+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Sky Projectors

Default Sky Projectors

One of the most frequent questions I get regarding dimensions is what does each projector look like? Answering this usually involves me pulling one of each projector I own, inviting the person to an empty dimension and showing the projectors off, one by one. Posting the images of these projectors here will hopefully make things easier for people looking to find the perfect projector for their dimension.

**There are also great videos of what the projectors look like at http://dimensionaddicts.com/

Swamp Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

River of Souls Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Pitch Black Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Spring Day Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Sunny Day Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Squall Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Mount Sharax Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Space Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Mind of the Overseer Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Heavy Fog with Moon Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Draumheim Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Enchanted Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Coming Storm Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Autumn Harvest Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Heavy Fog Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Black Garden Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Brown Smoke Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Air Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Death Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Earth Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Fire Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Life Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Water Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Steppes of Infinity Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Conquest Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Nightmare Saga Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

End of Universe Sky Projector
    Spoiler!

Morning Sunrise Sky Projector
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Coldsprite; 01-25-2016 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Added Morning Sunrise Sky Projector

Prophet of Telara

question: is end of the universe any different from mount sharax? for example, does it block weather?

can't compare myself, no silver level :-)
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maegwynn View Post
    question: is end of the universe any different from mount sharax? for example, does it block weather?

can't compare myself, no silver level :-)
    End of the Universe, if I remember correctly, does not block weather. The angle and shading of the light is slightly different from Mount Sharax, and there's a slightly different pattern of the blue in the sky itself, otherwise, the two are pretty much exactly the same.

Shameless plug, we also put pics up of the Sky Projectors some months ago, here, along with costs and where to acquire them.

One thing to keep in mind with projectors is that they'll often look a bit different depending on which base dimension you use, and I'm not sure if the ambient light existing in the base dimension has an added effect on that or not. It's often better to test out projectors in the dimension planned for use, even though just plunking one down anywhere will give a decent idea of what the sky looks like.

EDIT: Actually, EoTU does stop weather effects (I'm getting old and forgetful). I was going to use it for a project, but the blue cast got annoying, so I switched it out for Starry Night.
    Last edited by Feendish; 01-25-2016 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Doh!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

General of Telara

Thanks for this Coldsprite.

Prophet of Telara

thanks for the answer, feendish!
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

General of Telara

I have to necro this thread...

The screenshots and videos are certainly useful, but I'm still having issues finding out which projectors actually react visually to time of day and which have their own fixed time. Haven't found any guide about that, but maybe I didn't search hard enough.

I'm pretty much looking for a really nice sunset or sunrise with a bit of clouds. So far I only know Sunny Day and Spring Day work like that, but they're not really 100% what I'm looking for.

I guess Black Garden and Morning Sunrise are fixed as they are...but no idea about many others like Squall, Light Fog etc. that might look cool at dawn time.
    Dimension Addon 'Tinker Tools' is now available on Curse!
    Or grab the latest development code on GitHub.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx3d View Post
    I have to necro this thread...

The screenshots and videos are certainly useful, but I'm still having issues finding out which projectors actually react visually to time of day and which have their own fixed time. Haven't found any guide about that, but maybe I didn't search hard enough.

I'm pretty much looking for a really nice sunset or sunrise with a bit of clouds. So far I only know Sunny Day and Spring Day work like that, but they're not really 100% what I'm looking for.

I guess Black Garden and Morning Sunrise are fixed as they are...but no idea about many others like Squall, Light Fog etc. that might look cool at dawn time.
    If you're on NA, you can send me a tell and I'll grab what I have and we can test them out. Or if you want, I can share the projectors with you on PTS so you have your own copy to test as you please.

Which dimension key are you using? If it doesn't have a sunny sky (I'm presuming) try using the Sunny Day or Spring Day with the early morning or late evening TOD's, one of my favorites is 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM and also 5:00 AM. Those two projectors work best for that effect in my opinion, some of the others have a bug with the haze, so I haven't been bothering with them. Good luck
    Last edited by Nouvae; 08-19-2016 at 04:57 PM.

General of Telara

Thanks for the offer Coldsprite. I don't have a PTS install currently though, disk space is a bit tight here currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    Which dimension key are you using? If it doesn't have a sunny sky (I'm presuming) try using the Sunny Day or Spring Day with the early morning or late evening TOD's, one of my favorites is 6:00 PM, 7:00 PM and also 5:00 AM. Those two projectors work best for that effect in my opinion
    Probably Mathosian Cascades, for the lack of a sylvan alternative. Too bad the Temple of the Abandoned returned after it went lost, those yellow autumn looking trees around would be the spot I'm looking for. Also the music there would fit it pretty well (Brevae music boxes pleeeease!)
    One issue with those projectors is though that the stars that come out look nothing like stars when you have Texture Quality at 2, and I just can't keep it at 3 until we get the 64bit client. It looks more like an airplace filled with toilet paper exploded

Right now I wish I could throw the Morning Sunrise and Conquest projector in a blender and use that...the former is too gloomy and latter too overexposed for my taste...

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    some of the others have a bug with the haze, so I haven't been bothering with them. Good luck
    Yes the fog system itself is still horribly broken, I hope they will fix this soon. Almost makes me want to abort the whole project again because it looks that sh****, even the Sunny Day projector has enough haze to ruin the mountain skyline

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Thanks for the offer Coldsprite. I don't have a PTS install currently though, disk space is a bit tight here currently.

Probably Mathosian Cascades, for the lack of a sylvan alternative. Too bad the Temple of the Abandoned returned after it went lost, those yellow autumn looking trees around would be the spot I'm looking for. Also the music there would fit it pretty well (Brevae music boxes pleeeease!)
    One issue with those projectors is though that the stars that come out look nothing like stars when you have Texture Quality at 2, and I just can't keep it at 3 until we get the 64bit client. It looks more like an airplace filled with toilet paper exploded

Right now I wish I could throw the Morning Sunrise and Conquest projector in a blender and use that...the former is too gloomy and latter too overexposed for my taste...

Yes the fog system itself is still horribly broken, I hope they will fix this soon. Almost makes me want to abort the whole project again because it looks that sh****, even the Sunny Day projector has enough haze to ruin the mountain skyline
    What about an Enchanted Sky Projector? I'm not a huge fan of the blue motes, but that projector has a number of qualities I do like: it tames a lot of the ambient light in places like MC, in looks and reactions to time, it's not too far different from a Sunny Sky, and it doesn't have the haze issues that I've ever noticed when I've used it.

I did a post about fixed time stuff last night, here's a list of fixed time projectors: Conquest Sky Projector, Starry Night Sky Projector, Autumn Harvest Sky Projector, Mount Sharax Sky Projector, End of the Universe Sky Projector, Pitch Black Sky Projector (!), Morning Sunrise Sky Projector, Squall Sky Projector, Light Fog Sky Projector, River of Souls Sky Projector, Space Sky Projector, the Planar Sky Projectors, and the Heavy Fog Sky Projector
    Last edited by Feendish; 08-20-2016 at 05:28 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Probably Mathosian Cascades, for the lack of a sylvan alternative.
    This dimension I made in Mathosian Cascades I used a Spring Day projector with 7:00 PM and it's a very nice sunset, with a warm glow all around and the mountains actually appear to be the color they are supposed to be.

Yes, it seems like Morning Sky is only usable in certain spaces, I've found that the smaller dimensions work better with it.

What I'm looking for is a weatherless, clear sky. Something that won't affect my utility dim ie "Trome's Studio 7 in Faeblight". But I'd settle for the clear skies of Shimmersand.

General of Telara

Thanks Feendish, I think that means the list of non-fixed projectors as way shorter then ^^
    From what I observed, air/fire/water/earth/life/death technically change the light with ToD, but still look the same anyway.

I guess for me your approach to set the mood first and then start building is not so much my thing...will probably try back and forth as I build. I'm not even sure I want a fixed time.
    And call me crazy, but right now I'm actually considering the nightmare saga projector during the night hours. Wonder if it was changed or it interacted with some other things in my storage dim, but it looks a lot better than I remembered.

General of Telara

Just when you think you finally understood it...
    So I tested the Spring Day in Mathosian Cascades, and the Nightmare Saga in Casatle Fortune. Placing Time of Day items changes the direction and color of the light for both, all fine.

That's what I thought, until I decided to put the result from Castle Fortune to Mathosian Cascades. Now the light doesn't change at all with ToD, so apparently the Nightmare Saga projector doesn't change the default light direction, while the Spring Day projector does.

So there's really projectors that override the sun, and those that don't? And for those that do, it depends if the sun is fixed or moves with time?

I'm still trying to figure out why placing JUST a Sky Projector (no time of day) in Mathosian Cascades keeps glitching.

Sky Projectors-2016-06-27_165829.jpg

This is what it look like most of the time with the Stormy Sky projector, I think it's called. Almost shockingly bright. And then every now and again, it goes to this:

Sky Projectors-2016-06-27_165814.jpg

You will notice it is much more subdued. I actually *PREFER* this, but the "Time of Day" markers suck, because they don't cover the entire dim, and Mathosian Cascades is HUGE.
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 09-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast