+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree240Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Archonix Producer's Letter and Dimensions

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Archonix Producer's Letter and Dimensions

With the new producer's letter posted by Archonix, I wanted to make a post in here to share with you some of the changes that will be in the patch next week and what to expect going forward.

Some of these changes you might have seen over the last few months, as I've read a few posts on the forums about it. In order to help keep Rift around for another five years, we've had to move some of the dimension items off of the older distribution channels and into things like grab bags. While we plan on continuing to support Dream Weaver, you can expect there to be some additional changes in this area as well going forward.

A new grab bag has been added to the Rift Store containing brand new ice building blocks.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited by Morticus; 02-03-2016 at 03:25 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I suppose that more lockboxes for dimensions are to be expected. However, the trend to start putting any kind of building block behind a random grab bag is a bit disheartening. It seems to me that random grab bags are better suited for the new and shiny stuff that you might only need one or two of instead of sixty or seventy or one hundred--that you will never be able to find due to the random nature of a lockbox.

I say this as someone who uses building blocks by the stack--and sometimes by 3 and 4 stacks at a time. Many of those stacks are bought straight off the store because I don't want to take the time to try to hunt up freebies or there just aren't enough freebies for what I need.

The textures for the ice blocks actually look very interesting and useful for a great many purposes.

Thanks for the update.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I definitely agree with Feendish and think the new building blocks would be much better off on the store (as credit only purchases if need be). Or it could even be packaged like the Trove bundle.

Other than that, I definitely look forward to hearing what else is in store for the dimension community in the next year or so! (Oh, btw, are we going to find out what items were moved to the grab bags? Please and thank you )

sad

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

We did actually take building block use into account when we made this last grab bag.

It will give you three random ice building blocks 100% of the time.
    You also have a chance to get a bonus ice building block bundle (say that three times fast) that when opened gives 3-6 extra ice building blocks.

These are also tradeable just like all the other building blocks, so you can trade with your friends to get the shapes you really want.
    Last edited by Morticus; 02-03-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    We did actually take building block use into account when we made this last grab bag.

It will give you three random ice building blocks 100% of the time.
    You also have a chance to get a bonus ice building block bundle (say that three times fast) that when opened gives 3-6 extra ice building blocks.

These are also tradeable just like all the other building blocks, so you can trade with your friends to get the shapes you really want.
    The issue with this is that a lot of people use the same type of block, so my concern is that we'll run into the same issues we have with minion returned blocks--an overabundance of spheres and triangles, but you're scrounging for planks, cubes, tiles and rectangles.

For instance, I recently tore down a build and pulled out 5 stacks of granite planks. Even if I hit up every dim addict on the NA cluster, the chances of locating a quantity like that are somewhere between slim and none. On EU, it would be an even slimmer chance. At the time I built that original dimension, there was a snowball's chance in someplace very warm to find 5 stacks of planks--of any variety, so the vast majority of them were purchased straight off the store.

I don't know who makes these type of decisions, but I think this is a mistake, for what it's worth. When you've got very talented people building the Statue of Liberty and the Eiffel Tower from building blocks--and I'm more than fairly certain those building blocks were purchased directly from the shop, not the AH or from minion bags--I just think putting blocks up for direct sale might be a better idea. It would be a better idea to cut out building blocks from minion bags than putting them in a lockbox.

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I had to walk away and think about what I say instead of just reacting because I do understand how hard everyone works but all these months later the compromise for building blocks is adding Cadwelli, Trove and now this? Please tell me this isn't all because if it is I am truly disheartened because we are not being heard and I am wondering why. You could take a plain limestone and change it to all the Cadwelli colors and everyone would be over the moon - why so much resistance and stalling to the things the majority want?

Just leaving this here in another post earlier today:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    For Dimensioneers its becomes harder to enjoy the game as many things become credits only with RNG factor. I understand the need to pay for new items because it costs to make them but even with armor, mounts etc they become eventually available for a direct price.

When will this happen for Dimensions?

Example: Copper Sage Statue available in first Mystery Box two years ago only possible to gain this box via Affinity Rod RNG today without guarantee its in it or possible Stans Lure. The hoops and amount of items to try and get one is never ending. If I knew in a year that maybe that item (etc) became available like Mounts/Armor for direct purchase it wouldn't feel like my money is going on too many things I don't want.

All the items on the store for plat currently are in Minions. Will the store get turned over to give us more variety to spend plat?

I get the point of putting stuff in grab bags, and of course understand the need for dimension stuff to bring profit, especially with so many free items we get from minions and exchange, and with even more stuff just selling for crap prices on AH.

So even with some unfortunate experience with this kind of bags in the past, I generally support the idea and I am willing to spend credits on the bags including the new ones, I appreciate the work and effort of the Dim Team and I'll be happy to show it buying the stuff off the store.

That being said, I'd like to underline again that the issue with grab bags is not so much the randomness, but mostly the item list that brings disappointment. I'm not a gambling person (tho I used to be years ago), but I still love that "ohhh what do I get this time?" feeling I have before opening a box. But when you open a few of them and get the stuff you get from minions or for 2s on the AH... well you get the point. There should be a very obvious line between common items and non common items not in terms of "color" rarity but rather the source. Color rarity doesn't work with dim items the way it works with gear or crafting components, it's different for us, and it should be taken into account. When you can get something by paying a few gold coins on the AH it's not rare or exclusive anymore even if it's Relic.

So the only way to actually make those bags a really desirable thing that people would spend their credits on willingly is making all the items in them exclusive. Since we've all seen the positive changes in the loot tables lately, this isn't something difficult to do and I hope after a few adjustments considering all the wishes and feedback the dim bags will indeed become something we're all happy to spend credits on. Maybe it's time to make more separate types of them, like one for rare building blocks, another one for cool rare plants and trees, and so on. I'm sure there will be lots of ideas coming as usually.

I'm really excited about all the great news and looking forward to lots of dimension love during the Anniversary year, and thank you for all the hard work, for listening to us and for the patience!

~love, Laeti
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

9.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #9

We are very much open to trying new things to make this a bit more palatable for everyone.

In regards to things like building block direct purchases, what sort of credits cost do you think would be fair for something like this?

I for can see blimps and windmills and Giant buildings being in grab bags but building blocks. I am not angry I am disappointed. Thank you for your hard work though

We are very much open to trying new things to make this a bit more palatable for everyone.

In regards to things like building block direct purchases, what sort of credits cost do you think would be fair for something like this?
    Going between the old prices and the new insane credit prices of the marble I say 5 for planks rectangle, 8 for poles and tiles, 15 for spheres triangles and cubes. This is high for me to think of but gives a option.
    Last edited by Kitasia; 02-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitasia View Post
    Going between the old prices and the new insane credit prices of the marble I say 5 for planks rectangle, 8 for poles and tiles, 15 for spheres triangles and cubes. This is high for me to think of but gives a option.
    This doesn't seem too far fetched for some really spiffy blocks (not the colored marbles that you have to jump through a million hoops then spend a fortune on). For more standard types of blocks, however, the going rate for their equivalent, i.e. a recolored limestone being the same price or no more than 1 or 2 credits above the cost of white limestone.

For something like the ice blocks, I think Kit has a pretty good range--although that's steep enough that it would make me think about it for a second, for sure. Black and Green Marble currently runs from 2-6 credits per block on the shop (with Patron), perhaps 4-9 or 5-10 for ice would be appropriate.

Considering how long a lot of us have been asking for new building blocks, putting them in a lockbox, no matter what the guarantee is, is a kick in the pants. I've already got four (counting one on EU) guild banks full of crap I've gotten from Shal Korva boxes, Cosmos boxes, minion boxes, Fae Yule boxes and more--a lot of which I will never use, but given the cost, neither will I get rid of the items. I love dimensions and I don't mind supporting the game that hosts them, but I'm boxed out, to be honest.

We are possibly the only segment of the game that would be ecstatic if you just reskinned everything to other colors (not speaking for everyone, but I know several share this opinion).

Boxes that contained only new items and/or actually rare items (not the green and blue loyalty tier stuff that I've gotten from every affinity box I've opened--when I've capped silver) might be palatable, and that's pretty iffy.

Or, and this seems a worthwhile compromise, give us some carrots with the stick like putting some of the 2.7 box exclusive items on the store for direct sale since they're no longer the new hotness. Or keep the boxes but at least give us the option to buy some things directly. Some people like to gamble, and I get it. As I said above, I'm boxed out. I actually didn't have an issue with the Trove boxes, however, because they have the same thing in every box and I like knowing what I'm going to get.

But another box with the same loot table as the Shal Korva box or similar is not welcome--at least for me, and hasn't been since I opened one of those and got a key to Faen's Retreat, which you get for free as soon as you cap Green Tier Loyalty.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Baradara@Greybriar

13.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #13

We appreciate the feedback!

Just chiming in here to support the posts with suggestions for alternative methods of rolling out building blocks while still keeping the grab bag thing making money. Thanks @Morticus for all your efforts to try to keep your overlords and your dimension fanbase happy; it's a heck of a tough juggling act and I appreciate it.

As others have said, I'd love to be able to buy a stack of building blocks for credits only. But if a grab bag costs 315 credits (with patron discount) and I'll only get 3 building blocks out of it, that's 100 credits per item and too much to pay for a plank or a tile or a triangle.

Put building blocks in the store for credits only and they'll sell. At 10 credits per tile, that's 990 credits spent per stack - and you know you'll sell them, unlike some of the other specialty items. As others have said, add those one-use items to the grab bags and lots of folks will buy them.

I more than tripled my monthly Rift spend for Fae Yule grab bags because the loot table was improved. Maybe shuffle some things around and you'll see similar kinds of things happen. But building blocks out of a grab bag won't cut it for me, sorry.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Default Idea for Grab Bag

I have played off and on since launch, but am new to Dimensions. There are SO MANY dimension items I am not familiar with from years past. I heavily tour dims and constantly see things I would love to have (and pay money for), but they simply are no longer in circulation.

Please make a Bygones Bag, Archival Bag, Antiquities Bag - whatever you want to call it. Throw in 3-4 old goodies. I would drop coinage on a bag like that!
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (50), Prasutagus (32)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast