+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time of Day radius

Default Time of Day radius

I'm using a Time of Day: Midnight and a Starry Night Sky Projector for my current project in Mathosian Cascades and have run into, what I think is, the limit of the Time of Day radius. The problem is that it is way smaller than the dimension.

Come to think of it, I thought the Time of Day was a kind of switch (on/off), but it is an area in which your character needs to be, for the effect to work, at least when it comes to lanterns that are lit.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Is there a work around?

TRION: Can the Time of Day radius be expanded to cover the full range of Mathosian Cascades, or any dimension size?

The workings of this effect is one of the first of the dimension effects that gets bugged (lanterns not being lit). As of late, it only requires having to load all add-ons I like to use (11 of them), this used to take a lot more effort and time for it to manifest.
    -- xcal

ToD items do have a rather small radius, so if you're building in a dim like MC, you'd need to use more than one (usually 2 is enough for a large dim). Bear in mind that ToD is a buggy item and might bug out with the projector or other vfx items (especially if the dim is vfx heavy). Usually re-entering the dim or restarting the client helps with this.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    ToD items do have a rather small radius, so if you're building in a dim like MC, you'd need to use more than one (usually 2 is enough for a large dim).
    What did you do to have this work? I have tried some variations with which of the 2 I put in first (both ToD: Midnight ) and the distance between them, but it seems I can only get one to work and it has to be the first one I placed, and it needs to cover the spawn point. If I place one on the map edge (laterns are lit), and then one near the spawn point (no lanterns are lit), restart the game and reenter the dim, none of the lanterns are lit.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Bear in mind that ToD is a buggy item and might bug out with the projector or other vfx items (especially if the dim is vfx heavy). Usually re-entering the dim or restarting the client helps with this.
    Yes, unfortunately I have to do this multiple times when working on the dim. As grass keeps popping up (buggy mushrooms), lanterns are not lit, even fire disappears from candles and torches.

TRION: What about a Light Switch item that permanently lights the lanterns throughout the dimension? I'm only using the ToD for that specific purpose, as the projector overrides the sky display.
    -- xcal

I didn't do anything really, I never use ToDs as dim vfx, but I do use them a lot while I'm building because it's harder to do at night time:) So in dimensions like 3springs, anywhere, tempest island and such, I usually placed one near the spawn point, mounted up and ran away from it to see when it switches, then I'd run a bit more and just throw another one somewhere in the middle of the "second" zone. Sometimes they wouldn't work so I'd pick them up and throw back down.

What I found for me as a personal workaround is just not use them as a part of the build, and use skyboxes instead. They always work for the whole dim, they give more than just a lighting effect, and there's so many of them you could easily find the one that would be perfect.

As for the lights disappearing from the light source items, it's not connected to tod at all, it's more of the skybox+light sources issue. If you pull out the projector and look at the light sources, you'd see the difference. I've noticed that it "works" with several projectors, sometimes you'd need to get closer to the light source for it to "switch", sometimes lights would just go off. Also don't forget there's a number of light source items that are only meant to be working at night time, so they wouldn't be lit in daytime at all, ToD usually changes it, but since it's pretty bugged, it can do things.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread