+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Terrain paints broken??

Default Terrain paints broken??

Ok, I'll admit I haven't worked on dim stuff in about a week + so I'm not sure when it started. But all my dims I have terrain paints in, they no longer work. And when I go into Mathosian Cascades there's none of my nemesis plants/grass/weeds.

Anyone else have this happen? I'd like the grass (life paint) in my park back please.

I have gone in and out on multiple toons to these dim to see and it seems to be across the board. Just thought I should throw the question out there if no one noticed anything.

Thanks guys!
    Fear is the little Death
    Trelvania -Necromancer on Faeblight

Try entering after a reboot of the Rift client, you should see them.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Trelvania View Post
    Ok, I'll admit I haven't worked on dim stuff in about a week + so I'm not sure when it started. But all my dims I have terrain paints in, they no longer work. And when I go into Mathosian Cascades there's none of my nemesis plants/grass/weeds.

Anyone else have this happen? I'd like the grass (life paint) in my park back please.

I have gone in and out on multiple toons to these dim to see and it seems to be across the board. Just thought I should throw the question out there if no one noticed anything.

Thanks guys!

Make sure you have "projected textures" on in your video settings (sometimes you need to turn them off and then back on for it to work).
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    Make sure you have "projected textures" on in your video settings (sometimes you need to turn them off and then back on for it to work).
    Hmm... this might be why I'm getting texture corruption!! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riseofseren View Post
    Hmm... this might be why I'm getting texture corruption!! Thanks!!!
    Usually there's several things that might lead to this:
    - projected textures toggled off + general lowest video settings;
    - some video settings combined with GC settings, that lead to vfx and ambient effects flickering and glitches (pitch black underwater as an example);
    - vfx glitches when you have too many vfx in your dim and especially if there's too many of them concentrated in one spot (like, a terrain paint, a groundrazer mushroom, vfx lights, tod, DW effects and such) - sometimes the PC settings or GC just can't handle it;
    - using terrain paint on objects that don't take on paints (all building blocks do, default terrain does, some of the rocks, SL banners, and also any bone structures take on terrain paints, I think there's somethings else but I forgot).

Default oooo

Good idea for me to check my vid settings. My computer barfed on me on Saturday while I was in game and since I'm still not sure exactly what happened I should go take a lookie at that.

I have my video settings usually pretty high, especially when in a dim so I can get full impact (plus the game is just pretty), so I'll go mess around with all of that tonight.

Thanks for those suggestions! (though I don't know whether to be sad at getting back all the grass in mathosian cascades or not) hee hee hee
    Fear is the little Death

Rift Disciple

Usually there's several things that might lead to this:
    - projected textures toggled off + general lowest video settings;
    - some video settings combined with GC settings, that lead to vfx and ambient effects flickering and glitches (pitch black underwater as an example);
    - vfx glitches when you have too many vfx in your dim and especially if there's too many of them concentrated in one spot (like, a terrain paint, a groundrazer mushroom, vfx lights, tod, DW effects and such) - sometimes the PC settings or GC just can't handle it;
    - using terrain paint on objects that don't take on paints (all building blocks do, default terrain does, some of the rocks, SL banners, and also any bone structures take on terrain paints, I think there's somethings else but I forgot).
    I actually had it enabled, will try with it off.

I actually had it enabled, will try with it off.
    Sometimes it bugs out, so you'd need to toggle it off and on again to "refresh". Also try to completely exit the game and then log back in (not just log out) after you do that, sometimes it's the client's fault, not yours :)

Default That was it!

Yup, it had turned itself off. Going to have to remember to check video settings after weirdness goes on with the system. I'll admit as well, this is the first MMO I've played on a desktop unit, so I'm not used to having to pay attention too much to video freak out. (I was a home on the weekends commuter so gaming on a laptop was the way to go for a long time)

Thank you Laeti!!!
    Fear is the little Death

what bothers me the most with terrain paint is that it is not "static" and donīt seamlessly overlap, these 2 things make terrain paint really useless for me. itīs not visible until you are really close, and try to paint a large area is impossible cause it just looks strange appearing and disappearing while you walk over it with strange effects where the overlaps are, making it only useful in small confined areas , overall the view distance of placed items in dimensions I think is sadly pretty horrible , I prefer changing the grounds appearance with placing stones / mountains sized to max over using terrain paint,
    in game name: Vikingmetal , Member of Morbid Angels @ Gelidra,hit me up any time if you need an extra sword
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=17592041&dateline=145  2743904

Quote Originally Posted by karlxii View Post
    what bothers me the most with terrain paint is that it is not "static" and donīt seamlessly overlap, these 2 things make terrain paint really useless for me. itīs not visible until you are really close, and try to paint a large area is impossible cause it just looks strange appearing and disappearing while you walk over it with strange effects where the overlaps are, making it only useful in small confined areas , overall the view distance of placed items in dimensions I think is sadly pretty horrible , I prefer changing the grounds appearance with placing stones / mountains sized to max over using terrain paint,
    First, I would again suggest looking at the video settings. You can change the object detailing and distance to the values you prefer and/or to your own PC/laptop capacity (the higher your settings are, the more resources they require, but the better picture you get).

Second, hardly anyone uses terrain paint as the only way of transforming the base dimension. Mostly it's a combination of landscaping materials, decorations, lights (they are essential) and vfx. So the terrain paint is really just a part that helps you with the transformation. Of course, there's always the object distance and flickering that might ruin the fun. One of the ways would be avoiding vast open spaces in the dim, and building on the highest settings you can pull out.

If you deliberately place the objects close to each other so that they would block the view and "split" the distance up in small "chunks" (spots), you can avoid the object distance bugs and performance flaws. That's not always possible with the transformation ideas and the base dimension features, but it's one way of doing it. For example, instead of just covering the terrain with a paint and then placing rocks and mountains at the dimension border, you can work with trees, rocks and other landscaping objects to fill in the space between your spot (whether it's the entry point, or one of the key dimension areas) and those far away mountains. So instead of standing in that spot and watching the mountains partially loading across the dim, you'd have smaller object groups close to you all the way between the entry/key spot and those mountains. Even with average settings, you won't have the object rendering problem because the closer they are, the faster they load and the more detailed you see them. Rendering might take some time after you enter the dim, if it's vfx heavy and the item limit is reached, but in general, if you always have some objects in front of you, the distance bugs won't bother you.
    Last edited by Laeti; 02-05-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Rift Disciple

Sometimes it bugs out, so you'd need to toggle it off and on again to "refresh". Also try to completely exit the game and then log back in (not just log out) after you do that, sometimes it's the client's fault, not yours
    Haven't seen any corruption since turning it off, but haven't played much. Worth noting it didn't increase fps at all turning it off and could hardly notice the difference for some reason.

Haven't seen any corruption since turning it off, but haven't played much. Worth noting it didn't increase fps at all turning it off and could hardly notice the difference for some reason.
    Turning projected textures on itself isn't really resource-heavy iirc, so if your PC/laptop handles Rift at least on normal video settings, it shouldn't change the performance at all :)

Personally I don't use the presets, and usually tweak the settings either for a better picture (when I build or tour), or for a better performance (when I pvp, pve etc). It's also important to know your GC settings and set them accordingly since it's sometimes essential for both performance and quality.

Rift Disciple

Turning projected textures on itself isn't really resource-heavy iirc, so if your PC/laptop handles Rift at least on normal video settings, it shouldn't change the performance at all

Personally I don't use the presets, and usually tweak the settings either for a better picture (when I build or tour), or for a better performance (when I pvp, pve etc). It's also important to know your GC settings and set them accordingly since it's sometimes essential for both performance and quality.
    Actually, this option does nothing, texture corruption happens when I reach first boss in Gyel Fortress and continues after that, even changes my autumn cloak to green (same texture corruption as what happened back with capes months ago).

Actually, this option does nothing, texture corruption happens when I reach first boss in Gyel Fortress and continues after that, even changes my autumn cloak to green (same texture corruption as what happened back with capes months ago).
    Now that sounds like a mystery *puts on her Sherlock Holmes hat*

Have you noticed anything like that besides the after-Gyel times? Have you submitted a bug report? Does relogging help? How long do you play before this happens (because lots of graphic glitches are tied to the time spent in the game and sometimes to the activities as well)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast