+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: BUG - Color changing trees

Default BUG - Color changing trees

Some of the tree dimension items have decided they are special snowflakes, and therefore, cannot be the same color. These temperamental trees like to change color depending on location and will surprise you with the various shades they can assume .

Joking aside, I noticed this a while ago but didn't think it was a bug until I did some testing today. This bug has persisted for at least 6 months - most likely far longer. I say 6 months, because that's when I created my tree storage and noted the following:

BUG - Color changing trees-2016-04-04_001214.jpg

I thought it was just an interesting part of the coding - providing us with various shades of trees. However, this is not a problem with the item showing up with the wrong color. The color of the tree is completely dependent on the location within the dimension. If I place the trees in the same exact location, they are the same color; move them and the color changes. The color is not related to proximity of trees - move them together, they change colors together; move a single tree, the single tree changes colors.

When the tree is moved back/forth or side/side the color transitions from green to dark orange/red, eventually returning to green. Moving the trees vertically does not seem to affect the color.

BUG - Color changing trees-sapling.jpg

BUG - Color changing trees-brevane.jpg

I have tested this with different video settings, in different dimensions, after logging/restarting the game, and with other dimensioners. I have tested most of the trees available in the game (don't you love storages? - though it is possible I have missed some) and have found that the following trees are affected:

Leaning Brevane Tree
    Tentacled Brevane Tree
    Enormous Brevane Tree
    Ferny Brevane Tree
    Young Highroot
    Small Slender Tree
    Sapling

Red Tentacled Brevane Tree - may be affected, difficult to tell due to coloration

Rooted Brevane Tree - NOT affected

Fascinating - good catch!
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (50), Prasutagus (32)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

This has actually been around since the start of dimensions.

I, personally, never thought of it as a bug, that you could move certain trees and have them become different colors based upon their location in a dimension. For many types of builds, it comes in very handy to make different variations of foliage.

I would rather see them fix glitching tree trunks on the pines and Twisted Cherry trees, and the clinging juniper bug.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

If all the trees were affected by it, it probably wouldn't really be a bug. There are definitely some trees in the game that would look amazing with autumn foliage.

I've never seen the tree trunk glitches though - maybe I haven't looked hard enough? Do they flicker or is it something else they do?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldsprite View Post
    If all the trees were affected by it, it probably wouldn't really be a bug. There are definitely some trees in the game that would look amazing with autumn foliage.

I've never seen the tree trunk glitches though - maybe I haven't looked hard enough? Do they flicker or is it something else they do?
    Seyler posted on that one some time back:

Hotfix #7 Messed up Models

A lot of the Brevane Houses were broken (I tend to sell those as soon as I get one, just because of my own prejudice against preformed buildings so I never tested that part out), but the thing with the pines, the cherry trees and the clinging juniper is definitely still there. Once they start glitching, the trunks just look insanely ugly, and the juniper transforms into another tree entirely!

Baradara@Greybriar

So, I'm not sure if it's related or not, but here's my 2 cents.

I have both PC that handles high settings (the one I'm building on), and a laptop that only goes on lowest possible without overheating into oblivion. One of the reasons why I stopped building on the laptop completely was that low settings tend to alter the color of certain items to the point when there's no reason to build anything because when you see it on high settings, it will look completely different. Any dimmer knows how important it is to match the colors most of the time, and even the most dedicated probably don't remember the exact colors of all items to build with their eyes closed.

Now there's a number of greenery items (trees included) that change colors depending on video settings. Other items don't, they're identical in both high and low settings, besides the quality of the image itself (detailing etc). Besides the trees listed in the OP, both leaf canopy items have this issue, and some others I can't remember right now.

So perhaps this color changing behavior is somehow related to certain tree/leaf models, while other models aren't affected by anything (maybe they use different shaders or something), and so it's showing more on low settings and on high it only shows when you move them. I'm not sure about it, though, just an observation.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Seyler posted on that one some time back:

Hotfix #7 Messed up Models

A lot of the Brevane Houses were broken (I tend to sell those as soon as I get one, just because of my own prejudice against preformed buildings so I never tested that part out), but the thing with the pines, the cherry trees and the clinging juniper is definitely still there. Once they start glitching, the trunks just look insanely ugly, and the juniper transforms into another tree entirely!
    Those are some rather scary transformations! I'm kinda glad I haven't encountered them lol

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Default Chameleon Trees

Amazing detective work on these trees!
    The color changing foliage in these trees will be fixed, thanks for the great information throughout the thread. Made it really easy to track down.

Ral
    Rift Master

I would prefer you don't fix this, I have an entire dimension I set up that removing this effect will destroy the entire theme. I thought this was a brilliant feature rather then a bug.

Before realizing this I was under the impression only a couple trees were autumn colors because they appeared so in the preview, when I discovered many had this effect I was able to use a variety of them for the dimension, now if they are changed I will pretty much be left with one single tree type that is naturally close to the color I want and have to uproot all the others

Quote Originally Posted by Ral View Post
    . I thought this was a brilliant feature rather then a bug.
    Exactly. I get that different people use these certain trees for different things, but I use the slender trees and saplings a lot as shrubbery because of the leaf pattern and because they are bigger than most actual shrubs. I like the variation in texture of the leaves.

What I don't like, however, are those godawful pine tree trunks, which are a bug no matter how you slice it.

I guess that you really can please some of the people some of the time and none of the people all of the time, but Ral won't be alone in doing major rework to some landscaping because a bug gets fixed after 3+ years--and many didn't think it was a bug to begin with.

Baradara@Greybriar

Shadowlander

Just another vote to please not fix these trees but to leave them as is.

I have never thought of this as a bug, but rather a truly awesome feature. I love these trees and so do some of my friends. We've used them in many many builds and would have to uproot the trees and redesign our areas if these get "fixed".
    I dropped into the game and took a few screenshots of the trees in use. One from the autumn to winter transition of my guild's seasonal dimension, and the other from our Lest we Forget tribute dimension. The one along the fence line is several morphed together to create a whole new tree design and is my favorite tree in that dimension.

If, and only if, this is a bug that somehow hurts the game, then I'm okay with the trees being fixed.
    But if these trees changing color aren't causing any harm, then please leave them the way that they have always been!
    The trees seem to change color depending on what type of ground they are on. Or at least some of my experimenting made it seem that way. When they are on grass etc, they seem green, however if they are on rocks or dirt they seem to 'die' and turn brown.
    I thought this was intended honestly, to reflect the health of the trees according to what terrain they are sitting on which I thought was brilliant and love as a feature.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BUG - Color changing trees-autumn-foliage-along-pathway.jpg   BUG - Color changing trees-morphed-tree-fence.jpg  

12.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Good to hear all the opinions on this, we're going to leave these trees as-is, and make a new set of trees without the color-changing behavior available in a future update.
    Thanks again for the great information.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingOctopus View Post
    Good to hear all the opinions on this, we're going to leave these trees as-is, and make a new set of trees without the color-changing behavior available in a future update.
    Yay! Not only do you have one of the most awesome names EVER, but you've made this Dimensionerd very happy. Thank you!

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingOctopus View Post
    This makes me very happy for two reasons!

1. I won't get lynched by the dimension community (i know, i know, just kidding )
    2. It won't negatively impact other dimensioners and eventually, I'll be able to use those trees in a ring formation without season changes!

I wonder if when the "fixed" trees go live the old ones will get a "bugged" prefix in the store
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast