All moutains/ very big rocks suffer from this.
    I had to forget many terraformation builds because of this.
    I tried to use tarken glaciers in Edgestone Ridge and vengeful sky, and they were not showing until you go very close to them, so you can't use them to make a snowy landscape in any dim.
    Same for moutains or ember isle rocks.

Please make all these big rocks useful, they are very beautiful and terraforming is so fun.
    They need to show from far, and to load first.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 05-05-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, ŗ la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

+ Reply to Thread